Its your rock.  I only take the energy to bust them up if there's something to make me think I need to know what is inside or to help identify it.  If it looks cool it sits on a shelf, if not its leaverite.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2021 at 11:50 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

That goes for most of the rocks that show up in the Rock ID category on this forum. Why is hitting a nice looking rock with a hammer the first impulse?????

Because as a life-long prospector, first thing I want is a look at a fresh surface. Probably a difference between prospecting and rock collecting. I don't care about the rocks per se, but what they tell me. Any rock not worth breaking is rarely worth anything to me, though I do have a few doorstop rocks, or rocks I keep just because they are pretty. 

• Like 2

As a life-long mineral/crystal collector, hitting a nice specimen with a hammer (unless I am cropping it a bit) is the last thing I think of. As a prospector looking for gold bearing ore, definitely need a quality hammer, for crushing fine gold filled ore.........I want the biggest hammer I can find.

• Like 2