Disappointed But Undaunted (deus 2)

Got a full day in on the Deus 2 in two places, river shore and landing. Chase and I have hunted this place pretty thoroughly, like my first time out I didn't expect to find much.

What I was hoping for was one of those "deep silvers" I'm always hearing about, but silver being such a high conductor, I can't imagine missing much with this machine.

It's a great place to detect although there is a lot of poison ivy. Ticks are coming out now too, plucked 2 tiny ones so far.20220401_094913.thumb.jpg.4743e1e8d222a15d3d01ecb14b24715c.jpg

There was supposed to be a lower tide today but it didn't happen. Wind kept the water in the river.20220401_085715.thumb.jpg.6680f36a07c7e344024b161454f397c9.jpg

I hunted along the shore first, only got a couple of copper screws. No more toasted coins. ๐Ÿ˜ต Used Beach Sensitive, I found when I got to the sand I kept getting 24/26, switching out of DeepHC got rid of the false signal. The water here is brackish, part sea water.

Went through the landing area where my golf cart was, nothing but trash. As a matter of fact I've never dug this much trash with my past two detectors in one day.20220401_164249.thumb.jpg.668dd1e14ebf21ad38ad956a83d73923.jpg

I was using Deep HC, and General for a while. Gotta get used to the sounds the detector makes in big iron. It falsed big time. I did get another Model T hubcap, my avatar. ๐Ÿ˜€

Only dug 3 good things today:20220401_190708.thumb.jpg.9d056b846baf4147aed79506b3acf484.jpg

An interesting old button, a faucet handle, and most of some sort of fancy but broken brass plate. The button is very different:20220401_190755.thumb.jpg.ecf960801880c43782f8b59c52adc73f.jpg20220401_190723.thumb.jpg.10d84139f7fcc99463a2ea07c4cc83bb.jpg

never seen one like it.

Some observations:

Deep HC eats coil battery fast. Almost didn't make a full 8 hour hunt. There was 1 bar left. The remote and headphones were fine.

Used my new MI6 pinpointer today, I could only get sensitivity to 45. It works good with the Deus but in my estimation it's no Garrett. The real star of the day was my Quest Xpointer Max, I would have dug a lot more iron without it. It's quirky but serves its role in the hole. ๐Ÿ˜

I really like the WS6 backphones, they fit well, are loud enough, give me plenty of situational awareness, and I like how the detector turns them on and off along with the MI6. In the future I plan to use an APTX-LL transceiver and any headphones I want. ๐Ÿ™‚ย When I bought the Deus I also got the bone phones because he only had two left.

I really like the Deus. I do think I would have done better with my Equinox, but this seems par for the course learning a new machine. I was surprised not to dig any aluminum save for one pull tab.

• The title was changed to Disappointed But Undaunted (deus 2)

Always takes time to learn a new machine. Try to keep it simple and 3-4 tones might help.

6 minutes ago, kac said:

Always takes time to learn a new machine. Try to keep it simple and 3-4 tones might help.

I started out at 2 tones in DeepHC, changed to 5 after a bit. I use park 1 5 tones on the Equinox. It's all about tones on this thing, if it's scratchy instead of pure, it's iron. I didn't want to miss anything so I dug a lot more than usual, used the Quest pinpointer a lot when the hole got deep. Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

55 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Got a full day in on the Deus 2 in two places, river shore and landing. Chase and I have hunted this place pretty thoroughly, like my first time out I didn't expect to find much.

What I was hoping for was one of those "deep silvers" I'm always hearing about, but silver being such a high conductor, I can't imagine missing much with this machine.

It's a great place to detect although there is a lot of poison ivy.20220401_094913.thumb.jpg.4743e1e8d222a15d3d01ecb14b24715c.jpg

There was supposed to be a lower tide today but it didn't happen. Wind kept the water in the river.20220401_085715.thumb.jpg.6680f36a07c7e344024b161454f397c9.jpg

I hunted along the shore first, only got a couple of copper screws. No more toasted coins. ๐Ÿ˜ต Used Beach Sensitive, I found when I got to the sand I kept getting 24/26, switching out of DeepHC got rid of the false signal.

Went through the landing area where my golf cart was, nothing but trash. As a matter of fact I've never dug this much trash with my past two detectors in one day.20220401_164249.thumb.jpg.668dd1e14ebf21ad38ad956a83d73923.jpg

I was using Deep HC, and General for a while. Gotta get used to the sounds the detector makes in big iron. It falsed big time. I did get another Model T hubcap, my avatar. ๐Ÿ˜€

Only dug 3 good things today:20220401_190708.thumb.jpg.9d056b846baf4147aed79506b3acf484.jpg

An interesting old button, a faucet handle, and most of some sort of fancy but broken brass plate. The button is very different:20220401_190755.thumb.jpg.ecf960801880c43782f8b59c52adc73f.jpg20220401_190723.thumb.jpg.10d84139f7fcc99463a2ea07c4cc83bb.jpg

never seen one like it.

