Found Some Nice Old Silver To Start 2021 Out

Got out this weekend for about 4 hours with the Equinox 800 and 11" coil. The outing started out a little slow and after 3 hours I was getting a little discouraged. I had dug a few small musket balls, a dropped Sharps bullet and a crushed cuff button. So decided to head over to where my 2 buddies were digging.

As I changed directions and worked toward them, I got a jumpy 15-16 on  the Equinox and was rewarded with not 1 but 2 J hooks in the same hole. The area I worked between where I was and where my buddies were hunting was loaded with iron and progress was slow in getting there. When I got about 50 yards from my one friend I got a 19-20 signal and dug a zinc penny about 2 inches down. I thought great what's that doing here. Not 5  feet from the zinc penny I got an identical 19-20 signal only deeper. My first thought was another zinc penny. But at about 6 inches down in the bottom of the plug was a nice 1857-O half dime. That made my day! I walked over to show my closest friend and asked how long he was planning to stay as it was his permission. He told me he actually needed to get started back toward the truck now.

We were about half way back to the trucks when I got a 18-20 signal one way but negative numbers the other. This kind of signal usually turns out to be iron but I decided that this might be my last decent signal and dug it anyway. I was down about pin pointer depth and the item was still in the hole, I loosened the dirt and took one last handful out of the bottom and through it on my pile next to the hole. In the pile I could see the edge of a large coin, so I called to my friend and said I think I have another coin. He came over and his first words were wow it's old. I said looks like a quarter and he said no it looks like a 2 real. I picked the coin up and to my surprise it was an 1781 2 real. Two great old coins in one hunt, still can't believe my luck. There's still stuff to be found out there.
20210307_164909.thumb.jpg.35f1ecc31853b9ad4b265a60ed1d665d.jpg20210307_164930.thumb.jpg.fbd26c845a300153badd0a1677273fcb.jpg20210307_164942.thumb.jpg.adac1c0f57a654304e884c1e947e4a5d.jpg

Sweet Silver man! nice going gotta love those last minute scores.  ht

The silver is just awesome.  How about that reed for an instrument? I have found several all different sizes where I’m detecting now. 

Great finds! A 2 Real on the left coast. Awesome.

I've been finding a lot of those Reeds on a steamboat landing. Had no idea what they were. 👍

Nice hunt. That seated 1/2 dime is really sharp.

2 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Holy smoke Andrew !  Correct me if I'm wrong but reales are very rare find in your part of the USA, right ?  And ... sheesk ... 1781 no less !   Congratz dude !!

Thanks, Tom yes fairly rare although I have a few older sites around me that have given up some Spanish silver. This is my second 2R. I've also found 3 1/2 R's and a 1R. This last coin however is the oldest I've found.

Glad you didn't give up, and came home with those great finds.

Good luck on your next outing.