Injuries, Operator Errors, And A Little Gold

Mr. caligold. Am I to understand that things like falling down, poking yourself in the ear/eye with brush, having bruised knees and needing an occasional blood transfusion aren't a normal part of prospecting? Am I doing something wrong?

Lucky for me my swollen knee is gone down. now it is just purple like paul's flip flops. knee pads. well I tried a couple different pairs before but the damn things are always slipping down. I did like those gell knee pads. if anybody has  a suggestion of ones that dont slip. Im open to suggestions. As far as playin in the manzanita,  eye pokes, scratches, and injuries go with the territory.  I actually like detecting in the brush patch. there is alot of gold in them thar bushes. I read in my great granpa's diary from gold mining in California that they used to torch vegetation at some places to have better access to the goldfields. Guess that might not be a good idea today. if it was paul might reach the prospector skeleton holding the nugget afterall.  The regular brush patch characteristics is normal but about 10 years ago on a nice june afternoon the brush patch was rattling. up ahead I spotted  a smaller rattlesnake up about 2 feet of the ground in a bush. only second rattlesnake I ever saw off the ground. of coarse the snake was in my goldpatch so I helped him to heaven with a long branch. But im glad my knee is better, im ready to get back in the brush. but now  hear it might rain for  a week. 

cagld;

Glad Your doing ok! I have a mining partner with delicate knees. He bought some jeans that have built in pockets for knee pads and seems to like them. I'll get the brand and source of supply next time I see him.

When you're rained out and bored would you be willing to share a bit of your grand pa's diary with us? My fathers family has a mining past in Butte Co. Ca.

Californiagold, Looks like Hands and Knees detecting through the manzanita. I hope the vine that tripped you up wasn't poison oak.  Last weekend in Auburn, I noticed the shinny leaves of my least favorite plant were coming out.  Heres to quick healing and rains that only come on non detecting days :)

yes the good ol poison oak is leafing out right now. luckily I don't really catch it. I get alittle spot on my arm cuff arm once in awhile. but never any worse. plus on some warm days in past weekends I seen 3-4 lizards out and about so im sure the snakes will be next.

You got any sure fire cures for Tennis/detector elbow ? Dunno how I did it to my left arm this time? Heat seems to help the pain somewhat, am also using a compression thingie I got at Walgreens, 1 band around my upper forearm, another band around my lower bicep , helps a bit.

Doc got some pads and said they were the best ever.  http://forums.nuggethunting.com/index.php?/topic/11798-best-knee-pads-ever/

Not sure what actually you should do for tennis elbow (detector elbow) I. would keep using heat and I wouldnt stop using your arm. just give it a rest from heavy duty. put it on light duty. lol ive had better luck using heat and continue to use it. Isnt there  a nurse here? Maybe they can help. 

Also thanks I will check out Doc's post on knee pads.