Hey, Steve, very clear and useful info; especially with the pics.

I am surprised you donot need a bigger pick...I found myself wishing for a backhoe my last trip to nevada. 

fred

• Like 2

Don't forget the HIP STICK made by Chris Porter!! This will save your back. I have used it in Alaska,

England, and the States and swear by it. I couldn't detect with out it!!

• Like 2

Yup,

Looks about right....  I have an endless supply of used backpacks I modify for my water bottles and battery. I find that a regular back pack works out for me as I do pack in the essentials ..just in case this or that. Great photos and great post!

Fred

• Nice post. I was out prospecting a local river this weekend and actually had my Canon camera out and in my hand, ready to go. I noticed a large bird swooping across the river, thought it was just a vulture, until I saw the white tail feathers and realized I had just missed a bald eagle shot.
  • Is that the waterproof orange Garrett pinpointer? Any advantage to a waterproof pinpointer in the dry desert?

-Tom V.

Hi Tom,

Yes, that is the Garrett AT Pro Pointer. No advantage in being waterproof in the desert per se but being environmentally protected can't hurt. So far it is my all time favorite pinpointer.

Steve, on average how far and how long do you hike from your vehicle.

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

The number one difference for me from my days in Alaska is how close I can get to most stuff with my 4-Runner. In Nevada I am often parked 5 minutes away!! But I do like to go on walkabouts and the program there is to go that way for a couple hours before looping back to my vehicle so I often get a couple hours detecting distance from the rig. But that is swinging the detector. Actual distance would almost never be more than a couple miles from my truck.

Great post, Steve.

My set up is very much like yours but after seeing some of your kit I will add some things to mine. Thank you!

I don't pack my pin pointer when prospecting as the SDC, with it's small coil, pin points very well. It would have come in handy this past weekend though so I may have to start bringing it. Not for nuggets, but for the relics around the old mining camps using the Nokta. I would imagine it must help with the 7000 and it's large coil?

Dean

Hi Steve,

I like the hydro pack you wear.

It is pretty hard to find an outfit that will sell just one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

* Added Nov. 27th: I finally was able to bag one from a place

that agreed to sell me just one.

It is a well made, well thought out pack.

I'm happy.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By SidTheKid
      I got my scoop today. I shouldve done more research before buying one but wanted to get out asap and this one shipped fast. I'll try it out tomorrow or friday. After watching some YouTube videos it seems the guys have scoops with much bigger mouths and more holes drilled. 
      This is mine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX79QFT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• By dogodog
      I would like to introduce to you my new favorite hand digger. After about three weeks of detecting, I have come to love this new digger I have come across. It's small, light weight (about 10 1/2 oz.) and super strong. The handle design is not your typical T handle, It is reversed and angled for better leverage while digging. Great for some of us with bad hands and It's made from heat treated Chromoly steel. The edges are serrated and the tip is perfectly designed and sharp. The handle has a bed liner type grip and 3/4 inch tubing. The blade is 2 1/4 inches wide and 6 inches long. The overall length is about 12 1/2 inches at its longest measurement. This guy has figured out what diggers are supposed to be. I added a custom paint job and paracord /carabiner clip, The paint job  is holding up better than I thought and In my opinion this is one of the best diggers I have ever used.  Well where do you get one????? Lucky for you members here, It's made Here in the USA by one of our great members Kac. He makes them on a limited basis and Quantity so be aware that there are only so many to be had at a given time. Kac will give you all the details on pricing and shipping if you PM him. 

• By 1515Art
      I ordered a battery operated sweeper attachment for my EGO power head this is a rotary bristle brush one of a number of different attachments available for this device, the supplier instead sent me the rubber brush instead with paddle like bristles intended to sweep soil, gravel and rocks. Although not the one I wanted, I figured it might be useful out in the gold fields so threw it into the Jeep for a quick run. This line of garden equipment is really powerful but sweeping gravel off the lawn is one thing moving dirt looking for gold much more demanding so while a fun experiment I didn’t expect the results I’d get out at gold basin to be promising or practical. To my surprise this little sweeper managed to perform much better than I expected. In a wash it easily moved 5” or so of dirt from a small area in just 5 or 10 minutes, in the other picture I used it to knock down a small tailings pile from a dozer push, although a little challenging to control because it wants to dig straight down if it had a bicycle wheel attached behind the spinning broom you could easily sweep 1” inch layers off in 21” wide strips and go down in larger areas more evenly. The brush attachment runs $250 and the power head $150 bare bones without battery or charger, it managed to survive the day without breaking and might have use patch cleaning but I’m really unsure about it holding up out there with regular use? 

• By Old Farm Hunter
      I just bought this magnet off of brute magnetic's  For magnet fishing and I hope I find some neat finds i will keep you guys informed on how it goes and if i find anything! https://brutemagnetics.com/collections/top-mount/products/brute-box-500-lb-magnet-fishing-bundle-2-95-magnet-rope-carabiner-threadlocker
    • By Joe R.
      I'm completely new to this sport. Boy that Simplex + was sure tempting.  Question,  looking to buy a Grave Digger shovel what size should I get 27 or 36 inches. Size don't matter right? Hehe They're sure pretty.
      Thanks in advance for your input. 
      Joe from Chicago.
    • By cool riverr
      when moving lots of material, or breaking down an old drywasher tailing.  I like to break the crust and knock them down by six inches or more.  Smooth it out, let it dry for a few minutes, and your coil just glides.  I added magnets sheathed in stainless steel to help clean up the trash.