Back From Alaska, A Different Version

I also am back from Alaska, although its from a different part of the state than Steve was in. 
I am back from Gold King Creek, about 50 miles south of Fairbanks. It was quite an adventure. They run an operation for tourists as well as running a regular commercial scale operation at the same time. I did metal detecting and shoveled gravel into a highbanker. Shoveling gravel is taxing and  with my back still only at about 90% from my car accident, after a couple weeks of shoveling all day my back was in sore shape. I balanced off shoveling by metal detecting. I found 179 pieces of gold while I was there, but the total weight for all my detected gold was only 5.2 grams. The gold from Gold King is small (as is common for many Alaska placers). Now don't get me wrong, I had a ball detecting all of those 179 pieces, and there are a few rare larger bits in the area. One lady found a nugget of about 3.5 grams before we arrived with an SDC 2300 - very unusual. I think the biggest the commercial operator got while I was there was about a gram, and that is from 65 ounces he produced in the two weeks I was there. My biggest was about 0.2 grams, and average for the 179 pieces was about 0.03 grams. That's a testimony to the sensitivity of the GM 1000.  I did get some good gold by shoveling into the highbanker also. The gold does not occur on a real bedrock but on a hardpan of deep clay, real bed rock is 180 feet down and likely has no significant gold ( based on where the gold is coming from). Overall, I think it was a big success, I really enjoyed myself, the folks who went in with me had a great time, and I got to meet a lot of new folks, including some of the staff who were avid detector prospectors from Arizona. On trying to depart, I got stuck there for a day by low fog - which prevents planes from flying in. Very normal for an Alaskan prospecting adventure. I've now taken care of the things I need to do for the ICMJ magazine and am getting back on track to take care of all the other things that go with life here in the lower 48. There will be an article in the ICMJ on it with a lot more detail for those who subscribe, and I have a video about working on hardpan or false bedrock on my Youtube channel.

31_ounces.jpg

AK_detecting.JPG

Commercial_placer.jpg

GK Lodge.jpg

Flying in.jpg

shaker_table(2).jpg

detected_gold.jpg

visitor_gold.jpg

Thanks for the story.  It is good to get out there.

It reminds me of our trip a few years back when we went to Nome.

Mitchel

Cool trip Chris,

Glad you came home with a little extra weight in your pocket! And some great adventures to tell us about!👍👍

Congrats Chris, I enjoyed reading the story and someday hope to go to Alaska.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Thanks for the story and pictures from Goldtopia, otherwise known as Alaska. 

Chris,

Thanks for the pictures and story, this is a great time of year to be in Fairbanks. I was there also years back during this time of year and had a great time, the mosquitoes were not even bad when I went and enjoyed the long daylight hours.

Ron

Well you certainly bring back many memories Chris from my AK detecting adventures.  

Part of the fun on DP is us guys who devote the time to explore/adventure with detectors and then share out stories, photos and finds.  It allows others the chance to see/feel (with out the mosquitos) and enjoy the trip.

Glad you were able to stretch the back (get exercise while chasing gold), actually find quite a bit of Au and were able to come home safe.  Hopefully the back get to heeling more and we see you in the NNV fields this Fall.

Nice pics too.