22 minutes ago, strick said:

The Nox loves them as does the Deus...with the Nox I am able to pass up some as they will have jumpy numbers but once in a while one will read a solid 13-14 so I'll dig those...It's amazing how many head stamps you can dig and never find a good target 🙂 

strick

On the 600 I push F2 to 3, which would be 6 on the 800. If they're more pure I'll still dig them but far less. Always get stung by the old ones. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Excellent results, and well chronicled, strick.  Those dimes look to be in good shape, except for that one gouge on the 1870....  I know you didn't do that.  (I've gotten yelled at for asking about the origin of damage before -- won't make that mistake again.  :biggrin:)

On 2/13/2022 at 11:28 PM, Cal_Cobra said:

Great day, BUT If they're both San Francisco mint marks, even better 🤠

I'll go a couple deeper -- make the 1870-S a half dime, quarter, or dollar.  You'll be able to retire early (and get some fame to go along with the fortune).  1870 was an odd year for silver coins minted in SF.  (That happens to be the first year the nearby Carson City -- CC -- mint was in operation, which likely explains this.)  I think only the half dollar had a high mintage; 50,000 dimes produced is pretty low (second lowest of any Liberty Seated dime from the SF mint), but pales in comparison to its three siblings.  No quarters are known and only one half dime.  Regarding the silver dollar, here's an excerpt from Bowers's A Guide Book of the United States Mint:

In 1870 a silver dollar of that year and mint was put in the conerstone of the second San Francisco Mint.  Subsequently there was a small production run that was not entered in the records.  Today only about 10 are known.

Gold coins were also produced that year in SF, and the $3 piece is also an extreme rarity (only one known).  While most gold denominations had considerably lower mintages (which is m/l typical) than even the dime of that year, the $20 Double Eagle was an exception with almost a million produced.  (Not that you'd mind finding one of those.)

• Like 5

19 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Excellent results, and well chronicled, strick.  Those dimes look to be in good shape, except for that one gouge on the 1870....  I know you didn't do that.  (I've gotten yelled at for asking about the origin of damage before -- won't make that mistake again.  :biggrin:)

I'll go a couple deeper -- make the 1870-S a half dime, quarter, or dollar.  You'll be able to retire early (and get some fame to go along with the fortune).  1870 was an odd year for silver coins minted in SF.  (That happens to be the first year the nearby Carson City -- CC -- mint was in operation, which likely explains this.)  I think only the half dollar had a high mintage; 50,000 dimes produced is pretty low (second lowest of any Liberty Seated dime from the SF mint), but pales in comparison to its three siblings.  No quarters are known and only one half dime.  Regarding the silver dollar, here's an excerpt from Bowers's A Guide Book of the United States Mint:

In 1870 a silver dollar of that year and mint was put in the conerstone of the second San Francisco Mint.  Subsequently there was a small production run that was not entered in the records.  Today only about 10 are known.

Gold coins were also produced that year in SF, and the $3 piece is also an extreme rarity (only one known).  While most gold denominations had considerably lower mintages (which is m/l typical) than even the dime of that year, the $20 Double Eagle was an exception with almost a million produced.  (Not that you'd mind finding one of those.)

GB I'm fairly sure that scratch is 152 years old as we both know I would never be so careless as to do something like that 🙂 As for the rest of your comments I'm thinking it's time to strap the 15" coil on the ole Nox and go for more long walks in big grassy fields. BTW this sport is not without it's hazards ..a big momma cow was giving me the evil eye the other day following me around...

strick

• Like 1

Nice earlier dates on the Seated. Not a ton of wear on them, so they were lost fairly new. Great finds....I love seated coins.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your seated double!  

• Like 1