Paid The Dues for Success!

Detectors are cheap. What are the hundreds or thousands of hours worth? My time is far more valuable than any detector, and since my coil is only going over most ground exactly once, it better be the coil and machine that gives me the very best shot at seeing what is in the ground. Inches are miles in this game. I can't afford to use anything less than a GPZ for what I am doing. That's how I feel about it anyway. Everyone makes their own calls for their own reasons; mine are no better than anyone else's.

• Like 2

Tvanwho, there isn't much to compare the size of the nuggets for total weight, but it was 4.8 dwts on those coils. Plenty of beer & rib eye $ if it was in a single poke...lol

I'd like to show you my early Christmas gift, my new Treasure Poke Box...them little guys add up!

LuckyLundy

post-1-0-90566600-1449203408_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Got to agree, whilst gold has always paid the way, the hobby is what it is about. To compare with fishing, have an excuse for why I don`t catch many fish, reckon they cost about $5000 each fish (boats, fuel, tackle etc) thus can`t afford to catch many!!!!!!!! A nugget, a coin or a fish tis the same difference if you enjoy.

• Like 1

I suppose....but I'd rather have a new 2016 Toyota 4 runner or 2016 Chevy Colorado 4wd truck or a new Dodge diesel 4x4 truck for that $40,000 myself.....or a pole barn and a backhoe ......to each his own....not any nugget gold where I live...just galena and a bit of copper so far...but I can still dream of the yellow rocks....

• Like 2

I think I found enough with my first SD2200 back in the day to pay for all my detectors, each model up was worth it's weight in gold found. It's fun to go out with my buddy's, and hunt for the gold. With any hobby you gotta pay to play, but at least this hobby pays for itself if you pay your dues in the gold fields.

But, but, but - if I've got a mid range priced detector and I find $10 or 20 or 30 bucks worth of gold, my end of day experience is really great, isn't it?

My hunts are no less exuberant than those who swing a big gun, finding the same crumbs that I can find, proving that it is not "completely" the machine.

I have as much fun, as much adventure and as much quality experience as anyone, spending much less, realizing a much bigger return with my smaller investment.

Let me make one thing very clear, I do not go to the "old fields" to hunt (although I have started there at times) but rather, I go where no man has gone before. This to me is the ultimate adventure - to find gold that is not in a pounded "old field."

Like those who went before us, having had the exuberance of finding the "lode," is one of my biggest dreams. 

So, all you ZED swingers - get out there and find it! 

I've seen enough "dinks" in my life, show me some pounders. Then I'll be impressed -

Let's all remember - Steve's big rewards weren't found with an elephant gun.

• Like 3

Beardog,

Now I know your comments weren't directed at me and if I drag out my Topo's of all the virgin patches NuggetSlayer and I found, even you'd be impressed! We've never came close to a 12 ounce nugget, nor do we follow behind a bulldozer. Don't think for a minute none of us don't stomp the woods or desert hills in search of our own dreams. We all pay our dues and we make the most of our spare time, where time permits!

Rick

• Like 3

I had to wake up and realize too that retirement age is fast approaching and I cannot afford to keep buying all these expensive toys.

Retirement expenses and health issues will eat you up at some point, so a pile of money saved in the bank for a buffer , will ease the pains and anxiety of old age a bit. Heck, I see there are a whole mess of detectors on the Classifieds even now !! I need to sell a few myself. Been cleaning house again lately and taking car loads of stuff to Goodwill all year. Gots to downsize to a few gold machines of various types. Heck, might need to start playing with my old Sega Genesis for old times sake....

I have owned four Minelab PI's. Their combined cost comes nowhere close to

the value of the sheer pleasure and happiness using them has brought me,

the experiences I have had and the friends I have made.

Oh yes, I have found some gold too.

Keep it going Lucky…you guys have a healthy attitude.

It has nothing to do with money.