Garrett Storm?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering if they will update the AT Pro, to a SMF machine like the Equinox or Legend?

2 minutes ago, MD4V.org said:

I'm wondering if they will update the AT Pro, to a SMF machine like the Equinox or Legend?

Yes, that is their intentions, the debate is about in which direction they will go with the new model, I highly doubt it will be an AT Pro detector with a SMF PCB in it, It will be an entirely new model, hopefully a design that looks like the Apex with that nice big screen size.  A colour screen with more functionality would be good though.

On 3/28/2024 at 11:06 AM, Rick N. MI said:

Would have been nice if Minelab had continued with and upgraded the Sovereign.

Looking forward to seeing what Garrett comes up with.

I can't verify this but I was told that after the X-Terra was released there were discussions of putting BBS into that shell.  Would have been an interesting concept.  Actually, taking the Excalibur and keeping BBS but changing the case/control design could be very interesting.  BBS is still quite good in the water and at a saltwater beach.  Unfortunately, companies in general don't look back at technology when they develop products so I seriously doubt if it will ever happen.  

Bill

On 3/28/2024 at 10:47 AM, Geotech said:

SMF is either 23 or 33 years old, depending on your definition of SMF. And I would not be so sure it's peaked.

I hope you're right. Any ideas where else it could go ? I seem to remember reading that the Equinox was the first to run SMF, not to be confused with FBS/FBS2. But then again you can't believe everything you read I guess.

On 3/28/2024 at 11:24 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

It hasn't peaked yet from what I am seeing from the Manticore and Deus 2 compared to late 1990s and since the Equinox in 2018. Most of the people saying it's peaked haven't been able to use this newer tech.

So Jeff, tell us folks that aren't able to use this newer tech, where, in your opinion can it go ? You already have way over powered machines that in most cases can't be cranked up past two thirds. EMI mitigation and unmasking ability is top notch so what else could SMF do ? Better target ID, maybe. So far I haven't seen it. Maybe you're right, maybe they will squeeze more out of SMF. IMO there is a newer tech coming.

According to Nasa Tom. In heavy iron we recover about 5% of the non ferrous that's under the iron.  . A detector that can see thru iron is what most would like to see. 

I don't know if it's possible. Maybe Garrett has something new. I'm anxious to see what it is.

4 hours ago, markinswpa said:

So Jeff, tell us folks that aren't able to use this newer tech, where, in your opinion can it go ? You already have way over powered machines that in most cases can't be cranked up past two thirds. EMI mitigation and unmasking ability is top notch so what else could SMF do ? Better target ID, maybe. So far I haven't seen it. Maybe you're right, maybe they will squeeze more out of SMF. IMO there is a newer tech coming.

I don't know where it can go. I just use the detectors, I don't design them.

Like others have said, the Garrett Ace Apex which has a form of simultaneous multi frequency tech, was meant to be an advancement of the Ace line of detectors. It certainly is. 

I have no doubt that Garrett's Storm will be an advancement of its AT line of detectors if the Storm is an all terrain VLF. If it has anything like what was mentioned in the Russian video.......great for Garrett and great for their customers.

Multi IQ was released with the Equinox 600/800 6 years ago. Before that, if I wanted to use an SMF detector I would have to use a Whites or Minelab on land and neither one did what they said they would do where I detect which was: handle natural iron mineralization very well, detect a wide range of conductive non-ferrous targets very well, detect really small targets that were sub 0.5 grams really well, or keep their target ID accuracy on deeper targets. They had just OK target separation and did not have even decent ergonomics.

Minelab's Multi IQ Equinox 600/800 addressed all of those things very successfully and made detecting where I live for the targets I want to hunt, a lot more fun.

The Equinox Multi IQ 700/900 certainly fixed some of the external flaws in the 600/800 original design. Whether it's a better performing detector ?????

The Manticore Multi IQ+ definitely is a better performing detector than the 600/800 and has all of the same external fixes that the 700/900 has.

The Nokta Legend and Deus 2 are just better than the Equinox 600/800 as far as actual detecting in my opinion where I detect with them.  

I can run the Legend and Deus 2 at 95% sensitivity just about anywhere. Manticore works well for me at 85%. I haven't tried it any higher yet. So yeah, I can run them higher than 66.6%.

Did three manufacturers improve on the Equinox 600/800 .....yes. So was SMF in the form of Multi IQ on the Equinox 600/800 the peak.....no.

These detectors are able to process target information faster with way less interference from the ground itself. If that can be improved more, I will take that any day.

I will take an inch or two of more depth any day. 

I will take better IDs on those deeper targets any day.

I will take user adjustable frequency selection (more advanced than Deus 2 max frequency) any day.

I will take any kind of functional imaging that makes target identification easier any day.

Whether the tech is maxed out or not is a matter of perception. Some think another inch will change everything. Others would say another inch is less than 10% more depth over what we have now, so evidence we are maxing out. Whatever.

A color screen will not find me more of anything. GPZ 7000 type power with good ferrous/non-ferrous type discrimination is all I need. Right now you have to choose between maximum depth, or good discrimination at shallower depths. Surely somebody will crack that nut someday, but I'm not holding my breath for it.