Siv In The Pock!

Internet research indicates that:  "Diggers", a pseudo reality show aired on National Geographic, features two losers roaming the countryside and people's yards with their metal detectors" 

" Hobbyist metal detectorists "King George" Wyant and his buddy Tim "The Ringmaster" Saylor travel the country looking for lost relics of history" 

Why did Diggers get canceled?  The show's hosts, hobby metal detectorists “King George” Wyant and Tim “Ringy” Saylor, cross the U.S. searching for discarded metal items of historical relevance. As soon as the show premiered, archaeologists raised concerns that Diggers was creating a culture of looting and asked NGC to cancel the program!

I personally thought that they might be a bit goofy on occasion, but I still found their antics amusing and hated that they got cancelled! So, when I find a nice silver coin, in honor of King George and Ringy, I have been known to yell out, SIV IN THE POCK!

FOUND COINS: I recently got to visit with an older gentlemen I hadn't seen in many years. Over lunch, I asked him if he knew of any old houses that I might detect for coins. He told me the following story: A few days ago, while walking along a freshly graded gravel road, he had found an 1880's silver dollar buried vertically on edge, barely visible. After lunch, he showed me the spot in the road where he had found the silver dollar which was slightly downhill from an old collapsed/eroded adobe house that had been abandoned in the 1940's. He said that when he had been in elementary school, (1950), long after the man who lived in the house had died, the man's family boarded up the door and windows, then returned to Mexico and never came back. A few years later, the roof and door frame of the house, partially collapsed after a heavy rain, and my friend decided to see what was in the house. He was astonished to find shelving that had been cut into the interior sides of the adobe bricks, where several coffee cans filled with coins were stored. The cans had rusted out, the shelves eroded away, and coins had spilled out onto the muddy floor. He quickly filled his pockets with coins and ran off to spend his new found wealth.  My friend said he planned to return for more later, but the rain had caused another collapse and he couldn't get inside where the coins were.

Quarters: 1909 1914 x 2    V Nickle: 1911  Wheaties 1917, 1919-D 1928-S 1929  Canadian 1 Cent: 1929

Excavation Continuing.

1078072815_ADOBECOINS-1.PNG.e95e17862794bb9157ee96fcfdf9abbe.png

317807254_adobecoins.PNG..png

910737349_ADOBECOINS-REVERSE.JPG

Great saves and interesting back story.

I hope that you can find many more coins and maybe something more.

Good luck and take your time.

Interesting spot. Beautiful coins. It's been a while since I've found a Barber Quarter.

I have to side with NGC canceling Diggers. Glad they did it. They should have canceled it before it aired.

11 hours ago, BMc said:

Why did Diggers get canceled?

Wikipedia usually knows...

Television shows are driven by popularity (which correlates to advertising dollars).  Remember back when a new network season would start and a new series got canceled after just a few episodes?  My guess is that in the case of Diggers, there were more Badger-NH's in the crowd than BMc's.  They did last four seasons, though.

I see roundness!  😁

On 3/3/2022 at 10:45 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Wikipedia usually knows...

Television shows are driven by popularity (which correlates to advertising dollars).  Remember back when a new network season would start and a new series got canceled after just a few episodes?  My guess is that in the case of Diggers, there were more Badger-NH's in the crowd than BMc's.  They did last four seasons, though.

I see roundness!  😁

Yeah, they did last four seasons. The Archeological community was equating them with grave robber, pot hunter, thief of time types that were destroying history by having the audacity to excavate outside accepted archeological procedures; IMO, the network overreacted to the perceived sensitivity of the issue. That got them cancelled even though they had been detecting on private property, having property owner permission. 

10 hours ago, BMc said:

The Archeological community was equating them with grave robber, pot hunter, thief of time types that were destroying history by having the audacity to excavate outside accepted archeological procedures; 

Not only that but much of the general public equated the actors to be a couple of idiot morons. When asking for permission to detect a property, this was the impression landowners had of us. It made the hobby look bad. Many detectorists including myself sent emails to NGS demanding that the show be removed. It was a very heavy topic on the forums.

In contrast "detectorists" was very well done.  Andy and Lance are likable guys. They portrayed the hobby in a good way. I loved that show.

11 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

The story with the old man is a gem in how I found a spot tales . 

Nice finds . Hope you find many more🍀

Maybe he hid some of his better ones ? 🤔  

Thanks Rv. I actually went back a couple of times and pulled out a few more coins; old Mexican silver, and a 1893 Commemorative coin which I will post when I figure out what I did with the photographs. Lol!

Here'

11 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

The story with the old man is a gem in how I found a spot tales . 

Nice finds . Hope you find many more🍀

Maybe he hid some of his better ones ? 🤔  

Here's the other coins I found at the site. I suspect more finds will turn up, If I can keep going back. The Chris Columbus 1/2 dollar coin was a surprise. The resident had been a Mexican citizen so I kind of expected to find Mexican coins. Being silver was a bonus.

CHRIS C - 1.PNG

CHRIS C - 2.PNG

MEXICAN SILVER.PNG