Pi ( TDI ) Coin Detecting Advice Request

I've been experiencing lower yields due to sites being detected, by me for sure and there are also signs by others previously.  SchoolofHardNox's success on a beach using the Minelab GPX 5000 reminded me to re-read Steve's treatise on using the (in his case original big box Pulsescan) TDI for coin detecting.

I just a few days ago stumbled upon a promising site where extra depth could be key.  It's a schoolyard going back at least to 1955.  Unfortunately as is the case in many of my public sites, it has a history of backfilling.  From aerial photos I see than in the 50's it was grass/sod covered but in the early 60's they put down gravel.  The person who told me about the site (a person who walked up to talk when he saw me hunting a nearby park) said he was a student there 45-50 years ago and at that time it was (again) grass/sod.  I did a one hour survey hunt with the Minelab Equinox (11" coil) and encountered a couple inch thick gravel layer about 5" down.  I did find one Wheatie below the gravel, but 7" is getting deep for my detector + soil mineralization combination so if coins remain from the 50's (pre- gravel layering) then I expect I will do better with extra depth (and that may even be required).

One thing I've found in my detecting of these older sites -- there are always nails present.  So even if my TDI/SPP can deliver in the coin category it's going to be signalling on a lot of nails.  One of the tricks Steve used was to set the conductivity switch to high conductors (low tones) but the TDI/SPP doesn't have that feature -- I will be hearing both high and low tones.  This is a dual disadvantage -- extra tones to have to mentally tune out but also extra threshold noise since both parts of the signal spectrum will be contributing to that as compared to only half when the conductivity-low switch selection is made (on all TDI's except the SPP version).

Here are some specific concerns:

1) Am I fooling myself thinking I can get extra depth with the TDI/SPP, particularly when it comes at the expense of a noisier threshold?

2) Which coil(s) should I be using (choices I'm considering are 6"x8" Nugget Finder Sadie mono, 7"x14" NF mono, and 12" round White's 'Aussie' mono)?

3) Should I flag the promising targets but double check with the Eqx 800 (and if so, should I use the 11" or 12"x15" coil on the 800)?  (Note, even if I choose this route I will likely at first dig, regardless of what the 800 says, just to get an idea of what is giving the signal and how deep the targets are.)

Any other advice (from anyone) is appreciated.

• Like 2

From what I have read here and what others said you can ground balance on the iron so that tone is different than targets above that range. I don't know if that will be 100% is separating iron from non iron. Next thing you can do is use the pulse delay to trim out smaller targets.

Having only the Seahunter, depth gain is only greater where there is more mineralization when compared to an IB machine. In other words in mild ground you may see little or no difference when compared to your Nox.

Big draw back for my SeaHunter with the 10x14 coil comes when there are lots of targets that are within the coil size so separating out targets is nearly impossible. Low target density is not an issue.

Still templted to buy my buddies TDI Pro but would consider an eliptical coil with smaller footprint then it goes back to the question, how much depth will I actually gain?

Bottom line if your ground is nasty in the high 80's-90's then the pi should do better.

Sorry for the long non answer hehe.

• Like 3

I'm not sure if this is the same reaction other PI's get, but on my GPX, coins hit louder and narrower than big nails do. Nails, for me, sound longer, and coins hit faster if that makes sense.  Coins are a shorter signal but ramp up and ramp down quicker.  Also coins sound the same no matter what direction I swing from. Nails can sound different from some angles. This for me has been true to about 9". After that coins are a smooth quieter sound while iron is a bit ragged and unsure and sharp. I can always get a nice sweet, quiet, even response on deep coins. Deep iron sounds unsure and iffy. Kind of like when you want to make a bad signal into a good signal. That works up to about 15" After that all bets are off. After 15" it may sound like ground noise, slight EMI, or kind of a wavy, distant ghost sounding signal. After 20" I just hear threshold 😄

• Like 7

GB :  I know there are some coin/relic guys who will try to use those balls-to-the-walls pulse machines , for coins/relics.  Since, sure, you can "get a coin to 1.5 ft. deep", blah blah.  I saw a few of them guys at the Virginia relic shootout a few years ago.  And asked them "Don't nails give you fits ?"   They only gave rambling feeble replies.

Lo & behold, at a few cellar-home antebellum home sites (which were a THICK carpet of nails), those guys were nowhere to be found.   They steered FAR from any such area.  Meanwhile, guys with standard machines (discriminators) were able to go fish some coins and relics from the mess.

So I can't see the sense.   Unless you're nugget hunting, or hunting the beach (where you're not likely to have ghost-townsy-conditions ), or some such exception.  

