• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This gold prospecting and metal detecting story takes us all the way back to the beginning - my beginning that is.  I was fortunate enough to be born in the Territory of Alaska in 1957. Alaska was sti

I got my first metal detector in 1972, a White's Coinmaster 4-TR. This was before ground balancing technology was developed. The older BFO (beat frequency oscillator) models of the 60's were just bein

The rest of the trip was nice though clouds kept threatening to move in. They would clear out however and the sun would appear again. With time running out I got back to detecting with the GPZ 7000 pl

Posted Images

The 4 D's & a P.

Dream, Dredge, Detector, Dad with a plane sure can make a young mans life enjoyable.  So cool to read.

Nope, I was a mere tyke Harry. I remember the old crank phone more for what happened to it later. It sat around in a shed and my friends and I played with it electrocuting each other by turning the crank while holding the wires. Funny what makes for a toy when you have to make your own! :smile:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Very good Steve, I remember the party line. Also started with a 3” dredge bought from your store around ‘79 or ‘80, was on an inner tube. Super Cub on 36” tires best thing out there with a good pilot. I see this being a long story, can’t wait for more

• Like 2

Hey Bob! My fathers Cub had smaller tires if my thinking is right. I have seen those 36” tires and they are crazy tall. I am thinking ours were more like 24” - 28”? Anyway, we had some good times at Mills! Thanks for any help you give John. ?

Steve , I believe if you had to live your life all over again you wouldn't change one thing. I and my wife when we started out prospecting, gold panning, dredging along with metal detecting that we feel the same way and would not change the adventures and opportunities that came are way. Our youngest daughter, son-in-law and grand kids moved to Homer four years ago and their neighbor across the street was a person named Dave Olsen. Dave's stories and gold he and his partners found dredging in the Bering Sea and inland around the Nome area was incredible. My son-in-law and Dave are in a remote area out of Nome now and are dredging and on some good gold. We gave a gold detector to my son-in-law for Christmas to take with him this summer and hopefully he and Dave will find more gold to take home with them.

Can't wait to hear your next chapter!

Here's some pictures of my son-in-law and Dave getting the gold!

DSC06833.thumb.jpg.f46dc0885aaea8066d9fce2cf8a4bf92.jpgDSC06834.thumb.jpg.b2ee7f9b48336df2231ae79d4ea73c9e.jpgDSC06952.thumb.JPG.3249318afa5683dbcc634777a0a9a49f.JPG

• Like 9

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Dances With Doves
      Back when  Palladium was around $400 a man   lost his almost 20 gram ring with stones in a shallow  bay on a  Finger Lake.He called the club and my buddy called me and we made the half hour drive to the spot.He did not know  where he lost it in this about 20 acre  cove.Armed with my 5by8 coil on My At gold I got a most unusual sound and  scooped up his huge ring.I walked over to him since he met us there and I drooped the ring in  his hand and asked if this is what you are looking for.This man was so happy  because he  did not believe he would ever see the ring again.He gave the  club a gift of about $150 and  since then the price of palladium has hit about $2400.One other time a man on the  beach lost his ring just by posing for  pictures on the beach. I found it in 20 seconds since I was walking by  when they lost it. I said  I don't  want anything and just kept on hunting down the beach.In this instance a man lost something without even being overly active.The only time I got paid was when i found a young man's key to his  sport       car which was  expensive to replace .I found it in 30 seconds and this guy was  very happy.He offered me money but I refused.He kept on   insisting so   i said I will use it to take my buddy to  Wendy' s to celebrate you getting your  key back.Me and my buddy used the         $20 for a nice meal at Wendy's.One other time someone left a keg on the beach and me and my buddy split the $20  deposit.You  never  know what adventure the beach will bring you.
    • By Tiftaaft
      My Quest - 2021.
      In years past I have set goals on what I want to accomplish with my detector each year.  The past few years, I have been sidetracked by a re-location to a new job in a new city, and really spent the time getting settled with my family… but as I look out my window in West Houston, and see the snow falling to the ground (yes I said West Houston..!!), I felt it was time to engage my competitive nature in detecting again.
      I happen to live about 6 blocks away from an elementary school, and through historical topo research I discovered that this was a school grounds back to at least 1915.  Of course, as with many school grounds these days… a new school was built, and then another, each one covering a bit, and a bit more of the historical playground area with either the new building(s) or parking lots.  And in the case of this old school – a portion turned into a fenced off water run-off area.  However some of the original grounds exist in an open field adjacent to the new school and parking area, along with some old growth trees, that appeared to be small but in existence judging from the earliest aerials I could find. 
      I have hunted this site since moving here (I mean… it is old ground and walking distance from my house) many times…  I believe a large portion of the ground is overlay/fill dirt to set up a good platform for the new school grounds… so any old finds in this area have been non-existent… However, as I have hunted nearer to a tree line on the outside edge of the old grounds, I have popped up a few older finds, one merc, and a handful of wheaties, along with some clad.  I can tell this site has been cherry picked with the best of them… the one silver coin, and the higher conductive clad finds have been co-located with iron, or other trash…  And this site has plenty of iron and trash.  Which brings me to my long-winded Quest for this year.
      This hammered site (hunted many times by me in the past year, but also obviously hammered prior to my time here) is my target for 2021.  I have hunted it enough times to know these will not be easy “just get the coil over the target” goals… My Quest is as follows:
      One Silver Coin One Indian Head Cent One Buffalo Nickel One "V" Nickel The challenge will be un-masking a silver coin - given the cherry picked nature and masked potential targets of this site.  Challenging in a different way will be finding the lower conductors in the heavy trash area (for example, the few nickels I have recovered, were at a ratio of at least 1 in 25 tabs - all coming in at either solid 12 or 13 on my Equinox).  I will start by trying to use the technology of my machines, and develop my ability to decipher what they are telling me especially in the areas where I have uncovered the wheat cents near the trees, and hopefully making me a better detectorist in the process.  However, I am not shy from endeavoring to start “cleaning out” small sections of the site at a time, which will be lots of trash digging, but if I have learned nothing from my experience and all the posts from more experienced detectorists than me… a site is NEVER hunted out. 
      If nothing else – posting it here will keep me motivated to strive toward the goal.  I will follow up with my progress in much shorter forum posts, I promise 😊. 
      HH in 2021 everyone.  ~Tim.
    • By Dances With Doves
      I got lucky and found 2 1909  quarter eagle  gold coins in 1 hole.The expert hunter Mike Moutray while driving around the country and hunting with people who  guided him to good spots in  their area. He got a hold of my buddy and we  met him at a restaurant and went south to a place that had a old    sulfur spring  and use to  have a  gambling horse track.He hunted around a 200 year old plus oak tree and only went 3/4 of the way around it. He then went to the rest  room and to a different  spot.I went to the tree and hunted in  areas he did not hunt and got a iffy hit.I used my  Sun Ray  probe and got a pull tab hit and pulled out a gold coin and then got my second.I put in my probe and got the same hit but pulled out a fired  bullet.I am sure that he would have  probably got it of  he hunted the whole  tree.I had the coins in the gold pan I had with  the dirt and when he saw them he rolled his  eyes probably because he knows he did not hunt the whole tree.He did get his first 3 cent silver though.This happened in October 2003.
    • By PG-Prospecting
      Fun little outing from a year or two ago.  No gold found but the day was cut short by an east coast land mine aka ground bees.  

