Day 2 Hunt

Dan(NM)

Well, I must say today was very interesting in more ways than one. I went back to the old high school again today expecting to dig more nickles. That didn't happen, but, I was able, after digging quite a few beaver tails, to call then before digging them. They rang up in my soil at 11-12 solid hits. Yesterday the nickles read a solid 13, I did get fooled a couple times by ring tabs. I was able to dig my first silver today,  a 41 Merc at 4-5" read 24-26, it was a screamer. I was running 5 tones, recovery at 5, 0 iron bias, sens at 20, park mode1 manual GB.  After a couple of hours of digging a dozen or so small items that read from 8-19, I decided to cherry pick. I went into Park 2,  2-tones, recovery speed at 4, tone break  set to -9 -20 with the volume turned all the way down, lowest tone pitch possible, manual GB, sens 23. I was only able to hit a wheat sitting on top of the ground where a pipe had been put in and then a copper bracket about an 1" long at 9".  This is where it gets interesting. I got the hit on the bracket , very intermittent high tone, very iffy hit. I knew before digging how deep it was by using my Periscope Probe, I hit it at a solid 9"  I decided to run thru each mode to test how each one would sound,  each mode hit the target, but, not very clean. This was the eye opener, when I came back to Park 1, the signal cleaned up considerably. The tone was cleaner and more consistent, then I remembered reading in the quick start guide that Park 1 was for general hunting and coins, while Park 2 was for fine jewelry. I'm only guessing, but, Park 2 must use a different set of frequencies than Park 1. I quickly did a master reset and modified Park 1 to 2-tones, recovery speed at 5, tone break  set to -9 -20 with the volume turned all the way down, lowest  tone pitch possible, manual GB, sens 23

I worked my way back to my car getting ready to leave. On my final pass I get a repeatable high tone and a bouncing 23 every other pass. When I pinpointed the number stayed at 23. Again, using my Periscope, I made contact with the target at 9" cut the plug, dug out the dirt down to the 9" mark. I located the target again with my probe, took my finger and pulled the dirt off the coin exposing a shiny looking coin :biggrin: You can see in the photo the dirt I pulled off the coin. I measured the depth and sure enough, a little over 9"  That's exactly what I was hoping to see, deep silver , proper ID on top of that.

I scanned the hole again  and got another hit off to the side about 6", repeatable, ID at 24-25 down 7". I'm thinking  double silver baby!!! Well, it turned out to be a jack :)

I left there thinking it may be time to sell my new CTX, I don't think I'll be using it any time soon, why would I???  I had a Deus, Etrac and now the CTX in the last 3 years, I may get beat up for this, but, I see no need for  having any other machine after seeing what I've witnessed in just 9 hours of hunting.  I've been hunting on and off for almost 30 years, I'm very excited about this machine and the potential once someone puts in the time necessary to master it.  I've gone from being a believer to being a knower  after what I've seen in  just 2 days!!!

BTW....In 2-tones, Iron Bias is not adjustable, the option isn't avaialble.  Also, I've decided I'll need to video a few of the deeper hits before digging so that I don't get called out for exaggerating my digs.

merc.jpg

rosie.jpg

depth.jpg

hs coins.jpg

Park 1 uses a lower frequency bias, where as park 2 uses a higher frequency bias, according to the manual.   Nice Digs.

Dan , there will always be people who don't believe you no matter how you present the facts.  Ignore the negative nellies!  

Happy Hunting.

I no longer believe, but know...........:biggrin:

12 minutes ago, canslawhero said:

nice writeup Dan, very useful...when you say manual GB, you mean you did the 'pump' method to set the GB? if so, what was the GB number it settled on?

Yes, I did  the pumping method, my ground must very very mild here, hit at 0 or +1 or 2

Dan!  Thanks for the write up... And sharing your settings, and results. Your comment about your Deus and CTX supports what many others are saying.  Can't wait to hear about Day 3.  Tim