And as far as what kac says:  Yes there's some "tricks" you can use to ID nails of some of those type machines.  But guess what ?  The moment you off-tune and start using those tricks, you can now kiss that fabled depth goodbye.  You are left with no-more depth than a standard coin machine. So why bother ?   Any iron-ID trick on those will only work for the top 6 or 8" or whatever (at best) .  Everything beyond that starts to sound the same.  

• Like 8

5 hours ago, kac said:

Next thing you can do is use the pulse delay to trim out smaller targets.

That's the other thing the TDI/SPP doesn't have that the TDI/SL does -- adjustable delay.  On the SPP it's fixed at 10 microseconds (nominally -- the minimum value that the SL will operate at).  Steve's recommendation in the treatise I linked says minimum delay worked best for him, so I'm counting on 10 us not being a problem....

5 hours ago, kac said:

Bottom line if your ground is nasty in the high 80's-90's then the pi should do better.

My ground is moderate in mineralization (2-3 bars on the Fisher F75 and Gold Bug).  So there is some loss of depth with an IB/VLF (and/or loss of accurate TID with depth) but nothing like happens at some locations.

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

That works up to about 15" After that all bets are off.

The TDI/SPP doesn't draw as much current as the GPX so I won't be able to get as deep as a GPX, but if I could get to 12 inches for a dime I expect it will do really well in a couple of my sites, including this one.  Heck, even 10" if broad enough over the coil footprint would be better than I've done with the Eqx & 11" coil.  Maybe I should try the Eqx with 12"x15" coil first and see if it finds anything deeper.  I expect to have lots of time this year to detect this site and it's not huge (maybe 60 m X 80 m).

18 minutes ago, Tom_in_CA said:

(I) asked them "Don't nails give you fits ?"   They only gave rambling feeble replies.

Well, that is likely a limiting factor.  I don't recall too many iron hits on my first pass over this site.  But maybe my brain was just tuning them out, and I was using earbuds which make it harder to hear the faint iron compared to using the over-ear headphones (Sunray Pro Golds in my case).

Thanks to all three of you for your replies.  I think I'll just have to try it out and see what I find.  It will probably be obvious pretty quickly if this has a chance of producing the deep targets I'm hoping for.  Either way another lesson will be learned.

• Like 2

If you only have a 2-3 bars on your ground phase then depth is probably similar to your nox. Why not snag a nice old fashioned analog machine for those sites? Tejon will give a flat tone and most often a little pop on aluminum so it makes going through moderate and low trash areas a breeze. I say that because the machine is just not chattery as my vid machines. I can crank the sensitivity to nearly max and have clean signals. In rare cases where there is high trash areas the modern machines can squeak out a signal with the faster recovery speeds. The Vista X is supposed to be close to the tejon with the benefit of iron audio. Sometimes its just nice to think less.

As for headphones with an analog machine you really need good ones. Garrett MS-2's or Gray Ghosts etc. Earbuds you won't hear the nuances.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I'm not sure if this is the same reaction other PI's get, but on my GPX, coins hit louder and narrower than big nails do. Nails, for me, sound longer, and coins hit faster if that makes sense.  Coins are a shorter signal but ramp up and ramp down quicker.  Also coins sound the same no matter what direction I swing from. Nails can sound different from some angles. This for me has been true to about 9". After that coins are a smooth quieter sound while iron is a bit ragged and unsure and sharp. I can always get a nice sweet, quiet, even response on deep coins. Deep iron sounds unsure and iffy. Kind of like when you want to make a bad signal into a good signal. That works up to about 15" After that all bets are off. After 15" it may sound like ground noise, slight EMI, or kind of a wavy, distant ghost sounding signal. After 20" I just hear threshold 😄

The SeaHunter you can sort of tell iron from non iron as the signal is a bit louder and slightly different but if I use the regular waterproof headphones I can't tell. Other problem is it has a mono coil so multiple targets are really tough to pick through. I use it on the regular beaches along the water line or in local swim holes that don't have a lot of trash. Areas I want to use it is in the old river here to bust through the bog iron but we have power lines on either side that drive it crazy. One the reasons I wanted the TDI was for the river banks but think EMI will be a problem for that as well.

