Proud Of This One

LukeJ

Hey all....

I was out last weekend in an area I had been a few times before.  After spending some time hunting the 'trashy' side of the gully.  I made my way over to a spot where I picked up a couple right on the surface a few months earlier.  The day I found the 'first two' I spent the rest of the day scouring the immediate area for any other 'easy' nuggets.  Ended the day with just the two...

So anyways,  I kept looking at that spot and thinking there is no way I got the last two nuggets from this little 'patch'.  My 5000 was running real smooth with the 11" Commander mono and I was running sensitive extra, gain 13, stabilizer 10, motion slow.  I was just creeping along, investigating anything that made a peep.  After 45 minutes or so, I picked up on an intermittent signal.  It was there about half the time.  I discovered that I couldn't swing directly over it because there was a large, buried quartz rock that the coil would bump if I kept it on the ground.  If I lifted the coil off just a bit, the signal wasn't there anymore.  I was able to get the target signal consistently if I swung the coil in a crescent motion hugging the side of the quartz 'boulder'.

So I started to dig.  Got down a couple inches and there's a dark grey/black rock and I'm thinking, 'oh, great...Hot rock'.  It was about the size of a grapefruit when I got it out of the hole.  Not a hot rock, and target still there and definitely a target now.  Two more grapefruit sized 'wannabe hot rocks' and now it's screaming.  I'm down about 10 inches and starting to scrape crumbly bedrock.  Another inch or two, and out pops this beautiful 1 gram nugget.  :biggrin:

Luke

20171119_145709 (2).jpg

It's a beauty!

Mitchel