GPZ Tips And Tricks

My GPZ arrives in two weeks and while I wait with nail biting anticipation I'm trawling the net for information on this machine.
My opportunities to get onto gold are limited as I live 4 hours by road from any gold bearing ground and this means I have to plan my detecting time in near military detail. To this end any info on the GPZ will go a long way towards maximising my results. I'm sure there are others in the same predicament.
There is very useful info from JP and Steve on GPZ operation being posted and this has wetted my appetite for more on how to make this machine sing like my 5000.
To this end is it practical for GPZ tips and tricks to be posted in a single location?
Cheers
Peter

Hehh :)  Don't take this critical but your thought maybe more along the lines of keeping a patch a secret.  Its rare someone will put you on the gold before they flog the patch and settings for this and that here and there are kind of like gold.

I remember my old friend telling me about a conversation in Leonora at the laundry of an old fella who was commenting on his machine being noisy.  Seems he got a bit of "good" advice from another prospector to run his machine in Cancel.  The guy was most pleased that the noise stopped but was a bit put out he was not finding anything.

I expect that one would have to take the moral of that story, don't believe what you are told and learn your machine, to heart.  Though this is an honest forum such advice could be varied much like running in Cancel.  Besides I think I find hunting down info as fun as learning it myself because there is often subtleties in the stories that go with the advice.  I face it also as a fact that work was put into the information so I would expect others to work to get the same information ;)

Just a thought but I do look forward to what others are finding even if its not setting specific info for this or that particular location.

• Like 1

I'm not looking for info on your gold location, they are, like mine, confidential and shared with few.

With Minelab very silent on how this machine works the intent is simply to share findings on the operation of the GPZ.

A bit like the 5000, the way this machine works is widely known and this helps to ensure the settings are correct for the masses.

I realise that in these early day's there will be settings or techniques in particular circumstances that people will be unwilling to share. That's fine, IP is hard won and needs to be protected but it would be good if those general "light bulb" moments are shared

Cheers

Peter

Just got a 7000 a few days ago and can't wait to get over to the black hills and try it out ( just a little more snow to melt ) been out hunting lead and learning to pinpoint and how to use the gps. Still learning but don't think it will be a long process.

Peter;

1. Start doing one handed push ups with your detecting arm.

2. Minelab has the price on the 7000 so low that they couldn't afford to print a good instruction book. Find one on line and print it.

3. Use the Koss headphones for knee pads.

The GPZ is simple and even if you don't have the optimum settings it still probably out performs the 5000 in MOST situations.

Drive on over and I'll share what I've learned about it.

• Like 2

Peteren, no worries I know where you want to go with your thoughts ;)  Like you I'd like a ready guide for that type of info but I have seen a lot of caution on taking one tid bit or another over the years.  Hehh, I put up a post here about making a lodgic tree with the settings to use as a guide and one other agreed but the sound of crickets in the desert is deafening.  Honestly though the tech is to new and I am hesitant to post anything about my own testing for reasons of soundness.

As others are saying in a nutshell : Its a get up and go machine.  Tweeking helps but overall its a beastly thing (not just on the pocket book or the detecting arm) and there's not much to be said about a big dog when it finds something it likes.

Kosh headsets for kneepads! LOL  The best setting is setting it down to dig that nugget, slug or reef.

• Like 1

Well, the machine is new and though I have more time on it than most (not all) I am hesitant to say I know for sure what works best where and why. The reality is the GPZ is quite simple so I do not expect there will be too many secrets to learn.

The only really big tip I have right at this moment is to repeat what JP has said. Even though the GPZ acts deceptively like the previous PI models it is entirely different and anything you thought you knew is best forgot. Treat it like what it is - new machine working a new way.

My recommendation so far for the U.S. normally mild compared to Oz conditions is always use High Yield. Use Normal Ground if you can, Difficult Ground only if you have to, and leave Smoothing Off. Sensitivity as high as is stable.

That said, there IS NO MAGIC SETTING for all locations. If there were, the settings would not be needed or included. The GPZ would just have a power switch.

As has been said, early days. One thing I promise anyway - I have no problem sharing good settings. Anyone who is here to take and not share needs to leave.

• Like 1