• Like 1

Quote "From aerial photos I see than in the 50's it was grass/sod covered but in the early 60's they put down gravel.  The person who told me about the site (a person who walked up to talk when he saw me hunting a nearby park) said he was a student there 45-50 years ago and at that time it was (again) grass/sod.  I did a one hour survey hunt with the Minelab Equinox (11" coil) and encountered a couple inch thick gravel layer about 5" down.  I did find one Wheatie below the gravel, but 7" is getting deep for my detector + soil mineralization combination"

I think the best option for depth and mineralization is to go for a larger coil size, but for me the gravel would be my concern as far as digging goes. As stated by others VLF is a better choice with a lower frequency design or option. They go deep and can discriminate saving a lot of holes that need to be dug. As the land is rezoned leaving no trace is less required.

• Like 3

Hey GBA, 

As I've posted about, I have a similar site that I am hunting.  Old ground (early 1900's), lower yields due to massive detection over the years, over fill (old coins recovered at Depth with a capital D - 10 -11").  I have attempted the PI run a few times, but discovered I need to work more at clearing the upper layer of trash before attempting it again. 

No question in my mind that the PI will go deeper than my coin machines, but it does find every small bit and bob in the soil... so be ready to dig.  There was an incredible post by Tom D. on his site years back, talking about clearing a turf site with a pi machine, and his finds... it was fascinating and worth a read if you haven't already.  I am about ready to take another run at my site with the ATX after spending some time with other machines clearing trash.  

When I fire up the ATX on the turf, I'm not thinking about conventional discrimination - even though the ATX does have the ferrous/non-ferrous tones (it is only accurate to a certain depth, which is actually above the layer I'm trying to punch down into) , so really what I try to do is set the sensitivity where the 12" target will give me a faint signal... and I use that to "manually discriminate" the digs.  I don't mind digging iron... when I'm in the mood for digging iron... so I need to be in the mood for the ATX on the turf.  I may be in the mood again soon.  I'll post my finds.

I don't know the TDI too well, but speaking strictly PI, I think there is a place for it if you are up to a long day with maybe a good find or two.  I am interested to hear how you do at your old site (both with the large coil on the EQX and with the TDI if you decide to give it a go).    

• Like 5

I too think the gravel layers are going to cause havoc for the VLF/ Multi's. Kind of like disturbed ground did on my E trac and CTX.  I would pick a small area and go over it with the large EQ coil, then go over it with the Tdi and see how many targets it can hear (without digging them all). That will tell you everything you need to know about conditions. Cherry pick certain signals and see how it goes.

• Like 3

• Steve Herschbach changed the title to Pi ( TDI ) Coin Detecting Advice Request

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Againstmywill
      It's been a while, but I was excited to share a couple silver dime finds from a while back. I found one of the Mercury dimes using the 10x5 Coiltek coil in a VERY iron littered park that has been stripped clean for decades. The other dime was found on a local baseball field in a small section of the outfield. The war nickel is fairly trashed. 2021 is the first year I found Mercury dimes. I do like the artistic nature of the coins.
      Equinox, Park 1, 4 recovery, all metal

• By Dan(NM)
      I closed out my 5 1/2 days of hunting in Texas Panhandle today and I ended up with a few more keepers. What a productive trip it was. Since I will not be coming back to this area again for some time, my intent was to hunt for wheats and silver only. I did not want to spend most of my time digging trash chasing nickles and low conductors. I hunted 3 different parks and 1 school.
        I'm not sure how many hours I hunted, maybe 50 or so, but, I hunted until I could not swing the coil anymore each day
       The first 2 pictures are of today's hunt followed by the total's for the week.  Thanks for stopping by and having a look.

• By GB_Amateur
      It seems one of my recurring detecting New Year's Resolutions has been to find new hunting grounds and not get stuck in a rut trying to find the last crumbs I'm capable of tasting in the sites I've detected extensively.  So far this year I've done well (at least one silver coin in each) at three 'new' sites (two parks and one school) and 3 weeks ago before heading out East I was able to get in a short 1 hour hunt at another park I've never previously visited.
      I vaguely knew about this spot previously but for various reasons I never tried it.  My first 'requirement' is that a new (to me) site have a decent chance of hiding old coins.  For the most part that means having had significant human activity prior to 1970 and preferably prior to 1960.  This 4th 'new' (to me) site of 2021 didn't seem to meet that minimal requirement.  In fact there is a prominent bronze plaque on site which states it didn't become a park until 1974 and previously was an industrial storage lot for several decades.  However, Historic Aerials hinted at a more promising past.  It seemed to show that some of the modern park's features were present at least back to 1965.  I'll go deeper into that later in this post.
      That first 1 hour hunt produced three Wheat pennies along with four copper (alloy) Memorial Cents and a couple clad dimes.  Three Wheaties in an hour on a site which supposedly wasn't frequented until 1974 was surprising but far from earth shaking.  I filed it away until after getting home from my week+ in the East.  After getting home I needed some time to decompress (i.e. take care of other things) and it was quite humid besides.  Further, this summer has been wetter than normal and the grass grows back as fast as it gets cut.  Finally this past Thursday (2 days ago as I write) I got in 3 hours on a freshly mown park.  I concentrated on areas that the Historic Aerials indicated would be most promising but still did some fairly broad surveying.  The results were a bit disappointing compared to the previous short run -- 1 Wheat cent vs. 4 copper Memorials along with a few modern 5, 10, 25 cent coins.  Here's a photo of only the coin finds (oh, plus a Sterling ring my wife has already claimed):

