GPZ Shaft Wobble Resolution

I change coils more than most, in fact I've changed coils 10 times in a day when testing out various coils on bits of gold, by doing this I'd caused myself some lower shaft wobble, it turns out I'd cracked part of a clip on the shaft, the clip with the little rubber pad had a crack in it, so the shaft wasn't holding on tight.  I suspect the people that had upper shaft issues where it wobbles a bit have either got the same crack on the pressure pad or they've just worn the little bit of rubber out.  Fortunately it's a very easy and cheap fix.

Here are the part numbers for the clip mechanism

X2 8008-0056 Pressure blocks
X1 8008-0072 Camlock lever
X1 4308-0033 Pin

The part I'd broken was the pressure blocks.  They come in a twin pack for replacement and are very easy to replace.

IMG_20210629_095518.jpg.f520b5b4deda6ce0a40bed1f61723e09.jpg

You dismantle the clip by removing the pin, I used a small screw driver to push it out of the clip.  You then just use a small flat head screw driver to lever them off, pushing each side of the pressure block away from the camlock lever as pictured below.

71011475_Pressureblockreplacement.jpg.a45ee0edbeed216d5b0c258f49f976fe.jpg

IMG_20210629_095524.jpg.96bf8a60fc378e0bf9505b1abe0fcfe3.jpg

This is the shaft with the clip removed.  You can see the grooves cut out of it where the pressure pads need to slide into so when reassembling made sure they're straight so they fit into the groove.

IMG_20210629_095539.jpg.7ddca72c4e1db443c1d3d519769a1a19.jpg

You can see the little circular lump on the left hand side pressure pad, it's what goes into that dug out groove.

IMG_20210629_095534.jpg.ca4bc84a38031b9facede002b7be8621.jpg

This is how the rubber pads look, I guess they can wear out over time and if they do your shaft would be wobbly.

IMG_20210629_095513.jpg.c0d532e894e9688cfed6fd92eec490d7.jpg

Minelab sell all the parts individually, so you can just order what you need for the repair.  They were very helpful with me, and had me solved by the next day using express shipping.  I bought a heap of the little parts so I have spares seeing I change coils so often.

In my case I just needed the pressure blocks, the pin and camlock lever were obviously fine.

So if anyone's putting up with some shaft wobble, it's cheap and simple to fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to make sure those pins stay in place too, mine have already tried to come out a couple of times and my detector is only about 7 mths old, and is used less than most.

1 minute ago, Sheppo said:

Got to make sure those pins stay in place too, mine have already tried to come out a couple of times and my detector is only about 7 mths old, and is used less than most.

That's very unusual, I found the pin very hard to get out, I ended up using a small phillips screw driver and tapping it with a hammer to get it to slide out.  To get it back in I also tapped them with a hammer as there was no way I was going to be pushing it back in with my fingers.  I wonder if your pin is slightly smaller than it should be.

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

That's very unusual, I found the pin very hard to get out, I ended up using a small phillips screw driver and tapping it with a hammer to get it to slide out.  To get it back in I also tapped them with a hammer as there was no way I was going to be pushing it back in with my fingers.  I wonder if your pin is slightly smaller than it should be.

I honestly haven’t chased it up, I probably should but it hasn’t caused me any major problems.

• 2 years later...

Just the information I was after, thanks.

*Pays to use the search function on the forum as many problems/fixes have been discussed before often