Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

Equinox, Gold Monster, & Arizona Gold

Equinox 800 in the Desert, Gold Monster 1000, and Nuggets.... Part 1
Published on Jun 11, 2018 Nugget Shooter (Bill Southern)

Took the EQX 800 out to the goldfields for a run, impressed so far...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

He ain't seen nothing yet, it can find gold so small it's a mission to even recover it from the scoop, the amount of times I've lost it in the process and had to recover it again ūüôā¬†Straight down the middle of the coil is definitely the sweet spot, front or back doesn't matter, but very much the middle is where all the power is.

Stuff that you'd think you would only ever find with a sluice or pan.  I guess we are indeed very lucky here as I can normally run my sensitivity at 25 and be stable in our gold areas, even in an area with high voltage power lines not too far away.

• Like 4

Hi guys, While Bill's footage shows just how sensitive the EQ 800 is on pretty small gold with that 11" coil, & I thank him for the effort on doing the footage, but I just can't get excited on planted nugget testing as it is not the real world of natural in ground detected nuggets. If those were natural in ground undug gold nuggets I believe the Nox would get them even deeper than those air tests & buried in ground tests. It is a shame his girlfriend didn't call him over when she got a signal with the GM & before digging it & disturbing it let him sweep over it with the Nox. That would have been a far better realistic test. Cheers.

Good luck out there.

JW :smile: 

JW

Like you said if left in the ground would have been a true test of the Equinox on gold . The trouble is that little word if .

What I really want to see is that 6‚ÄĚ coil in action like Bill was talking about.

Being we live in a in perfect world how can I expect Bill’s video to be any different.

i’m Looking forward to his next video he makes.

Bill I thank you for your hard work and just seeing that pretty face is a pleasure to behold .

That’s the way it is Bill and that is some got it others got to go get it.

Chuck

• Like 1

I am sure that the urge to dig her target was far stronger than any desire to test the 800...even after all these years  and good intentions I just start digging! I want to see the gold-right now!!!

fred

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Here's part II: 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fredmason said:

I am sure that the urge to dig her target was far stronger than any desire to test the 800...even after all these years  and good intentions I just start digging! I want to see the gold-right now!!!

fred

I have to agree with that too Fred. The urge to know straight away what a signal is is usually paramount to anything else.¬†ūüĎć

Good luck to you out there

JW :smile:

I certainly know the feeling his girlfriend has, my trash to nugget ratio is about 100 to 1 ūüôā

Great videos. Tells the truths of nugget hunting.

strick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've worked the Little San Domingo many times and often get skunked like Bill did this time. His advice to find a small area and work it is so true!!! I'm sure he thought he was getting the 800's coil over gold too just like his friend. Those targets sounded great. The lead and small tin targets are everywhere in that area. My Makro Gold Racer can get pretty noisy on that ground. The 800 was very quiet. It was great to see the 800 giving accurate target ID numbers and good depth. That is another big plus for the Equinox since most other VLF detectors have to run in low to mid sensitivity All Metal at this site because using high sensitivity will drive you nuts with all of the hot rocks and using disc kills depth there. Most of the gold VLFs running All Metal prospecting mode don't have target ID and neither do the PIs .  Gold 2 might have been a better choice for that area since most of the gold is smaller stuff.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Happa54
      Hey everyone… I hope you all had a great weekend hunt.
      I cut my teeth in this hobby on the ML Safari which is basically a tone machine, and the TID’s are secondary. This is the way I run my 600. I like to hear all tones. I don’t know anyone who has the 800 so I don’t know what tone breaks sound like but I am guessing there are 5…correct?
      I like to hear a nickel as a nickel, a dime as a dime, quarter as a quarter, and so on. Au naturale on tones is what I’m used to.
      I have been going back and forth in my decision to either purchase the 800 or keep the 600. For me there is a technical aspect between the two that would seal it up for me…. And that is;
      Pound for pound, is the 600 just as powerful or equal to the 800 when maxed out at recovery speed 3 vs recovery speed of 6 on the 800? 3 on the 600 is equal to 6 on the 800 but are they really equal as written in the manual?  Some of you own both models… do you see any differences when running both at speeds of 6 or 4?
      I have noticed through reading and watching videos that most Nox 800 owners don’t seem to hunt often above 6 or 7 on the recovery speed.  In fact, from my observations, most 800 users seem to hunt at 6, 5 and 4… and for obvious reasons mainly due to loss of depth and erratic signals. I hunt mostly in recovery speed 2 on my 600 which is equal to 4 on the 800.
      So, being that my emphasis is on tones and slower recovery speeds, is it really necessary to upgrade to the 800? Who hunts in speeds of 7-8? I hunt the some of the most polluted parks in L.A. and I go low and slow. Learned that habit from my Safari.
      I am clear on the loss of gold prospecting, profiling, etc. with the 600 but I am not concerned about these features.  I still use my Audio Technica or Grey Ghosts Ultimates and have wires dangling but I prefer it this way since I am into hearing quality tones.
      Your input is much appreciated…. Thank you
    • By Bhogg
      I was out today had the Nox and the SDC and after getting a 2.56 gram nugget with the SDC I decided to run the Nox over it to see what number it was ringing up and to my surprise it wouldn’t pick it up on Gold mode 1 but would on Gold mode 2,  but even more unusual was it would pickup a .04 nugget on mode 1 and not the 2.56 nugget.
      I found this a bit strange anyone have an explanation for this?.
      I tried to load a video I took of me running the Nox over both nuggets but it said it was over the size limit allowed so not sure if there’s another way to load it up on here? The video only goes for a minute and twelve seconds.
       Cheers 

