Farmhouse Site Grid Search - Silver

Super nice Trime!!! At this point I might trade my gold coin for one. These damn things are really hard to come by. I have to live through your Trime find, still hoping I might be part of the club one day. Great day out, looking forward to more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the reason many Equinox users don't find Trimes is the VDI they give. This occurred to me today while I was working the site, the Trime was a 16/17, much like a half Real, which is 17/18. Guess what other object falls into 16-18?

Pop tops. 😵 I imagine anyone with any detector would blow the ID off after digging so many. For some reason I dug about 10 of them today. 🤔 😀

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, dogodog said:

Super nice Trime!!! At this point I might trade my gold coin for one. These damn things are really hard to come by. I have to live through your Trime find, still hoping I might be part of the club one day. Great day out, looking forward to more.

I'll take it! 😀 Seriously though, even tho it's a "type 2" it's only worth about $40 Max. 

Now, an 1867... That would be a different story!

• Like 2

Nice trime!  (Condition is pretty strong.)

None of the USA 2-Cent and 3-Cent (both types) coins were very popular.  In all 3 cases the mint struck a lot the first handful of years (if even that) and then the populations tailed off pretty drastically.  That's two of the reasons they are difficult to find:  not many minted and only in a fairly tight window of years.  On top of that, the silver 3 cent ('trime') is so damn tiny!  (And then there's the overlap with pulltabs for the trime TID that F350 mentions, although sites with both trimes and pulltabs -- manufactured a century apart -- are those common even on the East Coast?)

In response to Tim's question, no, I've never found a 3 cent piece of either kind, nor a half dime for that matter.  The only two coins I've found that predate late 1880's are an 1864 2-Cent piece and an 1867 w/Rays shield nickel.  With a couple exceptions, my sites weren't frequented until early 20th Century so finding Seated coins, large cents, half cents, etc. requires the right permission.  Obviously they do exist here in the Midwest; Valen's Legacy can attest to that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

(And then there's the overlap with pulltabs for the trime TID that F350 mentions, although sites with both trimes and pulltabs -- manufactured a century apart -- are those common even on the East Coast?)

One thing for sure, farmers consume quite a lot of beverages on the job. I understand the beavertails, it's an unfortunate reality,  but not the tabs that are supposed to stay on the can! Dug quite a few of those today. 😵

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kac said:

most of us are still out of the gold coin club

That is the truth, but I am new to all this.

Don't get me wrong, I love everything that I have found so far in such a short amount of time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dogodog said:

At this point I might trade my gold coin for one.

Maybe we can talk about this, I think I would like the gold over the silver any time.

Let me know, I have it in an envelope and ready to go, just need the address.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

even tho it's a "type 2" it's only worth about $40 Max.

Some of my favorite finds are not necessarily the most valuable finds.  🙂

• Like 2