The next day I returned for another 3 hours, this time hunting exclusively on what I considered the most promising part of this site.  Now the floodgates started to open:  10 Wheaties compared to 5 copper Memorials along with $1.85 in larger denomination modern coins:

The dates on the 10 Wheaties are: 1909, 1918, 1920, 192x-D (haven't yet resolved that last digit), four from the 40's and two from the 50's.  Non-cent finds don't seem to show any particular date pattern although only 2 or 3 are from the current millenium.  Now for the non-coin finds from these last 2 days (total of 6 hours):

Pretty much the typical park trash.  There is one arcade token from 80's or later (right below five Stinkin' Zincolns).  The ladies watch appears to be nothing special (no precious metal or stones).  Possibly most interesting is above the drink can lid -- it's a copper piece that looks like it has a coin slot in it.  The padlock is badly corroded and the shank has been cut with a hacksaw.  It may be from this site's industrial days.  Oh, one last interesting find.  To the right of the Hot Wheels car is a wooden piece I recognize as being from a Lincoln Logs wooden playset (not metallic)!
      So what explains the plethora of Wheat Cents?  Here are some hypotheses:
      1) The bronze plaque is wrong and the property was turned into a park well before 1974.  This seems a bit odd -- I mean the park department historian can't get a date right and spends hundred+ dollars on a sign with erroneous information?
      2) The industrial site's employees spent some of their lunch-hours in the same shady(?) sloped spot, either accidentally dropping coins or even possibly playing some kind of penny-ante game tossing them and missing picking up some?
      3) Nature's randomness is conspiring to try and trick me into thinking this site's Wheats/Memorials ratio is indicative of something other than just luck.
      The plausibility of this last hypothesis can be tested with statistics.  I'll start with my on-going 5 year record of fraction of copper Lincolns that are Wheats.  That's 338/1547 = 21.58%.  Most of these have come from parks and schools, all of those sites having been established no earlier than 1974 while most of the remaining sites were private permission homesites that were established no later than 1960.  Thus using this value as 'typical' for sites frequented for at least 47 years is a stricter requirement than necessary.  Still, using 21.58% ratio of Wheats to total coppers, the chance that of the first 27 copper alloy Lincolns found, 14 or more would be Wheats is less than one in 7100.
      Of course Wheats tend to be an indicator that even better (yes, silver coins) treasures are hidden and awaiting a coil to be swung over them.  Hopefully I can add some more evidence by digging one (or more) of those on my next trip to this spot.
    • By schoolofhardNox
      So, my beach season hunting has officially started. I was going to shoot for two days hunting but a wash out on Thursday made me change some plans. I had reserved Thursday for the GPX 6000 and the 14” DD coil, but had to settle for trying the 6000, 5000 and Equinox on Friday. I changed beach locations too and ended up at the less EMI beach for the day. Started out using the GPX 5000 for clearing out some of the recently deposited junk in an area that has produced silver before. I thought the storms that ripped through the previous day would remove some sand, but it was just the opposite…. sand deposited along 3/4 of the beach (top to bottom). Also, high tide reach to the highest point of the beach, so I could only hunt where the waves did not constantly reach up top. The 5000 did well considering the beach was really sanded in and gave me my first silver of the season – a 1955 Washington quarter. The rest was clad, but for 2 copper pennies. Some junk jewelry, and maybe some iron shot or just a ball bearing, - it measured .75 caliber. The big spoon was found at 20” and I thought I was going to get a beer can or some big iron, so that was a nice surprise. Hunted with the 5000 for 6 hours and decided I cleared enough to try the 6000 in that spot. The EMI was a bit more than usual but not really bad. I’m still not sold on that 14” coil. I tried both ground settings, as well as both Salt mode and EMI mode. I tried auto, auto +, manual (full) and manual (setting 1) and some in between. I just could not get the 6000  to not false on the sand. It was partially damp, as high tide receded a while ago, but with a sensitivity of 1, I would have expected a smooth clean machine. IDK maybe the coil is not good. I did not bring the 11” mono as I really wanted to see if the salt mode would work on the 14” DD. Being a bit disappointed, and after trying all combinations of settings, I called it after around 10 minutes. So, the tide was getting as low as it was going to be, so I hunted for 3 hours with the Equinox and traded my spade for my scoop. I didn’t use the Nox much last season as the 5000 was killing the silver, so the Nox sat idle. But I wanted to see if the heavy waves dropped anything on the beach along with all that sand. There weren’t many targets, so I dug everything to get a feel for all the numbers. The hairpins and tiny wire all read a steady -2, -3. The Nox did well for the short time I used it and if I wasn’t beat from the hunt, I would have stayed in the area that was producing some coins. It was the best machine for the day to give me a chance at some gold. It felt really, really good to get out and just walk the beach. Next week all 3 machines will be at the crazy EMI beach. I will have the mono coin and the DD to see if this beach (dry sand) will be ok for the 14” coil. Can’t wait!!!