• By Johnnysalami1957
      I was just wondering why someone would choose a detector with only 3 selectable frequencies over a machine that has more than 3 selectable frequencies and can operate in multi frequency? 
    • By Lunk
      I finally got my hands on the long-awaited new 6-inch coil for my Minelab Equinox 800 (thank you Gerry); definitely a sight for sore eyes!

I had a couple of hours to kill this afternoon, so I took it to an old nugget patch where I had found a few bits with the Gold Monster last year. The Nox is ultra-lightweight with this small coil, making the detector nearly effortless to swing. Set to all-metal in Gold 1 with Sensitivity at 24, the EQX was zipping pretty hard on the hot rocks, but notch-discriminating them out helped tremendously whenever they started to get thick. Straight away I got a hot rock signal reading -7,-8,-9 on the EQX display, but in the mix were some jumpy positive numbers of anywhere from 1 to 5...hmmm, definitely worth investigating. After removing the first inch of soil with the pick, the small hot rock was out. Moving the coil back over the target zone now displayed a solid 2 on the display screen, with an occasional jump from 1 to 5. After another 3 inches of depth, the target was in the scoop:

The small, heart-shaped nugget was undoubtedly apropos, since I was already quite enamored with this little 6-inch sharpshooter.ūüėć

Just 2 feet away I hit a persistent signal of 1; this time, the gold was only an inch deep...easy money.

Swinging down slope only a few more feet and I had a repeatable 2 on the display; a screamer at 2 inches, this bit had some thickness compared to the first two, and was in a small clay-filled crevice in the bedrock.

The fourth target was a ripper from the get-go, but as I was removing soil from the hole, I noticed a much fainter signal as I waved the scoop over the coil. A quick sifting revealed a tiny little speck of yellow:

No doubt about it, the 6-inch coil is super hot. With the main target still screaming in the hole, I finally had it in the scoop after removing 3 inches of soil: a mini arrowhead-shaped golden beauty.

I couldn’t be more pleased with this new coil, a solid performer on the gold fields. Well done Minelab.

• By sdbirder
      I've noticed when I transition from submerged saltwater to bone dry beach my ground balance will shoot up into the 50-70's until the coil drys up. My quandary, should I trust this reading or manually set it at what I know the dry beach is (usually is 0 to 7)? I've tried both and it doesn't seem to matter much, but then there's always the fear of missing something due to an incorrect setting and I just wanted to confirm the best practice.
      Thanks in advance!

• By NSC
      This Eq800 testing video comes from Facebook.
      I understand it was filmed at a Minelab Turkey demonstration day 
      I would like to know the settings 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/157635448164052/permalink/282204502373812/