Minelab Golden Oportunity

brys

to market a nox kit with the control box and a small coil that fits the dues stem as d2 s will be unavalble for some time ,will they go for it ?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, brys said:

to market a nox kit with the control box and a small coil that fits the dues stem as d2 s will be unavalble for some time ,will they go for it ?

You know brys, that’s a big thing to me. I love hunting with my equinox but the ergonomics of the handle actually cause my wrist to start hurting after a few hours of hunting. I can hunt with my deus with the 13” coil all day and it doesn’t bother my wrist. Granted I’m 65 so it may not be a big deal to you younger fellas but it is to me. lol

I’m getting a legend and the ergonomics is a big part of it. Hopefully it’ll perform as good as the equinox. The added features like the ferro check which reminds me of the horseshoe on my deus plus the amount of programs I can save.  I’m having to change my user profile on my equinox enough that it’s gonna be nice not to have to on the Legend. Just a few thoughts.
     HH!  Tom

1 hour ago, Tometusns said:

You know brys, that’s a big thing to me. I love hunting with my equinox but the ergonomics of the handle actually cause my wrist to start hurting after a few hours of hunting. I can hunt with my deus with the 13” coil all day and it doesn’t bother my wrist. Granted I’m 65 so it may not be a big deal to you younger fellas but it is to me. lol

I’m getting a legend and the ergonomics is a big part of it. Hopefully it’ll perform as good as the equinox. The added features like the ferro check which reminds me of the horseshoe on my deus plus the amount of programs I can save.  I’m having to change my user profile on my equinox enough that it’s gonna be nice not to have to on the Legend. Just a few thoughts.
     HH!  Tom

The legend's shaft configuration is almost identical to the Equinox and it's heavier, so I don't see the any ergonomic advantage there.

This seems like a more ergonomic solution to me. It's a Steve's Detector Rods S-Shaft. It's lighter than the legend or Nox shaft and it's a treat to swing with my 67 year old arm. 

S-Shaft-10x5.JPEG

• Like 9

9 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

The legend's shaft configuration is almost identical to the Equinox and it's heavier, so I don't see the any ergonomic advantage there.

This seems like a more ergonomic solution to me. It's a Steve's Detector Rods S-Shaft. It's lighter than the legend or Nox shaft and it's a treat to swing with my 67 year old arm. 

S-Shaft-10x5.JPEG

I cant really speak about that shaft as I dont have one but there appears to be 2 handles on that. One in front of the main nox handle....how much lighter is it then any of the after market carbon fiber shafts? 

strick

10 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

S-Shaft-10x5.JPEG

CPT_Ghostlight,

It’s the angle of the hand grip not the weight that bothers my wrist. The legend appears (I don’t have one yet) to be more like the deus hand grip which even with the large coil doesn’t bother my wrist. I’ll find out hopefully this week. 
 I love my equinox but I don’t like the hand grip and never have. Not comfortable…at least for me.🙂

HH!! Tom

• Like 3

Tom,

I would like to chime in here, with some thoughts.

SO many people talk about "handle angle" being a problem on certain machines.  This was a frequent discussion also, back when the Minelab Explorers and E-Trac were causing people issues, which many were blaming on "handle angle."

I would like to say that handle angle IN AND OF ITSELF is very likely not the SOLE issue, for many folks.  It's a COMBINATION of handle angle AND nose-heaviness/imbalance.  

Here's why I say that.  If you put your arm out in front of you, as if you are wanting to shake someone's hand, and hold your wrist LOOSELY (not under strain), and then move your wrist into different positions up and down, as if you were casting a fishing lure, for instance, there is a whole range of wrist positions that are not inherently painful, unless you have some sort of wrist injury or something.

The ISSUES arise when you have to hold a certain wrist position UNDER STRAIN, for a sustained period of time.  In ergonomic terms it's called "repetitive stress."  And that strain, of course, with respect to detecting, is your wrist having to do the work to lift the coil, and keep it floating for a sustained period of time.  That's the "repetitive" portion (sustained for a long period of time), while the "stress" is the WEIGHT of the coil that is having to be lifted...so -- repetitive stress.

