What a life you have lived Steve, I can't wait to read the next part.  You Dad sounds like a great guy.

• Like 3

Cool Steve, I had the pop-corn only just popping when the "to be continued" came along. :laugh: look forward to it. Thanks.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 1

The 4 D's & a P.

Dream, Dredge, Detector, Dad with a plane sure can make a young mans life enjoyable.  So cool to read.

Steve, our telephone number was 3 shorts and a long.... remember yours?

• Haha 1

Nope, I was a mere tyke Harry. I remember the old crank phone more for what happened to it later. It sat around in a shed and my friends and I played with it electrocuting each other by turning the crank while holding the wires. Funny what makes for a toy when you have to make your own! :smile:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Very good Steve, I remember the party line. Also started with a 3” dredge bought from your store around ‘79 or ‘80, was on an inner tube. Super Cub on 36” tires best thing out there with a good pilot. I see this being a long story, can’t wait for more

• Like 2

Hey Bob! My fathers Cub had smaller tires if my thinking is right. I have seen those 36” tires and they are crazy tall. I am thinking ours were more like 24” - 28”? Anyway, we had some good times at Mills! Thanks for any help you give John. 🙂

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By MSC
      Going to Quartzite area for two weeks starting next Friday the 19th with two friends. Be the first time spending that much time round there. Temperatures are getting cool enough, hope to find some gold.  
    • By Steve Herschbach
      There are few places left where you can dredge legally in the United States, especially with larger suction dredges. Alaska however is very dredging friendly. I have been updating the Alaska Mining Claims For Sale page and there are several decent dredging claim packages available now at some good prices. If you are looking for a summer long dredging adventure, this is the place to start so check it out.

• By RedDirtDigger
      Two of us made the 5 day trip from eastern OZ to the Western Australian goldfields for a 8 week detecting trip.(armed with 7000,s and SDC)
      We targeted remoter spots that are not really on the radar. We invested in a pile of permits and researched lots of available ground spots. Lots of walking and lots of barren gullies and creeks...... but  occasionally we found the odd gully or slope not touched by a detector that yielded some nice runs of gold. We went 50/50 with our finds, sharing is the way to get a bigger tally when 2 or 3 of you (of equal ability) spread out searching large areas. All up we shared 45 ounces between two of us. There are many ugly specimens not pictured and we will have a big crush and smelt day soon. Cheers RDD  

• By jrbeatty
      A comment I made on Jins post recently reminded me of how easy it is to walk over good sized gold.
      We are all familiar with the horrible loud screams detectors make over big surface targets. Sometimes the cause is obvious, usually surface rubbish such as a visible piece of tin or squashed beer can.
      Occasionally, when walking paddocks (which I mostly do) it turns out to be something useful, such as a lost spanner or fuel cap from a tractor - I have even found a grease gun lying concealed in the grass. These items I always return to the grateful landowner.
      More commonly, however, it is something useless like an old horseshoe, worn out cultivator point and/or the sheared bolts which once held it to the plough tyne. After digging a number of these the temptation to keep walking (with ears still ringing) becomes ~almost~ irresistible.
      Back in the Minelab SD2200 days I had permission to work a large Victorian property located on the Tarnagulla granite pluton to the north of Dunolly. This had a number of unworked shallow Tertiary palaeochannels crossing it, on one of which I located a 7 oz patch. Mostly the gold was smallish and reasonably deep, but the same location was also littered with shallow shotgun shells. These were very loud and nearly drove me nuts, and in my frustration I ignored one outlier - - -
      Fast forward a number of years and, armed with later technology  (GPX4000) I decided to check the patch once more and - - - WHUMP/SCREAM - - - greeted my ears over that same target.
      I kicked the dirt in annoyance -  and then spotted the 70 grammer I had ignored years earlier:

I had foolishly made the assumption that all the gold in that patch was deep and small, therefore loud shallow targets had to be junk - overlooking the possibility that something once deep could have been ploughed to the surface - - - I kept it to remind me of the old detecting maxim: "Dig your targets" 

• By Boogness
      I am planning on bringing my SDC 2300 or my gold bug pro with 5” coil to one of these places. I am looking for any kind of info or tips on the likelihood of finding anything in each of these places since I’m pretty well new to detecting and have had no luck in past outings. Never been to crow creek before and spent only a little time in Hatcher Pass. Every time I’ve gone out with the GBP I was overwhelmed with hotrocks, which made me purchase the 2300 in hopes of seeing through them without trouble. I still find hotrocks with the 2300 but not as bad as the GBP. 
    • By Condor
      I was actually over on the Sawtooth side, but most people recognize the Rye Patch.  I consider myself a fairly rugged guy, but N NV in July is no place to be without some decent shelter from the afternoon sun and heat.  A 10 X 10 Walmart quick shade seems to provide shade, but focus the radiant heat somehow making it hotter under the shade,  if that makes sense.  The afternoon breezes are hot and dry leaving my only thoughts to cold drinks.  Cold beer was my last choice, Gatorade and water were the only solutions.  I endured 2 days and found 1 tiny nugget with the Nox 800.
      I rode my Rokon and explored way up an old "ghost road" on the afternoon of the first day.  With field glasses I saw a couple canyons that had exposed bedrock and I aimed to hike them the next morning while it was cool.  N NV climate is a funny thing, I woke up to 61 degrees, but temps would climb to 90 by 11AM.  As I was gathering my gear, I had one of those nagging premonitions.  I suspect we have them all the time, but only remember the ones that come true.  Nevertheless, I packed extra water and my Garmin Satellite Communication device.  I was merrily riding up the ghost road enjoying the refreshing morning air when, bang.  I felt the Rokon torque converter explode into the protective fiberglass shield.  Fortunately, I was only half way to my destination.  I carry tools and some spare parts, but no amount of duct tape was going to fix this problem.  I pulled all the unnecessary stuff out of my pack and started walking back to my truck.  It was all downhill, with a decent breeze so I made good time before the unbearable heat set in.  I packed my truck and strapped down all my gear for some tricky 4 wheeling to get back up there to the Rokon.  Turns out to be 4.7 rugged miles.  I loaded the Rokon and decided to head for home in sunny Yuma where it was only 116 degrees. 
      It could have been worse however; the Garmin device, in addition to the emergency SOS,  has a feature where you can send free preselected messages to your family and friends.  At the end of the message the device stamps your GPS coordinates so they know where you are.  Since I do so much prospecting alone, I make this compromise so people worry less about me.  For $30.00 a month service fee, it's cheap insurance and my family worry less.  So, every night I send a preselected message of "Alive and Well" and they can plot my last location if something happens to me.  Staying home where it's safe is not an option in my world.