If Only You Could Go Back In Time

The Poseidon Nugget’ was unearthed in the Parish of Waanyarra. The huge nugget weighed 953 oz gross and 703 oz net. Woodall and party found the nugget 10
inches underground, 2 inches above bedrock with much quartz. This find began the last of the big rushes to the area.[1906] On private land. This [Poseidon] was the last great alluvial rush in Victoria.

3000 were camped here in 1906 with store established catering for all the miners’ needs. One storekeeper was charged and fined for selling sly grog. The reef above and opposite the gully had been rushed in 1859, but this side neglected. It was nearly fifty years before John Porter testing the ground with a hand auger, found wash and sank a shaft onto nuggets.

From its size, more large nuggets have come from this lead than any other in the world. 703 oz, 675 oz, thirteen others over 100 oz, nineteen from 50-99 oz, fifty two from 20-49 oz and two hundred and eight from 1-19 oz. ... the Premier awarded [James Porter] £500 for the discovery. He was the last man to receive a reward for the discovery of a new goldfield in Victoria.

Tarna_001.jpg?m=1510624413

Nuggets from the Poseidon Rush. Left: "The Christmas Box" - 18 December 1906 Middle: "The Poseidon" - 18 December 1906 Right: "The Federal" - 12 December 1906 David Gordon Collection.

nugget2.jpg?m=1510624413

Poseidon Nugget. This is the actual hole from which the monster nugget came to light in 1906. Looking west down the course of the lead. David Gordon Collection.

poseidon_001.jpg?m=1510624413

The above images are from the excellent Tarnagulla.Org website. Well worth a visit.

Found only a few small pieces here personally, but was following up on Jim Stewart, Reg Wilson and John Hider Smith. These guys didn't miss much!

Found only a few small pieces here personally, but was following up on Jim Stewart, Reg Wilson and John Hider Smith. These guys didn't miss much!

I don't know who 'said' that but it brings up an observation ... should I follow or avoid the trail of these greats when seeking nuggets in May?  haha  (And just think, there were 3000 combing the area long before these guys!)

Mitchel

I may be wrong but I believe this specimen with 72 ounces of gold in it was found at Poseidon only a few years ago by the people that now have the lease there

72 Ounces.JPG

I love seeing pictures of the old miners at work. It would be nice to have a few hanging on my wall in my office.

strick

10 hours ago, phoenix said:

I maybe wrong but I believe this specimen with 72 ounces of gold in it was found at Poseidon only a few years ago by the people that now have the lease there

72 Ounces.JPG

The area has been bulldozed beyond recognition since I was there years ago.

Much more gold was found at depth.

I went to the Poseidon area in 1980 but saw it was private land, and thought it was too much trouble to get permission, as there was a lot of virgin ground in the bush elsewhere in those days.?  

Not too far from where I'll get some training.  ?

I'll have to look at the locations for the other 4 in this video.