Dilek Addressing Iffy Signal’s Legend Vs. Equinox Video

I see this as somewhat of a tightrope situation for NM. While I personally prefer the ability to adjust a machine to my liking, I can't help but recalling the many complaints people had with the V3i from Whites. By far the biggest complaint was its complexity. Everything was adjustable on the V3i and lots of users dialed themselves into performance that was worse than that of the stock programs.

I think NM is trying to provide optimum performance while avoiding (to the extent possible) the pratfall of an overly complex machine. The Legend's target audience is wide - encompassing potential users that range from zero experience to users with decades of experience. That broad range makes matters a bit difficult when it comes to adjustments available and any performance gains or losses.

My own opinion is that NM will thread the needle and Legend users will enjoy a powerful machine that performs very well. I base that opinion on NM's history of providing machines that are very competitive performance-wise and pricewise. 

• Like 4

I'm starting to understand why MD companies don't respond to customers.  Anything you say will get interpreted multiple ways, with some people reading what they want to into what is said.  ("She wouldn't have said that if xyz wasn't the case and she's afraid to say that...")

I don't know if this Whac-a-Mole response is going to work.  I haven't seen much from either XP or Minelab from all the misuse of their settings, etc. in recent comparison videos.  Maybe just let things take their course and sort themselves out.  But of course she should do what she thinks is the best course-of-action.  She's in the driver's seat.  (I think I'll stop now before I bury myself in cliche's.  😁)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

It is a pain/gain dance. I think they will cut through the noise and pick out the useful insights.

• Like 2

In my opinion this is actually a easy fix for them. All they have to do is add one program that you can run without an iron setting on. Boom done!! Or even make that one program with an adjustable settings. That keeps experienced users happy and new users can still use the normal programs and be safe lol.

• Like 1

Well, I hope they add the iron bias adjustment when they've got the feature ready at some point, clearly nobody wants to delay the release even further for that feature but if they accept they'll need to add it in the near future that's good enough. If they're so worried about people using it incorrectly they can explain that in the manual, warn users using it incorrectly can be detrimental but they could also put that same warning on every setting.

To me it's important I can make my iron bias as low as possible for prospecting for tiny gold.  Others have their own reasons for wanting adjustments for it and that Iffy video was a demonstration of why it'd be beneficial, their optimal setting isn't the optimal setting for every task and by not having it adjustable they're limiting the usefulness of the detector for some situations by making it "easy to use"

I think the response from their customers or potential customers underneath that video on Facebook clearly demonstrates the desire for that functionality from many of the comments.

If it was so simple to implement it'd be there, why cause unnecessary controversy over a simple adjustment.

• Like 3

I assume each mode has specific filtering. A more detailed description of each mode’s optimized features & design intents would be helpful, even if not adjustable. An Advanced Users Guide would be most welcome. Iffy’s video showed the effect of the fat signal ferrous gives overpowering the narrow coin signal. It’s a real world problem called masking. It will take some experimenting to learn how to best combat it with the Legend, same as any detector. I have no doubt it can be made to perform better. There is no out of the box magic, nor substitute for learning& knowing a machine. The basics of target interrogation, signal balance and tuning to the site conditions still apply, more so with a high performance detector. Some of the first testing l intend to do will be with Lower gain levels & 60 tones. Reactivity/Recovery speed can only do so much, the audio has to covey the intelligence to the user. Then you can work a site. Give me a audio clue that something is there worth a look. The clean signals are rare gimmes.

• Like 1

She does make a few good points. Most of us forum rats understand the setting up for the sites to be hunted like the iron bias adjustments among other things. I know a lot of detectorist that run mostly in stock programs with even the higher end detectors. Truth is, if most did start messing with the settings, they could make it worse and not understand why.

Rutus did something cool with their new Atrex detector,  It has a choice of Basic or Advanced firmware, so you can grow into your detector, start on the basic firmware if you're a beginner and change over to the Advanced firmware when you're ready for it. 

Taking controls away from advanced users is never going to end well, they wanted the Legend to compete with other detectors that have these features, limiting advanced features because you wanted to keep your detector easy to use or whatever excuse you've got isn't a way to do that, it's not even that complicated of a setting.  I really don't believe that's the reason it doesn't have it.   If they want the easy to use detector for beginners they need to rehash the Simplex as a Simplex SMF with automatic settings more suited to beginners.  The Legend is their high end machine, it doesn't need settings like that controlled as they think the users aren't capable of setting it right, there is always default settings to take care of that, most people only adjust it if they need to.

• Like 6

That is the smartest thing I have ever heard 😄 Finally someone has figured out one size does not fit all. Or just hide the advanced menus. If you figure out how to access them then you are ready for them 😊

• Like 1

I guess in a way you get used to what you don't have so Legend users that switch from the Nox over time won't even notice they don't have the iron bias functionality, you never know what you've missed in the ground anyway.  New to Multi frequency users won't even know what the iron bias is or does so it makes no difference to them.   

My first car was a manual gearbox, I wanted it that way as I wanted to learn how to drive a manual.  In Australia they have two different drivers licenses, one for people who want to drive manuals and as a bonus they get a license for both anyway, and one for auto's only.  The perks to the manuals are obvious when you're a young chap wanting to get the most out of your car, as you age and mellow an auto becomes good enough and you tend to prefer autos for ease of use 😉  I've had an auto for a while now, I'd probably still prefer a manual but I'm used to it so don't care.

What Dilek is alluding to is their iron bias setting the Legend is locked into is the one they feel is best overall, the one that could be described as the default setting on the Nox, and for most people in most situations that is all they'll need.  In most cases it will help people find the most targets with minimal difficulties, the Automatic car.  

Some more advanced people may find benefits to having more control, the manual car and for those people at the moment the Legend might not be the right fit for due to this limitation.  What it comes down to is how big of the market are the manual car people they're not providing for?

One thing to note is iron bias only works on the Nox in multi frequency modes, perhaps the Legends multi frequency implementation doesn't have a way to benefit from the iron bias setting like the Nox does, could that be why there is the resistance to adding the feature?

We are now seeing fully automatic cars that even drive for you, if detectors get to that point I want one that digs for me as that's the part of detecting I enjoy the least 🙂 It better back fill the holes too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2