Some observations:

Deep HC eats coil battery fast. Almost didn't make a full 8 hour hunt. There was 1 bar left. The remote and headphones were fine.

Used my new MI6 pinpointer today, I could only get sensitivity to 45. It works good with the Deus but in my estimation it's no Garrett. The real star of the day was my Quest X pointer Max, I would have dug a lot more iron without it. It's quirky but serves it's role in the hole. ๐Ÿ˜

I really like the WS6 backphones, they fit well, are loud enough, give me plenty of situational awareness, and I like how the detector turns them on and off with the MI6. In the future I plan to use an APTX-LL transceiver and any headphones I want. ๐Ÿ™‚

I really like the Deus. I do think I would have done better with my Equinox, but this seems par for the course learning a new machine. I was surprised not to dig any aluminum save for one pull tab.

ย Hey F350Platinum,ย 

ย  ย  ย  ย  Grew up a Chevrolet guy, 3rd gen Fords till now are best looking trucks on the road though and converted me! Pretty nice looking area your in or atleast the lack of houses piled on top one another is comfortable to me! Which find is model t hubcap? Have you by chance watched tnsharpshooters video on signs to look for to identify iron falsing!?

13 minutes ago, Commonwealthdetector said:

ย Hey F350Platinum,ย 

ย  ย  ย  ย  Grew up a Chevrolet guy, 3rd gen Fords till now are best looking trucks on the road though and converted me! Pretty nice looking area your in or atleast the lack of houses piled on top one another is comfortable to me! Which find is model t hubcap? Have you by chance watched tnsharpshooters video on signs to look for to identify iron falsing!?

Hey CD,

As a kid I lived in a neighborhood where if you fell out your window you feel into your neighbor's. ๐Ÿ˜€ Now my driveway alone is a half mile long. Runs thorough farm fields that have colonial and 1850s + era relics. This Steamboat landing is right next door, but there are no otherย  doors. ๐Ÿ˜ Lucked out when we bought the house.

I did indeed watch TN's video about tone nuance. Probably helped me go by some of the iron, but the really big stuff gave pure tones. I'll get the hang of it, will probably set up some other interrogatory programs.

Zoom the photo, there's an octagonal silver object to the left of the big iron. It says "Ford made in USA". This is the third or fourth one I dug around here, there is an old model T rusting away on a hill nearby, just the lower frame. I've also dug quite a few Schrader valve covers for model T's here. Maybe they brought them in on the steamboat.

Love that F350 Platinum. Still breaking it in at 126,000 miles. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I think you did good, especially running a new machine. Your trash has some pretty good targets for me.ย  Organ reeds, lead sinkers & shotshell heads are neat and could just as easily have been a mid conductor coin. The jar lids & big iron need out of there too, could be hiding a keeper. Your ornate button may be the head of a lady's stick pin. I looks to be a feminine design and the back has a solder mark.

Thanks for your consistently good posts.

3 minutes ago, JCR said:

I think you did good, especially running a new machine. Your trash has some pretty good targets for me.ย  Organ reeds, lead sinkers & shotshell heads are neat and could just as easily have been a mid conductor coin. The jar lids & big iron need out of there too, could be hiding a keeper. Your ornate button may be the head of a lady's stick pin. I looks to be a feminine design and the back has a solder mark.

Thanks for your consistently good posts.

Thanks! I often wonder if I cross the line to banality, been sorta documenting my entire detecting story here. So far people seem to like what I post, and I hope some learn from it. I've gone from noob to novice I think ๐Ÿ˜ sometimes I polish poop, but not always. ๐Ÿ˜€

I've dug so many of those organ reeds you'd think I could call them out by now. ๐Ÿคฃ

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks! I often wonder if I cross the line to banality, been sorta documenting my entire detecting story here. So far people seem to like what I post, and I hope some learn from it. I've gone from noob to novice I think ๐Ÿ˜ sometimes I polish poop, but not always. ๐Ÿ˜€

I've dug so many of those organ reeds you'd think I could call them out by now. ๐Ÿคฃ

F350Platinum,

ย  ย  I think those reeds come from a concertina. I used to think they were accordion reeds but found out theyโ€™re from a smaller hand organ or concertina.ย 
Cool finds and nice review. I hunt a lot of old schools and churches so I have quite a collection of them myself. lol ย HH! Tomย 

5C6C95C9-AB12-40C8-9ADD-6EA1D218842E.png

Great read and nice hunting on your new machine, but don't forget about your Nox. That will come back to bite you when you do finally pick it up again.

Good luck on your next outing.

7 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

When you will get used to the D2 and you will know more its audio and you will dig less iron targets .ย  If you have never used a D1 it will take some time , probably a few months but this is a normal learning course.ย 

btw have you tried SENSITIVE ?ย  For me it is the best mode in the iron trash , it is very fast and it has an excellent iron disc ..