XP Deus 2 And Equinox 800 11" Coils On Buried Dime In Arizona Mineralized Dirt

Trying with Equinox ... to detect in targets in black ceramics or on coke ... on Programs Type2 / Park2, Pole2, Gold 1, Gold2 / is a basic mistake .... these programs are not designed for that ...

Equinox programs that work well with the elimination of Coke and black ceramics  /conductive terain/are Type 1 programs / Park1, Field1, and Beach1 and programs Beach 2 .... / but Beach2 is the weakest program in terms of ...

the differences between the Equinox Type 1 and Type 2 programs are significant......, more than a normal detector operator can think ...

Thanks for the vid, Andy.  Seems like an objective comparison to me.  I do have a question.  When switching the Eqx from Park 1 (where you stated, if I remember correctly, Recovery Speed = 4 and Iron Bias F2 = 0), did you use those same settings for Park 2, Field 1, Field 2?

4 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Thanks for the vid, Andy.  Seems like an objective comparison to me.  I do have a question.  When switching the Eqx from Park 1 (where you stated, if I remember correctly, Recovery Speed = 4 and Iron Bias F2 = 0), did you use those same settings for Park 2, Field 1, Field 2?

Yes I had them all set up f2 0 recovery 4. The number of tones varied in the programs though some were 5 tones some were 50 tones. I did mess around with some of the settings on the Deus 2 after I filmed the video and I will say XP did a pretty good job on the stock programs. I do think some things can be changed to get more out of it but it's going to take some thought and experimenting due to the different KHz weighted ratios on each of those programs.

If you were coin hunting in that dirt you could benefit by using the notch feature and probably get rid of the hot rocks. It does make for choppy audio just as the video showed on the pottery.

I agree, Deep HC and Gold Field seemed to have the best responses on those clad dimes.

Andy has owned a Deus 1 since 2016 and has made several videos for XP Team America so he is not a Deus newbie. The testing was specifically aimed at giving anyone that was interested, some idea about how Deus 2 might do in actual moderate to highly iron mineralized Western USA dirt. Notice I said some idea. No where in Andy's intro or subsequent comments is there any statement that says these are definitive tests or that they prove anything conclusive. They just are preliminary testing of Deus 2 programs 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5, 6 and 8 using their default settings in some fairly bad dirt on two recently buried clad dimes.

Here are the pertinent default settings for those programs as shown in the latest online manual.

1 General = disc 7, silencer 1, sensitivity 95, reactivity 2.5, audio response 5, ground stability 2, max frequency 40 kHz

2 Sensitive = disc 6.8, silencer 1, sensitivity 90, reactivity 2.5, audio response 4,  ground stability 2, max frequency 40 kHz

3 Sens FT = disc -6.4, silencer 1, sensitivity 90, reactivity 3, audio response 4, ground stability 2, max frequency 40 kHz

4 Fast = disc 6.8, silencer 1, sensitivity 90, reactivity 3, audio response 4, ground stability 2, max frequency 40 kHz

5 Park = disc 7, silencer 3, sensitivity 90, reactivity 2.5, audio response 4, ground stability 3, max frequency 24 kHz

6 Deep HC = disc 7, silencer 2, sensitivity 93, reactivity 2, audio response 5, ground stability 2, max frequency 14 kHz

8 Gold Field = disc (none), silencer (none), sensitivity 95, reactivity 2, audio response 3, ground stability (none), max frequency 40 kHz. Gold Field is a hybrid threshold based all metal mode so the entire target ID range -6.4 to 99 is accepted.   

Deep HC performed the best. I would add that Gold Field did very well also as I would have expected. The one about Deep HC maybe having a lower factory default discrimination setting......it doesn't. Sens FT should have performed much better considering it does use a factory preset of -6.4 for disc. To my ears and eyes it struggled the most on both targets...............

This video was not about which detector is the best in the world. It wasn't about how one detector performed better than another. Andy made no claims about being an expert using Deus 2. He kept it as simple as possible after a long drive and a long day of detecting. 

It was about how seven of the stock, default programs would perform in fairly bad dirt.

Andy could have left the Equinox completely out of this video and just used the Deus 2 footage.

How much better would a Deus 2 do, and how much better could a few tweaks improve its performance? Half an inch, just enough to clearly beat the Equinox......WHAT?  Obviously, at least obviously to anyone who detects in similar dirt out here, both Deus 2 and Equinox 800 using 11" coils struggled to hit the 7" dime in these soil conditions especially on freshly dug holes. 8" is pretty much the maximum depth of detection no matter what settings you tweak in disturbed soil conditions out here on a dime sized target. That is reality out here.

By the way, the dirt in this testing video is mild in comparison to most of the places Andy and I detect.

Thankfully, XP's FMF technology has really improved depth, target ID and available audio options on Deus 2 so that it can work really well out here in iron mineralized ground.

That is the good news that Andy was trying to bring to those of us that detect out here and LOVE Deus detectors.

Once again Andy, thank you for driving around 1,100 miles round trip to get these videos done at your expense. They show clearly what even moderate iron mineralization can do to two excellent detectors on 6 to 7" clad dimes, just as your nugget videos show similar results.

Wow Jeff. Thanks for the kind words and everyone else that has done so in the past.

You evaluated that video more than I ever thought possible.

I know you made a comment that you might cancel your Deus 2 order but I hope that's not the case. I'd really like to share notes with you about your experiences with it if you do get one. Nice to have someone who has the same dirt issues and be able to toss ideas back and forth.

Every video or opinion is another piece in the puzzle, I wonder what the end game of those that are trying to shoot down videos like this and the gold nugget one is, would they prefer a whole bunch of people buy the detector wrongly advised by purely positive feedback and then put up their unhappy feedback too when they find out they're not happy with it as it's not what they were expecting?   A couple of people showing what they're experiencing while still remaining positive towards the detector but just giving some feedback on how it works in their conditions is beneficial for everyone, people then know what to expect if they're in a similar situation so they won't be negative if they buy one and that's how it is for them too.  I just don't get why its a problem.

I now know not to buy one expecting it to be competitive with the dedicated gold prospecting VLF's or the Nox on tiny gold, had I been deceived into buying it thinking it'll better what I've already got I sure wouldn't be quiet about it.  I can now choose if I want buy one with that knowledge in mind and if I do buy one I won't be upset it's not competitive on tiny gold nuggets.

Thank you for the video tests Andy, this is the kind of dirt that I've been waiting to see some tests done on, as it's more close to some of the nasty stuff we have to deal with in California and Nevada.   From this test, I see no compelling reasons to dump my EQX800 and buy a D2. 

One question for you - Were the dimes clad or silver?  I know it probably doesn't make much difference, but the EQX800 sure loves deep silver 🙂

47 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Thank you for the video tests Andy, this is the kind of dirt that I've been waiting to see some tests done on, as it's more close to some of the nasty stuff we have to deal with in California and Nevada.   From this test, I see no compelling reasons to dump my EQX800 and buy a D2. 

One question for you - Were the dimes clad or silver?  I know it probably doesn't make much difference, but the EQX800 sure loves deep silver 🙂

Thanks! The dimes were clad.