President's Day Big Gold

Condor

I packed up the girlfriend, 5th wheel, RZR and 2 GoldenDoodles and GPZ 7000 for a long weekend of detecting with another Forum member.  We've been exploring a gold area off the beaten path for several weeks, finding the odd sub-gram pieces here and there.  The area has very little placer history, mostly load gold from back in the 30's.  After studying the maps we were determined to keep pushing west, hitting as many little feeder gulches as possible hoping to find a hot spot.

Day 1:  I found 2 small pieces after a lot of walking.  Fellow Forum member found nothing but skunk.

Day 2:  We decided to abandon our original plan and go back to an area near an old lode gold mine.  I found the skunk, friend found 2 pieces for about 1 gram total.

Day 3:  Back to the plan, keep pushing west through a series of small gullies.  I hit an area of shallow bedrock for 6 small nuggets.  I get back to the RZR and my friend has that grin and tells me he thinks he found an area worth exploring.  He then pops a 3/4 oz nugget in my hand.  He says "oh, I also found these in the same area, 5.5 grams of chunky nuggets.   Like a lot of fellow prospectors, I'm just as happy when someone, anyone finds some decent gold on a joint excursion.  Sweet, what a day.  He points out the landmarks and gives me a general description of the area because he has to return home to grade college exams.  

Day 4:  I head back out to the area he described.  I spent close to 2 hrs scouting and had about given up finding the zone he described when I saw a fresh dig.  I worked up the gully and saw several more fresh digs, being that we are the only prospectors within 50 miles, I start the search in earnest.  I'm confident he has covered the gully, so I start detecting the flanks and hillside.  I immediately find the 2 small pieces in the photo.  Small in this context is relative to the big nugget next to them, they are by no means small considering my past month of detecting finds.   I expanded out from there and get a faint whisper of a target in the flats between 2 gullies.  I dig for a solid 20 minutes in hardpacked gravel and caliche.  I had to summon a couple friends nearby to come help.  We took turns digging, making sure not to hit the nugget.  We busted out 2 big rocks cemented in the caliche and finally the target was screaming at sensitivity of 1.  Down to a dental pick and a pinpointer to pick around in the caliche and not damage the nugget.  Probably close to 45 minutes and a hole about 2ft wide and 18 inches down before Eureka.  There she is.  

Days/weekends like this are pretty rare these days.  We need one every now and then to keep the fire going and keep pushing that coil.  

IMG_20210216_183716311.jpg

IMG_20210216_183804959.jpg

IMG_20210215_145655194.jpg

IMG_20210215_145835847.jpg

IMG_20210216_171922925.jpg

IMG_20210216_171942285.jpg

Nice haul, congrats to you both!

Most excellent! I hope there's another 3/4 of a 6000 out there waiting for you.