Finally A Beach Hunt With The AQ

Finally I  was able to get to a beach after their season ended. I used the AQ in all metal and mute modes. I could not use the tone mode since I was way too close to the Acela high speed train. Most of the trains that run that rail don't affect my pulse machines too much, but when the Acela hits the rails, it's a no go for any machine. The AQ handled it a bit better than my GPX does. But you still have to hear the interference and at times you just can't hunt. I hunted for 5 1/2 hours with the AQ  (2 3/4 hrs per each battery). The low tide was exceptionally "high" at +0.9. This did not allow me to get much wet sand, so most of the hunt is in dry sand and any wet sand I could find. This is just the first part of the hunt involving the AQ. I hunted another 3 1/2 hours with the GPX not shown here.  I have a lot to learn, so I am digging every target. I am getting better at knowing hair pins, as I could call most of them before I dug them. Bottle caps are a different story, as the only idea they might be bottle caps was the extremely strong and wider signal. But I think a gold ring a 2" would sound the same? I should be able to get out again soon and hit a very good low tide, so I will have better information on how I do in the iron and wet sand. I did manage to get a small silver ring, some bling jewelry and a lot of exercise! Settings were Carolina's settings. Thanks man! I ran at 7.5us most of the time. I still like how the AQ responds and feels generally. Only real drawback is swapping out a battery making sure no sand gets into the connections. For those that have way more experience on the AQ than I do, have you found the depth on dry sand to be equal or less than wet sand?

P9130164.JPG

P9130165.JPG

Almost enough to scare me away from the AQ until I saw you were mostly in the dry. Interesting though the bottle caps, from my quick count, about 1/3 of the caps were Corona's.......the average for Corona would be very similar down here in Florida at my beaches.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Cliff

6 minutes ago, cdv said:

Almost enough to scare me away from the AQ until I saw you were mostly in the dry. Interesting though the bottle caps, from my quick count, about 1/3 of the caps were Corona's.......the average for Corona would be very similar down here in Florida at my beaches.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff. Dry is all I had this week. The machine isn't really intended to be used like I am using it. My beach season is just getting started, so I will do more  lower slope wet sand hunts, as I can get out. The water hunts are left to the pros to show. Just wanted to add that the machine ran very stable when not exposed to the train, which was about 20 feet away.

32 minutes ago, cdv said:

Cliff

I have a lot to learn, so I am digging every target. I am getting better at knowing hair pins, as I could call most of them before I dug them. Bottle caps are a different story, as the only idea they might be bottle caps was the extremely strong and wider signal. 

This was the exact report. He not only went on dry sand but also was digging every target  while  learning the sounds.

38 minutes ago, Willy said:

This was the exact report. He not only went on dry sand but also was digging every target  while  learning the sounds.

Definitely!  and, I'll probably do the same to learn the "language" of the AQ. 

Cliff

If I ever get the AQ, I too will be digging everything to see what it does, but probably won't hunt the dry sand.

Curious if the tone is flatter on the bottle caps or do they have the same exact sound as a quarter? Usually iron hits bit harder on my no frills PI and I still dig it just because it bothers me I could be wrong 🙂