Rye Patch Nevada Rare Specimen Gold, Crystals, Field Training & Photos

18 hours ago, Norvic said:

Wow that is a spectacular piece of gold. Thank you for sharing Gerry.

The most amazing one I seen from RP was a 1 ozt.  Stood about 1.5" tall and was a triangle with 3 sides and a bottom.  Most amazing chevron on all 3 sides.  The finding was an old friend from Reno area that used to stay down there weeks at a time in the 90's.

The amazing piece in the pic below was recovered by one of my Field Staff just a few miles down the road.  Beautiful gold has come from that country for sure.  This is a pic looking from top of the rock, notice the hole.

Rarg.thumb.JPG.64aad59faf20bb5ca373228c72c18f95.JPG

Pic below is the bottom of the same nugget.  Most interesting, there is a hole right in the middle that goes all the way through.

SpencWeb3.jpg.af02604d6d9e60df889dba30c14cdb1e.jpg

Left is 1.5 ozt and the right one is 1/2 ozt.

Rarb.thumb.JPG.a5bdac28fabf77c167a30f39dc670052.JPG

Glad you enjoy seeing something different.

Northern Nevada does have some of the best specimen’s. This was found north of Rye Patch.

D9325A1B-FD83-49D1-B2E9-F9254DC441C1.jpeg

1 hour ago, RONS DETECTORS MINELAB said:

Northern Nevada does have some of the best specimen’s. This was found north of Rye Patch.

D9325A1B-FD83-49D1-B2E9-F9254DC441C1.jpeg

Just amazing

Wow you fellows can display that sort of eye candy any day, spectacular, amazing, magic there just aren`t enough adjectives to do them justice. 

Wow, simply beautiful. How do those form? Are they unique in their composition that causes crystallization, or is it a physical process that causes it?

From a previous post:

“A hopper crystal is a form of crystal, the shape of which resembles that of a pyramidal hopper container.

The edges of hopper crystals are fully developed, but the interior spaces are not filled in. This results in what appears to be a hollowed out step lattice formation, as if someone had removed interior sections of the individual crystals. In fact, the "removed" sections never filled in, because the crystal was growing so rapidly that there was not enough time (or material) to fill in the gaps. The interior edges of a hopper crystal still show the crystal form characteristic to the specific mineral, and so appear to be a series of smaller and smaller stepped down miniature versions of the original crystal."

12 hours ago, Lunk said:

From a previous post:

“A hopper crystal is a form of crystal, the shape of which resembles that of a pyramidal hopper container.

The edges of hopper crystals are fully developed, but the interior spaces are not filled in. This results in what appears to be a hollowed out step lattice formation, as if someone had removed interior sections of the individual crystals. In fact, the "removed" sections never filled in, because the crystal was growing so rapidly that there was not enough time (or material) to fill in the gaps. The interior edges of a hopper crystal still show the crystal form characteristic to the specific mineral, and so appear to be a series of smaller and smaller stepped down miniature versions of the original crystal."

That’s pretty interesting how they are actually fractals in how they form, their shapes are very unique and it’s interesting how just a small inclusion of certain minerals in the mix affects the resulting shape of the nuggets.

I searched a bit but was unable to find any specific XRF analysis of Rye Patch Chevron nuggets, has anyone come across this? I’m really interested in what the mineralogy aspects are of them. Also, do these occur anywhere else in the US?

9 hours ago, GotAU? said:

I searched a bit but was unable to find any specific XRF analysis of Rye Patch Chevron nuggets, has anyone come across this? I’m really interested in what the mineralogy aspects are of them. Also, do these occur anywhere else in the US?

I don't have an XRF analyzer. 

I have seen some similar in a certain area in California that's very close to Reno.  Also, some Chevron pattern gold has come from Venezuela and it's spectacular as well. 

Yes it would be interesting to learn how these rare pieces of art actually form.