** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

1 hour ago, GhostMiner said:

Just an old man talking with two woman. No cause for young men to start shoving him around. 

Very true. But you have to admit when confronted by the loggers even in slight interactions he flared and the fists were put into action. Don't get me wrong GM I like Jacob's character. I think he and I would get along just as I think you and I would get along. 

15 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

I was referring to another comment. No problem.

Guilty as charged I guess! But I do have respect for Jacob ... he is a rough character and seems quick to the fist but aren't many of us? LOL I meant no harm in my observation. And you are probably right Jacob would have at least raised his fist to me if I had been able to say that to his face. He may have even let me have it! So please don't stop with the postings ... I am one of your long time readers and one of your defenders on a now dead forum. Keep with the postings ... PLEASE!

1 hour ago, Mike Furness said:

Guilty as charged I guess! But I do have respect for Jacob ... he is a rough character and seems quick to the fist but aren't many of us? LOL I meant no harm in my observation. And you are probably right Jacob would have at least raised his fist to me if I had been able to say that to his face. He may have even let me have it! So please don't stop with the postings ... I am one of your long time readers and one of your defenders on a now dead forum. Keep with the postings ... PLEASE!

No worries. That's why I started that response with an LOL. Just taking a short break. 

On 4/7/2024 at 8:40 AM, GhostMiner said:

Jacob laughed and said that the low life loggers didn’t like him talking with the two ladies. I for a fact knew that Jacob despised loggers and he may have come over there just to get under their skin. 

That's the way I see it. He knew what he was doing & must have known what the result would be. I reckon you guys got off lightly.

Makes for a good story though.

D4G

2 hours ago, dig4gold said:

That's the way I see it. He knew what he was doing & must have known what the result would be. I reckon you guys got off lightly.

Makes for a good story though.

D4G

Obviously Jacob didn't let fear control his life.

8 hours ago, Bedrocker said:

Obviously Jacob didn't let fear control his life.

No, but there were other peoples lives involved in this last incident. It didn't need to happen.

D4G 

Journal will resume tomorrow. Thanks to all readers. 

September 18   2002

We got back to mining this morning. Conor and I got the tom set up while Jacob and Clay started digging and hauling pay gravel. The weather is sunny and warm and things are beginning to dry out. The creek is still running fast but the water is back within its banks. 

I test paned the first load of gravel before we started processing and the gold is there in spades. We let Clay bring down three loads before we started running at 10:00 AM so as to give a cushion for the transport of material and we won’t run out or have to wait on him. 

One of the Forest Service people came by this morning as well and checked on us. I showed him the repaired road and he also took a walk down along the creek to check the waters and floodplain. He seemed pretty impressed that we had already repaired the haul road and were ready to mine so quickly. He said there was a mining operation along the creek about ten miles west of ours and they had lost their small trommel in the flood. 

We had a good day and were able to process 70 yards of gravel. We are going to run until around noon tomorrow and do a cleanup. Jacob has gotten deeper into the dig site with still no sign of bedrock. The gold seems to keep getting better.  

TO BE CONTINUED ..................

September 19   2002     The Gold Vault

It was a beautiful morning. The sky was clear and the temperatures were warm. We ran the tom until noon and shut down for lunch after having run 30 yards of gravel. That put us at 100 yards which is what we like to run now before doing the cleanup.

I could see visible gold in the black sands and there was a load of it. More than we had ever seen. Jacob told us he had finally hit one area of sloping bedrock as he worked the pit north. Then he backed the excavator back away from the sloping wall and got another five feet deeper and hit bedrock again. He was around 30 - 33 feet in depth. He said the wall looked to be traveling across the back of the pit to the west and he would start following it tomorrow and see how far it went. He had a good feeling about the dig site and so did the rest of us. 

Conor and I finished up the gold weigh while Jacob and Clay dug and hauled pay. We finished the cleanup around 6:00 PM and set the pan on the table near the scales. There was a lot of gold in that pan but we waited until Jacob and Clay finished up for the night around 6:30. Clay’s eyes glazed over when he saw the pan. Jacob gave me a smile and a wink and said to weigh it up. There were 77.4 ounces. Conor suggested we name the pit and I came up with a name that everyone liked. The Gold Vault. 

TO BE CONTINUED .................

7 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

September 19   2002     The Gold Vault

It was a beautiful morning. The sky was clear and the temperatures were warm. We ran the tom until noon and shut down for lunch after having run 30 yards of gravel. That put us at 100 yards which is what we like to run now before doing the cleanup.

I could see visible gold in the black sands and there was a load of it. More than we had ever seen. Jacob told us he had finally hit one area of sloping bedrock as he worked the pit north. Then he backed the excavator back away from the sloping wall and got another five feet deeper and hit bedrock again. He was around 30 - 33 feet in depth. He said the wall looked to be traveling across the back of the pit to the west and he would start following it tomorrow and see how far it went. He had a good feeling about the dig site and so did the rest of us. 

Conor and I finished up the gold weigh while Jacob and Clay dug and hauled pay. We finished the cleanup around 6:00 PM and set the pan on the table near the scales. There was a lot of gold in that pan but we waited until Jacob and Clay finished up for the night around 6:30. Clay’s eyes glazed over when he saw the pan. Jacob gave me a smile and a wink and said to weigh it up. There were 77.4 ounces. Conor suggested we name the pit and I came up with a name that everyone liked. The Gold Vault. 

TO BE CONTINUED .................

Around 24 grams to the yard. Not bad.