Ahhh, Relics! Surprise Of The Year (so Far)

Great hunt and a very nice save on the button.

Sorry it don't look like the one in the picture, but you might be able to do a little bit of cleaning to it.

I would be hanging that on a wall somewhere.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay safe.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the congrats. 🙂

Frankly I'm as excited by the Dandy button, it's way older than the Cavalry button. They were in use from the 1770s to the early 1800s. At 34mm (1-1/4 inches for those of you who abhor the metric system like I do) it's the largest one I've ever found.

One side of the house is where we found colonial items and a large cent, the back (used to be the front until they moved the road) was all 19th century. The right side of the house seems to be a mix of both. There are other areas that have or may have more colonial stuff. At some point I may try to find out what was along the part of the road that is now gone.

https://metaldetectingtips.com/what-is-a-dandy-button/

• Like 3

Very nice hunt. 2 good buttons!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Very nice hunt. 2 good buttons!

Thanks!

Part of the fun of finding stuff like this is sharing it, especially the odd things. To anyone new here I hope it provides inspiration, and shows that you don't have to have done this for a long time to find awesome stuff. You just have to do some research, be nice to people who own these lands, and get out there. The rest is luck.

• Like 2

Great historic finds, Plat!  I think you guys are on the right track with that whatzit.  This came to mind when I saw the pics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice job On the button Bob!!! It certainly was a great day to hunt the fields. The dandy buttons are really cool too, My buddy has quite the collection of super ornate ones. I have a few fields I hunt that are littered with can slaw, old roofing copper and junk, Just take your time and the good stuff will slowly emerge. Overall I think you had a really banner day. Good luck next run around!!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dogodog said:

Nice job On the button Bob!!! It certainly was a great day to hunt the fields. The dandy buttons are really cool too, My buddy has quite the collection of super ornate ones. I have a few fields I hunt that are littered with can slaw, old roofing copper and junk, Just take your time and the good stuff will slowly emerge. Overall I think you had a really banner day. Good luck next run around!!!!

Thanks!

Some of my other fields are opening up, looking forward to trying the Deus out there, and one with a lot of steel roofing bits that I think I will try the Vaquero and my Ace 400 on, both have concentric coils and can discriminate  most either by potentiometer or digital notch. There is another littered with nails that might be a good candidate as well.

I have a few Dandy buttons myself, going to look and see if this is the largest.

Edit: it's the largest. 😀

• Like 1

I'd run the D2 for a while and try and dial it in, then go back with the Vaquero and disc out the aluminium. Sometimes it's just a matter of playing with a machine to get the most out of it. If it was me I would put a old cut or forged nail next to a silver dime or even a old button and see what happens. If it just picks up the nail you have some adjustment to figure out. I'm thinking the D2 should be able to exploit the good target. Aluminum sometimes can fool you if it's a oddball 6061 or anodized, so you should be able to sort those numbers or tones out. My 800 will always pull to the iron so that's why I run my Tesoro for clean up (much better disc. IMO). Patience young Luke (Bob)!!!!  OR, Me and big Dodge can come for a visit. Ha Ha Ha. Well maybe not just, paid $6.00 for diesel today!!!!!!

• Like 2