GPZ 7000: Threshold Vs Sensitivity Vs Volume Vs Volume Limit (with Discussion On Audio Smoothing, Coil Control, Range Of Motion And Manual Ground Balance)

31 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

I am not saying that it modulates it just sets the maximum loudness limit of the volume control (well maybe I am calling it modulation).  If it truly did clip it and you set the limit to 1 then crank the volume up to 20 everything would sound the same from high signals to low signals and probably all of the noise.  But if you set the limit at 1 and crank up the volume to 20 you actually do get variations in the loudness still.  I could be wrong but other pieces of electronics out there that has Volume Limit describes it in this matter, Minelab could be doing there own thing but that's confusing.   IDK I can't test this yet, maybe we will get someone to try this in a video.

Im guessing that the clippers have a setting above the volume floor, it may start at say 5 who knows¿ the Ml tech that desighned the function obviously had the forsight to know that some one would run it at zero and wonder why the detector is not working lol. I can assure you that it dose not compress the sound in any way like you are thinking it might.

You are way over thinking this mate... just get out there and put some field time on your machine!

You probably need to do at least a full season detecting before you can write a manual, otherwise it is just ideas put together by some one who dose not have any field experince. 

I can guarantee you that JP, Jasong, Nenad, others and myself have gained our knowledge from our time in the field and willing ness to experiment! For example I detectct all day, clocking around 8 to 12 hours a day for 8 months of the year since 2 months before the official release of the detector. That is quite a lot of field time if you add it up😉 I wear through 4 pairs of military boots per year doing so.

Please do not take this the wrong way mate, I like your enthusiasm... its a rare thing these days lol, but I just want you to understand how we earnd our knowledge. And if you want to aquire it for yourself there really is no subsitute. You just have to get out there and earn it for yourself! 

• Like 4

A tip for you mate.

You really need to experiment with different swing speeds and heights and be very controlled with it.

Perfecting your swing and undersanding its effect on targets and ground noise really is probably the most importaint part of becoming one with your detector.

Detetctors are like nice ladys... you need to learn how she likes to be swung, her curves and how to press her buttons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gold Hound said:

Perfecting your swing and undersanding its effect on targets and ground noise really is probably the most importaint part of becoming one with your detector.

A+ tip. One of the most overlooked but ultra-important aspects of detecting
especially with the GPZ

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gold Hound said:

You probably need to do at least a full season detecting before you can write a manual, otherwise it is just ideas put together by some one who dose not have any field experince. 

Just so you know my background.  I have been a field geologist for 20 years I have been prospecting for 18 years and detecting since the SDC came out.  I work full time so detecting/prospecting is a hobby.  I have used the GPZ for 3 seasons.  I have not used it to its full potential.  I am not writing a manual.  I have  been researching everything i can about this detector over the last 2 months, mainly from this forum and the other sources stated above.  I compiled a lot of information, I was willing to share it in an organized format but probably won’t now.  People can do their own.

I appreciate your comments on the controls and telling me how to detect but what I am seeking is technical specifics.  I want to know exactly what this is doing.  Others on this forum who have done the time same as you do give different opinions than how you have described it.  So you can understand my skepticism to only believe one person.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 1:27 AM, afreakofnature said:

Yes, I have read the manual.  Over and over. Plus I have also done what Northeast has done and basically inserted a lot of DP, Knowledge Base and TreasureTalk articles based on a couple months of research.  I have used the Z for about 3 years now too.  I plan on posting this "revised" manual in the future for everyone to have.  I am hoping it will be kind of like a wiki that others would want to add to so all the content is in one PDF.  But before I do that I want to have a good "grasp" on how to adjust these controls for ZVT perfection (based on the ground you are in).

Hopefully some videos will roll in. Fingers crossed.

Sorry mate I didnt mean to offend or belittle you in anyway if it came across that way. Im mearly trying to stress the importance of the other things I was talking about, my dry aussie sense of humor dosent help either, went back and read my posts and can see how you could take offence from them sorry mate. I forget about the differences in aussie and yank comunication etiquette.

I thought from your post quoted above that you were compiling a revised more detailed form of manual. In my opinion injecting more detail and opinions into a manual just creates more confusion from any beginner who reads it. And after seeing your diagrams, that showed me you dont have a correct understanding of how the controls work. This prompted my post.

And videos are a lot of work to produce, so i wouldnt hold my breath waiting for them. I have over 1000 hours of recorded video of me  prospecting/ finding gold that will never see the light of day, as it is just to much work compiling and editing for no return for me to bother with. Hopfully others have more time and can produce one for you?

Or maybe you could produce them yourself?

