First Ghost Town Hunt With The Deus II

Last weekend I had an opportunity to go on a club outing to an old mining ghost town site on private land. We had a hunt last spring at a different ghost town, which was my first, and this would be my second. I took the Deus II to test out and the Equinox, which performed well at my first ghost town hunt, as a backup. I had high hopes of doing a little better in the iron and nail infested ground since the Deus detectors are supposed to excel in iron. I used the Relic program mainly and did some checking with the Park and General programs and ran with Notch at 00-00, IAR at 2, Reactivity at 1-2, Iron Volume at 3, and Sensitivity at 96. I was prepared for the audio onslaught of the rapid fire iron and falsing tones, but was amazed at the stability of the Deus. The ground was bone dry from the long drought and iron tones were plentiful but managable and non ferrous tones rang out loud and clear.

GT-2a.JPEG

At about an hour into the hunt, I was learning to recognize the iron falses and nail tones from good tones. And then I hit a very recognizable penny tone and VID at 86. There were a lot of iron sounds mixed in as well but the 86 kept popping through. I imagined it was a large nail or big iron false but since I was investigating all targets, I had to dig it. When I opended the hole, I found a handful of nails, a piece of thin iron strapping and laying among the clutter was an unmistakable penny shape. My first thought was how did a Zincoln get down that deep? When I pulled it out, I was looking at a 1911 Wheat penny! I couldn't believe it. That was the oldest coin I have found in my 2 years of detecting in Colorado so I was pretty excited.

The next day we were out at the site for a few more hours. I had been all over the place the day before like a dog looking for a bone, but decided to go back and work the area where I found the wheat penny and then it happened. I was almost hypnotized by the constant low hum of iron when an unfamiliar but solid 50 popped through. I thought it might be another button or piece of jewelry or something and then I saw something amazing in the hole!

GT-2b.JPEG

GT-2c.JPEG

GT-2e.JPEG

GT-2l.JPEG

GT-2m.JPEG

Another first for me! I know these things may seem trivial to you more experienced detectorists, but but this is like the Holy Grail to me. I never expected to be able to find something like this and now I feel like I actually can. More than that, I feel a little more like I'm one of you.  I must say I am even more happy with the D2 as I learn it more and I believe it's good reputation in iron is well deserved.

GT-2p.JPEG

GT-2h.JPEG

GT-2k.JPEG

GT-2i.JPEG

That is a very good hunt. Nice relics. Where did the bottles show up?

Wow, Cap'n. That is a really good haul. 🏆 Shame you didn't get many buttons... 🤔 at least not really old ones. Is that a heart shaped locket and some cufflinks?

I'd say you are pretty experienced if you could pick that penny and nickel out of the iron, that's not just lucky. 👍

Nice pictures, it must have been a fun event. 🙂

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Wow, Cap'n. That is a really good haul. 🏆 Shame you didn't get many buttons... 🤔 at least not really old ones. Is that a heart shaped locket and some cufflinks?

I'd say you are pretty experienced if you could pick that penny and nickel out of the iron, that's not just lucky. 👍

Nice pictures, it must have been a fun event. 🙂

This site has been hit hard by the detecting club for many years. One Great Seal button was found on this outing that I know of so far.

That is a heart pendant next to what I think is a mother of pearl button or pin (the back mount was gone). Here's a closer look.

GT-2sCombined.jpg

GT-2t1Combined.jpg

GT-2q.JPEG

GT-2r.JPEG

This one says "Underall Brand" on it

GT-2u.JPEG

And here's the Wheatie. 

At first I thought the Fleur de Lis button was Boy Scouts, but now I'm not so sure. Could be a French button, context is everything. 👍 Nice! You did very well.

WTG👍Judging by all the non fe targets you found, there’s probably still plenty more there.  The D2 like all w all XP machines are fantastic in iron, and more time you get on it the less you’ll be digging, especially the BIG iron. 

Aaron

Looking at all those finds I'd say you did as good or better then any of us would have at that spot. Nice hunt and thanks for sharing.

strick 

Great finds on the hunt, congrats.

Good luck on your next outing.