Installed The GPZ Upgrade

klunker

Sourdough Scott drove 40 miles on icy roads to come help me install the upgrades into the Z. My old computer had a bit of a rough time with it as little signs popped up saying YA CAN'T GET THERE FROM HERE! and  I AINT A GONNA DO IT! Scott had just about given up when we noticed the screen on the detector showed that the upgrade was loading. So now I'm all up to date. I pains me to admit that I am quit impressed with the technology.  I sure hope Minelab put all the screws back in when they were done.

We took the detector out the next day and I can honestly say - I couldn't tell any difference. But one short day is not a fair or complete test.

The one change I did notice was in the threshold tone. Now instead of a soothing mosquito hum I get a continuous loop of the chorus from Waltzing Matilda and a disgusting burp replaces the low-high signals and a hiccup replaces the high-low signals.  That SS is a funny guy.

Knowing the origin of the song, I can' help but Norvic might have had a hand in the bad joke.

But I'll say THANK YOU SCOTT anyway.     

Neither Chris nor I really noted any difference before and after update, but it is pretty subtle. It just makes the machine less likely to go awry in certain circumstances, like getting your pick too close. Best results from the update have of course come from Australia where it seems to have been tuned more specifically for issues occurring there and not here.

See http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:XkCy5WfW9kcJ:minelab.bridgehead.com.au/treasure-talk/gpz-7000-ground-tracking-software-update+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us for details.

Original software – February 2015 (Control Panel: 1.0.8-57)

post-1-0-29396800-1452618537_thumb.jpg

Ground Tracking Update – October 2015 (Control Panel: 1.2.8-98)

post-1-0-32478600-1452618536_thumb.jpg

Thanks Steve.

I would sure like to know just what exactly gets changed with the update. Tx, Rx, Audio filtering or what? I did notice that touching the upper shaft with my hand would actually produce a very slight rise in the threshold. I had never noticed it before the update.  ???

I don't think they used any Yankee Hotrocks 'cuz my gpz does not ignore ironstone from the dale...In three trips to oz I donot recall any of what I would call hotrocks. Plenty of hotspots, mineral domes and tough ground...As I recall the ironstone in Oz is somehow different...of course I could be confused-a regular condition these days.

fred

The update just helps the ground balance hold on the the ideal ground balance setting as set using the ferrite. That is not to say it will ignore hot rocks not ignored before, just ones that show up because the unit gets out of proper ground balance.

I am not aware of any changes to TX, RX, filtering, whatever. It actually might be it just is what they say it is, a tweak to the ground balance system, and nothing more.

You can always use it awhile, then reload the old software version, and again see if you can note any difference. I like the fact nobody is locked into or forced to use the update if they don't like it.

The upgrade most certainly hasn't harmed anything and this is a very limiting time of year to test any thing up here (except physical endurance).

So what do your Minelab spies tell you about forth coming upgrades? You do have spies don't you?

I am not speaking for Minelab here in any way, just making an observation. Many people, me included, hoped the ability to do software upgrades meant Minelab would keep upgrading our detectors via software continually, just like my iPhone for instance. So far, it appears that Minelab considers the software update capability to be no more than a way to fix specific issues that might be discovered after product release. The CTX got exactly one update that was primarily meant to fix a salt water ground balancing issue. The GPZ has seen an update, again, to fix a specific issue. What I have not seen is any indication that Minelab is treating this like XP and using software updates as a way to future proof a machine via significant operational changes.

I am not saying that sort of thing can't be done or that it will not be done. I don't know. But I am not holding my breath personally.

I can say positively that I noticed a difference after the upgrade. My Detector was constantly drifting into a negative ground balance especially running in hot ground or a lot of hot rocks. The threshold kept banging every time I lifted the coil off the ground. I accidentally fat fingered the reset the other day and I had a hard time getting the ground balance to ignore the ferrite. I went through the new ground balace process 3 times before I got it close, but it never did ignore the Ferrite at high Sens settings. I dropped Sens down to 12 and let go at that.

For me the upgrade was a very subtle alteration to the GB, a slightly noticeable refinement. Suspect we will see small gains over the years same as we did with the PIs, but on hot rocks, tree roots etc. well they are still "coming through". Before and after upgrade I have formed the opinion that it is not a machine for trashy areas,(trash especially large surface stuff, plays havoc the GB) I just do not use the quick track button at all, have not for months. Leave in auto GB and just slow down extra when it detects a soil change. Other than its extra depth and sensitivity it has another gain over the PIs, by swinging over a suspect signal the auto GB will most times take out the small false signals better(not tree roots or larger hot rocks), thus less time digging suspect signals, leading to better production.

Have faith, ML have sold us the future in gold detecting as they have for years.