• Like 1

I can speak to video production as well. I worked for 35 years on feature films and shot a number of documentaries on my own. That is I shot, edited, did the sound effects, wrote the narration and recorded it, did all the color correction, found and edited the music, and so on. I don't think it will come as a surprise that this is an incredibly time consuming pastime and requires a whole large learning curve of it's own - just ask JP who I am pretty sure had to learn all that to produce the amazingly high level of DVD's that he did. Each of his DVD's got better as his learning curve increased…and he had to compile the information as well. No casual undertaking.

Anyone who has seen the DVD's that JP has put out, or the docu-journals that Gold Hound has shot and edited, probably cannot imagine just how much time that took away from detecting, and for them, that means making a living. Both of them made what they did look as though it was easy. It's not.

I appreciate what afresakofnature is wanting to do and will only say that, as difficult as learning how to operate the 7000 is, just putting those concepts into a video and doing it clearly with proper examples, good production looks and quality sound and then putting it up for people to learn from, is not only a possibly huge project but it is also a huge responsibility.

All this is not to try to diminish in any way what is being discussed above, but rather, I am adding some details that I know about hoping to possibly help define, expand and round out the discussion.

A long P.S.: After reading so many discussions on these forums one sees that there is a wide range of approaches that people use when they are running their (in this case) GPZ’s. And while its true some methods may be more efficient and use the machines capabilities closer to its optimum, you really have to try hard to mess the 7000 up enough so it won’t go off on a nugget. My opinion only here, but personal preferences have to be learned by using the detector both in the the area where you are working and in the conditions that are present at the time.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, flakmagnet said:

My opinion only here, but personal preferences have to be learned by using the detector both in the the area where you are working and in the conditions that are present at the time.

So very true for me this sentence, and I suspect for the majority of us. I add one more element and that is field experience over many years, once I considered I was close to having it down pat now I know I had blinkers on and will never get close, and to really put a spanner in the cog ML will come out with a new detector that blows all away, as they have for 30 plus years. Bring on the 8000😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

What are your thoughts on Volume and Volume Limit?  Do you a think I have their description correct?  Later today I am going to post up a visual to explain myself better.

P.S.  How is that requested "wireless" SP01 for the GPZ coming along? 🙂

First of all, the sP01 for the GPZ is already wireless, you just plug it into the WM12 😉 

Volume Limit is very simple, it's as others have stated already, just clips the loud part of the signal. The lower the Volume Limit setting, the earlier the clipping takes place. Faint signals are not affected until you start to get as low and 4 or 3, but it's been a while since I've gone that low. I would actually love if it functioned like a compressor/limiter as used in music production studios! 

Volume is a confusing one, as I have always believed it is just a carry over of the Target Volume control from the GPX's. Where as you turn it up, target signals (and any false signals being generated) are amplified. Threshold is also affected, but to a much lesser degree. Funnily enough though, the description in the GPZ manual seems to mirror the Volume Gain setting on the CTX3030. Straight from the GPZ manual: 

With a setting of 1, weak target signals will sound quiet, medium target signals will sound mid-range and strong target signals will sound loud. There will be greater differentiation between target signal strengths; however, weak signals will be harder to hear.
With a setting of 20, all target signals will be amplified to a loud audio response. At this setting there may be less differentiation between medium and strong signals, but weak target signals will be easier to hear.

Regardless of any of this, I find that Volume any lower than 8, and signals can easily be missed. Once you get it above 11, the machine becomes a little touchy, although other settings also come into play. My Volume is usually on 10, but can vary 9-11 depending on conditions. I find that is the sweet range. I am running headphones and sP01 95% of the time. 

• Like 2

What a good and productive discussion this has been. Thanks afreakofnature for having started this thread. There are clearly differences in opinions, but I note how much better our discussions have become, void of any personal attacks or nasty comments like we had back in the "X-coil days".  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

This then gets back to Range of Motion, a signal, depending on which direction you approach it, has a ‘lead in’ and a ‘tail out’. ‘Lead In’ is when your audio comes from a background ground signal behaviour that is averaged by the Semi-Auto GB just as the Threshold pitch starts to alter as the Rx of the coil starts to react to the field of a buried target, you then move the coil through the ‘Lead In’ section and pass over the loudest possible point of the target (dead centre or Ground Zero) this is where the target is at it loudest point assuming you have the coil over dead centre which is a whole different process of feeling around with the sweep direction and speed to find the true dead centre (Ground Zero).

JP,

Is this your definition of 'fringe' detecting? 

Hearing at first a faint target and then interrogating it to Ground Zero.  If your target is very deep/small then Ground Zero is proportionately small.  Some like me might think it an iffy target but an experienced detectorist would say it is a clear target in that situation.

Big targets are forgiving and can be heard with many settings unless they are too deep.  It is the little target sounds that require concentration and optimal settings for each of our styles.  Maybe these are the fringes the 6000 will excel at without doubting an array of other settings.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to GPZ 7000: Threshold Vs Sensitivity Vs Volume Vs Volume Limit (with Discussion On Audio Smoothing, Coil Control, Range Of Motion And Manual Ground Balance)