• By Bohemia Miner
      I just watched this Whites Video with Josh Bohmker.  He found a way to take a couple of D-rings similar to those on the old Goldmasters and chest mounted the SL.
      Very cool!

• By Steve Herschbach
      It should be getting obvious the GPX 6000 is a great nugget detector. I think it also has great possibilities for beach detecting for jewelry.
      If somebody was to ask me about relic detecting, I’d tell them the same thing I say about the GPZ 7000 - way too sensitive to tiny ferrous. There is such a thing as too sensitive, and the fact that the GPX 5000 can be set up to miss the tiniest ferrous is actually an advantage. The 6000 will bang hard on the tiniest slivers of ferrous stuff, like almost invisible bits of hair thin wire.
      However, it might be something those who already have the machine might want to play with, and I have already been learning a few discrimination tricks while beach detecting. Anyone familiar with the Minelab PI detectors knows you get two main tone responses, either a high tone, or a low tone. The simple way to think of what these tones mean is high tone = small or weaker / low conductive targets, and low tone = large or stronger / high conductive targets. The dividing line between the two is not fixed, but varies with the ground balance setting. This means people in lower mineral ground will not get the same results as those in high mineral ground. It’s a complex subject, one I go into great detail at here.
      The GPX 6000 has one bit of magic for this task. The Normal/Difficult ground setting button. It allows a change in the tone response by simply pressing a button. I do not know the details of Normal vs Difficult, but it changes the timings enough to flip the tone response on many targets. I found I could use it to get four different target classes.
      Hi tone normal, high tone difficult = Aluminum foil, misc aluminum, wire, most bottle caps, misc small ferrous - low VDI targets. Small gold. Hi tone normal, low tone difficult = Nickel range targets, larger aluminum. Larger gold. Low tone normal, low tone difficult = Zinc penny range targets. Even larger gold. Low tone normal, high tone difficult = Quarters, dimes, copper penny, high VDI targets, nails (larger ferrous). Silver rings. The results closely mimic my coin detecting results with other ground balancing PI detectors, but with a big difference. With all the other machines I had two classes of targets. High tone small stuff, low conductors, and low tone large stuff, high conductors. This new method delivers four target classes, potentially a big step up in discrimination capability with a PI. Ferrous can show up in any of the ranges, just depends on size and type.
      By digging the fourth category, it’s basically just high conductive coins, and nails. No zinc pennies or aluminum screw caps. Not good if you have lots of nails, but I will be doing this in a park soon, as many parks are not loaded with nails. Others might be, so it’s site specific.
      The other big caveat I already mentioned. This assumes bad ground, with a ground balance setting to match. The GPX 6000 is automatic and sets its own ground balance. You have no way to set and lock it, unlike a TDI. So I have no idea where the tone shifts will occur in other ground. The good news is that you really don’t need a PI as much in low mineral ground. This might allow people to get more depth on silver coins in really bad ground. The DD coil also skews results, depending on which mode it is in, salt or cancel.
      In other words folks, I’m looking for people who are willing to experiment, and document. I will be doing more of this and adding new information here as I go. Any adventurous souls, please do the same. There is a definite crude discrimination system included with the GPX 6000, by way of an easy button push. Let’s figure it out, and it may open up some new detecting possibilities. 
      I blew it on my first go at this, as I dropped finds into different pockets of my pouch, to separate them by category for a photo, along with the trash. Then I got home and by habit just dumped it all in my sieve to sort the sand and trash out - oops. So will do better at that next time. Bottom line is I got real good at calling out the coins before digging. There are some real possibilities here for the adventurous types - PI naysayers need not apply!