The Beauty Of The Deus Has Always Been...no Wires (even If You Need The Antenna Wire)...

barryny

Looks great Barry! I seen a few in the Uk did the same, my question.. will it affect the warranty?

One reason I was considering making another shaft for it. I hate anything that may snag in the seaweed or get hooked on something. I'm still on hold till late summer so plenty of time to watch others and learn.

I like garage mods, particularly when they look professional, as this.  But a couple concerns:

1) How much stress on the cable occurs when the coil is rotated such that the toe of the coil touches the shaft?

2) I would use a rat tail file to both remove the sharp edge and elongate (make elliptical) that hole in the first picture to reduce stress concentration at the contact zone between housing and cable.

Hope it works for you (and other water detectorists).

10 hours ago, Sandheron said:

Nice, I would put a rubber grommet in the hole as well. 

I may just put a dab of hot glue on the hole...and lock the cable in place...i'll see after I get it out there...

Suffering right now with a degenerated disc - pain/numbness down my left leg.

On steroids should get some relief soon...

I tricked it out with electrical tape - they should have used a black cable.

0215221318.jpg

The CTX 3030 ran it's coil cable up into the shaft in a similar way, and it became a wear point for the coil cable with quite a number of coils failing from the cables at the entry point down near the bottom of the shaft causing wear to the cables insulation and even broken wires inside the cable at that point.  As a workaround people were putting tape around the bottom of the coil cable to give it a bit of extra protection.  This mod may cause the same sort of wear over time to the antenna cable, so perhaps something might be required to toughen up the cable in that spot. 

8 hours ago, matt said:

That's perfect. I get mine later this week and will do the same thing since mine will be an underwater detector. Any tips you can provide? Did the end caps come off easily? What size hole did you drill? Thanks in advance!

Hey Matt.  I didn't cut the cable - I looped it up the lower shaft, then down then up again to get rid of the slack.  Then I pulled it up thru the upper shaft.  That top connector piece comes off with 2 tiny screws one on each side.  I clamped it down and drilled starting with a very small bit and worked my way up to 1/4". 

The only "tricky" part is feeding that straight plastic end piece thru the hole because there's very little angle to work with.  I carefully curved the plastic end piece (bananaish) then attached some scotch tape to make a lead.  I was able to pull the tape thru the hole and get the plastic piece to just barely protrude.  I took needle nose pliers and while pushing the cable up I carefully was able to work it thru the hole.

There is no integrity failure to that piece to worry about...

7 hours ago, strick said:

Did you cut the wire? and if not how do you keep it from bunching up when telescoping the shafts ?

strick 

It still moves inside the shafts when you lengthen/shorten.  Do it carefully.  Personally - I leave mine at my preferred length all the time...

6 hours ago, NCtoad said:

I was wondering the same thing.  Also does doing this affect the warranty?

Why on earth would there be warranty issues?  The connector piece - it's a replaceable piece of plastic that you can buy...