New Find From Coolgardie, Australia

Hi Guys, 

Found a possible meteorite near Coolgardie (West Australia) last Friday.  

I'm in the process of getting an authority to either confirm or decline it as a proper meteorite.  I've had two agencies reply so far who are quite confident its the real deal and the most likely candidate is a 'H Chondrite'.

It was found while I was gold detecting and produced a very strong signal on my Minelab 7000.  Depth about 200mm.  No other ironstones or hot-rocks in the area. Very quiet ground.

Fingers crossed!

Anyway, it was gently extracted with my plastic scoop in easy digging soil and came as 5 separate fragments that I managed to make fit together back home once I washed all the soil of them pretty nicely!  Went together like a jigsaw!

Here's some pictures.

Cheers folks.

Jim.

IMG_3106.JPG

GGCC4204.JPG

IMG_E3188.JPG

FWIW8768.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3124.JPG

IMG_3119.JPG

Jim,

I’ve detected my fair share of cold finds and, based on your excellent photos, I’ll stake my reputation as a meteorite hunter that indeed you have yourself a genuine chondrite! Judging by the abundance and distinct outlines of the chondrules, I would venture to guess your stone as being a petrologic type 4. Please consider grinding or filing a window to reveal the interior of one of the fragments; we would like to see some photos. A fantastic find! Search the area carefully, as your stone could be just one of many from the same fall. Congratulations and good luck at finding more!

Awesome Jim, that’s what we like to see!

Nice find Jim, thanks for sharing it.

Now what are you going to do with it is the question.

Maybe place it inside a window box and hang it on your wall.

31 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

Nice find Jim, thanks for sharing it.

Now what are you going to do with it is the question.

Maybe place it inside a window box and hang it on your wall.

Hi Valens,

I am considering getting a professional to cut me a slice to reveal its inner beauty. 
And yes, make some sort of nice frame to display it. 

This is my first meteorite and really a dream come true. I’m told it’s ‘older than the Earth’!

So amazing.

Would you guys cir a slice and do the same?

Suggestions?

42 minutes ago, Jim Miles said:

Would you guys cir a slice and do the same?

I would carefully have a slice cut from it and then maybe donate it to a museum for the tax write-off.

Something like that could be worth a lot of money if you handle it the right way.

47 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

I would carefully have a slice cut from it and then maybe donate it to a museum for the tax write-off.

Something like that could be worth a lot of money if you handle it the right way.

Wow. Ok. I shall look into that.

Thanks again Valens. 👍

22 hours ago, Lunk said:

Awesome Jim, that’s what we like to see!

Wow! Thanks Lunk! 

Just so happens that yesterday a geologist I emailed suggested I do exactly that. 

Good news!! Shiny specks of iron/nickel are indeed clearly visible! (pics to follow)

6C2B0ED3-4B97-47F7-9A89-7AF581057849.jpeg

2DA7574C-150A-41D1-AAB6-F621F815B560.jpeg