New Minelab MicroNox

As far as I know the first person to do a conversion of the Equinox to the Golden Mask telescoping rod was our very own Condor on this forum.

Now, what I really want is this nifty adapter made for just this purpose. The Golden Mask upper rod is too large in diameter (must contain telescoping sections) and so an adapter is the best solution, but the one in the link does not appear to be easily available in the U.S. I am customer #1 for whoever out there makes this available for sale in the U.S.

Being stuck with frozen ground I decided to get started with a modification of what Condor did. I cut two clamps in half. I also cut the mounting bolts in half (Condor used studs) and used the shortened versions to attach the clamp sections in place. I did not modify the unit in any way and it could be returned to original if I choose though I would need new bolts. Condor ground his Equinox down a bit for a better fit. Mine seems sturdy enough so I am leaving as is in hope that someday I will get the proper adapters to use.

This machine is intended to stuff in a rucksack and for initial purposes I went as light and compact as possible using the 6" coil. Obviously the stock coil adds weight/bulk - see Condor's post.

The photos say it best. New Minelab MicroNox at 2 lbs 8.6 ounces (2.5 lbs) that collapses to a cool 24" without disassembly. And extends farther than the coil cable will allow. Feels like a feather on my arm - I like it!

The Equinox used here is older and will never be submerged and so it gets dedicated as a rucksack unit. Another Equinox will be rigged with the 15" coil on a balanced rod assembly. To do it right I should get one of Steve's new rods and I may yet in a few months. For now I think I will use an old Minelab GP fiberglass rod assembly I still have, one of Otto's old rods. And a third will stay with stock rod and coil for general use. Three Equinox may seem like going overboard but I hate reconfiguring detectors and for what I sold my GPX 7000 for I can get a few more and still have money left over!! Basically I am getting rid of everything else and rewarding myself with anything I want as regards Equinox.

golden-mask-rod.jpg
Golden Mask telescoping rod stripped of pistol grip handle

minelab-equinox-handle-modification-clamps.jpg
Clamp sections bolted to handle using original screws cut to half length

minelab-equinox-handle-modification.jpg
View showing how rough this all is and why you may not want to do it. Note bolt heads touching shaft on right - I may pad

minelab-equinox-golden-mask-rod-swap.jpg
24" collapsed, 2 lbs 8.6 ounces on postal scales

minelab-equinox-golden-mask-rod-micronox.jpg
And in the sun!

minelab-micronox-metal-detector.jpg
Minelab MicroNox ready for use!

Steve,

Nice DIY shaft adapters for the control head.

I am still looking for the shaft adapters mentioned in one of our "favorite" blogs.  (Lol)

https://md-hunter.com/minelab-equinox-shaft-adapter-another-shaft/

Goes to the trouble of describing them and showing a pic but no links or mention of where they can be obtained.  Someone in the comments section noted that they look like motorbike handlebar accessory adapters.

BTW Steve - with three Equinoxes, besides a specialized usage micronox grabngo machine, large coil machine, and stock configuration.  You can also have one running original firmware and another running the upgrade (less falsing vs. better edge-on performance).

The "G" Man

Hi Chase,

The link back in my post to Condor's thread has another set of adapters with video and everything... but where to get them? Probably Russian.

See the little white sticker in the upper right on my pod? Says 1.5.0. There is another sticker on a different unit - says 1.7.5

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Hi Chase,

The link back in my post to Condor's thread has another set of adapters with video and everything... but where to get them? Probably Russian.

See the little white sticker in the upper right on my pod? Says 1.5.0. There is another sticker on a different unit - says 1.7.5

Awesome.  Great minds...ha ha.

849615713_oktober5iphone5S2018028_DxO.jpg.0680e6e03da9b0f078e6b15e95b4533e.jpg

According to me, the best option is still this adapter,,it's a solid monolith ... in this set also have  pads to hold for 3 coils..  ....even on a large coil, it's a surprise for the detector's compactness...

https://www.lovecpokladu.cz/eshop/produkt/set-pro-pripojeni-jednotky-minelab-equinox-600-800-k-teleskopicke-tyci

El Nino, I tried to purchase one of these adaptors from them but they have no easy way of payment such as paypal etc.   I think the language barrier made communication with them difficult as well.  They have a very good looking adapter and I'm sure they would sell 100's if they would modify their website to allow overseas buyers a simple way to purchase.

Echidna .. do you already have an adapter ?,  ..Lovec pokladu..it's Minelab dealer and service-Is there a possibility to pay by Credit card.... and Go-pay ..What the best communication is to send them an email ...- there would be no problem to communicate ...