Initial Run With GPZ 19 Coil

Bada Bing

I've gotten many a false signal on tree roots with my 14" coil. I'm very pessimistic when checking any targets with my GPZ near the base of oak trees where I detect. Saguaro and prickly pear cactus roots have also given me false readings that sound like faint, deep targets. Like hot ground though the signal from tree roots is usually a broader sweep and after taking a few inches off the response doesn't get any louder like it should. 

I've noticed the same, Tortuga.  I just excavated a Palo Verde tree for 2 1/2 feet.   Sound didn't increase but I had to check it.  So glad I didn't have a 19" coil.  I probably would have had to remove the entire tree. :wacko:

Also noted that Pin Pointers are definitely out when using a GPZ.  Doesn't matter how high I carry it, even a 14" coil will sense it.

I think some vegetation has conductive water inside it, due to electrolytes or ions or whatever. It's very similar, or identical maybe to detecting salt or alkali ground, especially when the ground gets wet.

Detecting gnarly wet salt ground with the GPZ feels about like detecting one giant field-wide barrel cactus buried about 6" deep to me.

The 19 inch does give off a louder,harder to pick signal on tree roots, than the 14 inch coil.l ran in manual tracking today and the GPZ did run ok in manual ground balance.l actually lost the signal on a test target today, it gound balanced out with the 19 inch coil.So l decided to run in manual ground balance because of this.

Funny you should say that Ken. I ran yesterday in auto for the first time (never been a fan - I run in manual all the time). I didn't like it. I am finding I can run in normal mode more with the 19" and the hot rocks are far less which is a big step foward. I haven't walked over anything yet but it's a matter of time.

Re: tree roots. Yes, had many with the 14". New coil means dig everything ......... for the next month anyway until I get a handle on it. 

cheers

BB

Ok l will try normal mode,running in manual,l have almost always used auto mode with the 14 inch and l ran the 14 inch in Normal,High Yield mode most of the time. But l find High Yield , Difficult gives me the best results with the 19 inch.I have not walked over any thing yet either on some old patches,but l am satisfied with the performance of the 19 inch coil and believe it will get the gold if it is there.

I've been a High Yield guy since I've had my Z but for the last few months I've switched to General. Seems a little more stable on hot ground and I don't have to dig as many microscopic pieces of wire and iron. I'm honestly looking for the larger, deeper stuff anyways. I'm ok with missing a few sub-gram dinks along the way. 

I've been trying HY and again I'm not a fan. Seems unstable to me as I've always been in general. Only slight irritation with general on the 19" are the false signals when you knock it around. This coil will be on for the next six months and yes I'm looking for the big stuff. Only need one ........

l will have to bury some bigger test targets down deeper and try General on them.l am not seeing much performance on current testing in General mode.But that may be my limited test targets l have buried.