Have You Ever Gone Looking For Gold And Found Silver? And My New Toy.

Today I picked up my new GPX 6000, well in a way I had it delivered, my dealer was coming down to Queenstown from Christchurch about 7 or so hours away as he's going looking for some gold this weekend so he brought it down with him to give to me so it was great not having to get it shipped, he's an awesome guy, always beyond helpful.  As I was in the area of a gold prospecting spot I fired up my GPZ and went on a gold hunt, I've done this area a lot and seeing JW lives right near it he's been there a zillion times so I didn't have much hope for myself but it's hard to resist when I'm right there anyway.

IMG_20220505_195947.jpg.7935e8e074d293ef16c9ee4ae91dc864.jpg

The new toy, I'll probably take it out this weekend to the spot I just found the 4 grammer with the GPZ last week, although I really want to hit the spot I found the 4 gram nugget with a bigger coil to get more depth, I found it using my 8" so I want to run the 15" Concentric coil over it just in case there is anymore big ones lurking nearby that are even deeper than the 8" can reach.  I might take both detectors, it's good to have a backup with the GPX anyway with the reliability issues it seems to have, especially for it's maiden voyage.

JW's GPX 6000 coil is still at the service agent waiting to be replaced, I doubt he'll have it back by the weekend.

The spot I wanted to detect had people around and I don't like detecting near people so I wandered far further away which isn't ideal with my sore foot but I'd rather walk than detect near people. 

I was following the path and saw some good looking bedrock that I've never detected before so I fired up my detector and started detecting, and right at the path I found a target, it was almost certain to be junk but seeing I'd only just started detecting I wasn't yet too lazy to dig it 🙂 Fortunately it was worth my time digging it, I found a silver ring.

IMG_20220505_121652.thumb.jpg.f55f5d60203fcd8b93e1dee1398be103.jpg

You'll see the walking track, it's right at it.  A hiker or person riding a bike must have lost it I guess.  I did have to dig for it, it wasn't a surface find but it was shallow as there was bedrock almost straight away.

IMG_20220505_121701.thumb.jpg.62b0da49a038fcb7e14c05ee5103f228.jpg

You'll see the white looking bits where my pick hit the bedrock, it's lucky I didn't damage the ring.

IMG_20220505_121726.thumb.jpg.cc73f169e0ddde532ae70e4f3b760456.jpg

Because it says stolen on it I was able to google it pretty easy, it's a local designer ring from a NZ brand called Stolen Girlfriends Club.

1491797960_stolenring.thumb.jpg.0d3a5efe044522f98f9a2b8706717c9a.jpg

Unfortunately no gold, I kinda went to the spot already defeated though, I didn't expect to find any but at least it wasn't a skunk.

It has been frustrating waiting for you, but I knew the kid in ya had to break out. Good on ya, shame it didn`t score straight up the Placebo Effect usually is the go at first. Have fun and enjoy, tis a magic machine.

Just now, Norvic said:

It has been frustrating waiting for you, but I knew the kid in ya had to break out. Good on ya, shame it didn`t score straight up the Placebo Effect usually is the go at first. Have fun and enjoy, tis a magic machine.

I didn't use it today, it was the GPZ with 8" that found the ring although even my Go-Find 40 would have found the ring with ease.

yea, you knew I'd give in and get one, you said it from day 1  🙂 

Still a good hunt Simon, any day a swinging is a good day.

Good luck on your next outing.

Nice ring Simon...I wouldn’t bother looking for the owner of this one 

strick

Sorry the experience of getting a new 6000 ended so badly for you Simon 😔 Hopefully the next one brings good things for you!

• 2 weeks later...

I was out detecting around some old workings one day looking for gold, lots of test pits everywhere.

I swung the detector as I walked along a bit of road that connected two old workings, and I got a screamer of a signal.

It was a 1920's Mercury dime! Totally shocked me as it's rare I ever find a coin while looking for gold.

Enjoyed your write-up Simon, and all the best,

Lanny