I use lidar to discuss my methodology and reasoning for detecting this area.  I also discuss what I look for when detecting for gold on the east coast out side of stream channels.  

you can get a good idea of the challenges faced when detecting for gold on the east coast, (thick leaf mat, organic topsoil increases the depth that a detector has to see through to even reach possible good ground.  Vegetation covers everything etc.  

Hope y’all enjoy.  Feed back is always appreciated.  

• By KellycoDetectors
      Hello everyone!
      The name is Matt Ryan. I run the Youtube channel Tennessee Adventures and am part of the Kellyco VIP team. 
      I was out with my Nokta Simplex the other day when I got a really good signal ringing up lower than a penny. I had the Nokta Makro Simplex in field mode and the sensitivity was set to halfway. I prefer to use field mode because it seems a lot deeper than the other modes to me and I prefer the tones on it way better.
      I picked that particular park because the trees were really old. That’s usually something that I pay attention to. 
      After I cut the plug and used my pinpointer to locate the coin, I realized I had dug up an old coin. 
      Completely shocked, I looked at the coin and realized I found an 1863 Civil War era Indian Head Penny. 
      It’s the oldest coin that I have ever found. Watch the video to learn more!
    • By Gerry in Idaho
      Half the fun is meeting people.
      I’ve been fortunate in my metal detecting career to find some Gems, both in gold and in Gents.   This industry has been in my family for 40+ years and 25 of it, me being a dealer of detectors.  Yes in that many years of digging lead, I screw up on occasion and find a nugget or two.  But on a really rare 2 moons shining, I cross paths with a Gem of a detectorist or two.  (Pic below is Darrell on the left, Pieter in the middle and I holding his book)
      A few weeks ago I was fortunate to meet two outstanding detectorists, Gems of friends (Darrell & his detecting buddy Pieter).  Heck we hunted meteorites and gold, shared a couple beers & told a story or two around a camp fire.  It’s not often I find someone, let alone 2 guys who’ve been swing a detector longer than I.   But….the fun and highlight of the trip was yet to come and even more precious than the gold/meteorites I dug. 
      The last night and after Darrell had left (I wish he would have stayed).  I was able sit down and listen/hear/dream of Pieter Heydelaar and his memories shared of the early gold hunts in Australia with his wife and the pounds of patches they recovered with early day VLF detectors.
      Pic below is Lunk and Darrell.  Check out that fine 2 room camp tent.

Having Darrell and Pieter in the same camp as I, around the fire, and in the field swinging side by side was just amazing. Boy I sure found a couple true treasures and well worth more than all the gold & space rocks I found.  I have to give credit where credit due, so Thank you Mr. Lunk for putting this special hunt together and a few days in the field with some fine Gems & Gents. 
      For those who are interested in prospecting Southern California and Arizona, I was able to purchase a dozen of Pieter’s book “Successful Nugget Hunting”, Volume #1.  What I like about this book is the pretty detailed map and directions to some of his gold producing sites, which he describes and shares.  The book is $17, but I only have 10 left.
      A special thanks goes out to Chef Rusty as well.  His outstand chauffeur service, accommodating lodging and fine dining were top notch again.  After all, what are friends for.  (Pic below is Lunk on left, Pieter in the middle and Rusty on right who's mad as I ate the last slice of pie.)

One thing is for sure.  Even though Darrell & Pieter are 20 yrs (wiser) than I, they are hard hunters...so this young lad got schooled.
      That's perfectly fine with me...they earned it.  (pic below is Pieter & Lunk at a meteorite site & the limo.

How many of you out there know Pieter and some of his accomplishments in meteorite and gold nugget hunting?  How about some of you Aussies who have been chasing gold down under for many years, I bet some of your stories are just as Golden.