Now, UNDER that stress, different folks might find different handle angles to be more or less comfortable; different muscles, ligaments, tendons, etc. are employed when your wrist is in different positions.  So, certain folks might find certain handle angles to be more comfortable for their wrist, GIVEN that their wrist is being placed under "stress."  BUT -- my POINT is, a LARGE contribution to the fatigue/pain that is felt, is due in large part to the COIL WEIGHT, and not JUST the handle angle.  Those TWO variables should be considered IN TANDEM, as it's the COMBINATION of the two that leads to the issues, in most cases.  Imagine taking your machine, removing the coil altogether, and then swinging the shaft back and forth.  Can you see where at that point, the amount of fatigue or pain would very likely be substantially reduced, if not eliminated entirely, DESPITE the "handle angle?"  

THAT is why balance is so important in a shaft.  That is NOT to say that if swinging an imbalanced, nose-heavy machine, that you may not find certain handle angles more tolerable than others.  In such cases, that just means that the muscle groups used to swing a nose-heavy unit with handle angle "A" might be more comfortable for you PERSONALLY, than the same machine with handle angle "B."  BUT -- my point is that if the machine were BALANCED, to where your wrist was under little to no strain while detecting, there would be a much WIDER range of "handle angles" that could be used, without causing any wrist issues.

I can tell you for sure, that I've had dozens of customers with wrist fatigue/pain, and after swinging the machine with proper counterweighting, that wrist pain disappears.  

SO -- the moral of my story is this...IF you have a machine that is imbalanced, but does NOT cause you pain (such as your Deus with 13" coil), then that's great.  Stick with it!  BUT -- if you have a machine that DOES cause you pain, and yet otherwise you really like the performance of the unit and everything else about it EXCEPT the so-called "handle angle," you may not have to give up on the unit.  Most "handle angle" issues are actually likely to be largely "balance" issues, and as such can be remedied much of the time by simply balancing the shaft, and thus taking all the strain/stress off of your wrist.  When the counterweight "lifts" the coil FOR you, as opposed to your wrist having to do so, much of these issues tend to "disappear."

Just wanted to toss that out there, for anyone interested...

Steve

• Like 6

Just a quick thought here, the 3D printed hand stops work very well for the Equinox. My Equinox weighs about 2.75 pounds with the 10x5, hand stop, a tether ring and 4 printed cable holders on Steve's camo carbon fiber shaft.

In its stock configuration it weighed more, and my hand would get tired after a few hours and hurt as well. I also got "trigger finger", where one of my fingers locks up. Since I lightened the setup with the lighter shaft and hand stop, and regularly use the 10x5 I have no problems at all. The battery lasts longer too as the 10x5 doesn't draw as much power.

• Like 5

I too have often cursed the angle of the handle of the nox.

after 4 hours it's so unpleasant that I have to look for other weird wrist postures, such as putting my fingers flat on the screen with the thumb underneath😂

Steveg, good post, you are probably right because when I use the harness with the nox, I no longer have this wrist problem
  • Like 2

On 3/6/2022 at 12:38 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

S-Shaft-10x5.JPEG

This was also the way to go for me on the Equinox. I don’t like the Simplex/Legend for the same reason and nothing you can really do about it. 

3338BE54-C415-4A30-B1F8-58A7653BC38E.jpeg

51A24499-48D1-4281-A383-9928DA8F7858.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/6/2022 at 10:04 PM, strick said:

I cant really speak about that shaft as I dont have one but there appears to be 2 handles on that. One in front of the main nox handle....how much lighter is it then any of the after market carbon fiber shafts? 

strick

Just one handle similar to an F75 setup. GhostLight can probably point you to the weights...  It really isn’t about the weight.  It is about arm/elbow position due to the offset in the shaft what helps me.  And you can also add weight via a counterbalance if you feel balancing is your issue. Steve has solutions for that as well. 

9423335C-8C4F-4206-9D20-EF871C6724F4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1