Nearly Sold The 800 - Glad I Didn't

Jin

Some months back I bought the equinox and struggled to understand how to use it as I mentioned in a rant on this forum previously. The best advice I got was from Steve to turn down the sensitivity. I did that, turning it way down from the factory preset. Things started to make sense, instead of numbers and sounds going off every swing targets were more discernable. Side note: Id never used coin detecting machines before only gold detectors.

After digging up the front lawn and finding many coins I headed of to the beach slowly getting the hang of the 800 gradually raising the sensitivity until in some spots I was able to raise the sensitivity till it was flat out and was picking up some nice coins at depth. I was soon able to work out what was ground noise and targets, similar to the way I operate my gpx. The other thing I tested was using a coin as a test and seeing what changing the recovery speed did. Backing it right off to 1 definitely got more depth.

Recently a mate who has the 800 and me hit an old caravan park set on a beach location that not everyone knows about. We waited till the tide went out and hit the mud flats. Targets were absolutely everywhere. Many where sinkers which helped me replenish my fishing tackle box. We both came home with a gold ring each and many pre-decimal coins. I went back last week and cleaned up again. Working the mud flats was pretty disgusting as we were sinking in the mud and covered from head to toe in it.  Trying to dig mud is not easy but I guess that's where the rewards are lying so well be back for sure

I'm happy you kept the machine.   The more you hunt the better you will understand.

Hi Jin,

I hear and read about stories like yours often especially from people that are new to detecting or are moving from a beginner detector to the Equinox. Usually, like you they have moved out of the default settings and raised the sensitivity too high or are hunting with the ferrous accept/ reject horseshoe button accidentally engaged and don’t understand why their Nox is messed up. I’m really glad you got some help and stuck with your Nox.

I own and regularly use both the 600 and the 800. I keep trying to convince myself to sell my 600 which I had planned to do originally. I just can’t do it! The 600 is easily as good or better than any comparable detector out there!

Jeff

In the water beach hunting it can get chatty.   Like you said it took a bit to learn what was a target vs minerals.   Most of the water machines ive used it was all about getting them as quiet as you could.   I soon learned that running an Xcal in PP ..... i was hearing the same minerals ... they were just not modulated on the Nox so louder.   No complaints about what this machine has found me.  By the way if you dont have one.... make a sifter..... wont help with the digging but it will speed recovery of the targets and reduce some of those aches and pains from shaking that scoop out.