First Key Date Coin

I was fortunate enough to dig my first Key Date coin this afternoon. A 1886 Liberty Head/V Nickle in Good Condition. It is fully toned to brown but the detail is there.

I was working an area where a bathhouse stood for swimmers, circa 1895-1946. Very busy ground so I was running the Vista X with 8" Concentric coil. I had been over this area several times with other detectors using larger coils. This immediate area has produced the oldest coins I have found so far, including two Liberty Seated Dimes & a Shield Nickle,  I won't grumble about digging Lots of shotshell heads anymore.

Same here, I'm lucky to get any details, and they are red. 😀20221019_190051.thumb.jpg.507215807a0656fc754b095aa20a45d8.jpg

Excellent find!

Thanks all. I need to go to the trouble of learning to post photos. I do not use a smart phone so I have to enlist my wife's help. She is afraid my grubby finds will somehow damage her phone.

Let's see if this posting photos thing works.

These are some finds from this past weekend from the same site. I will photo the 1886 V & post it also.

Thanks for the encouragement to learn something new.

IMG_7219.JPG

IMG_7218.JPG

56 minutes ago, JCR said:

Let's see if this posting photos thing works.

These are some finds form this past weekend from the same site. I will photo the 1886 V & post it also.

Good pics (and finds), but you're not getting my thumbs up until I see that 1886 nickel! 

2 hours ago, JCR said:

Thanks all. I need to go to the trouble of learning to post photos. I do not use a smart phone ...

I do not use a smartphone too , I always use a digital camera for my detecting pics . You will do better pics with a camera than with a smartphone, especially in low light  ... I use a sony RX100 mk1  

@palzynski You are right. I came home after work and did my best to photograph the 1886 Nickle with my wife's I Phone. I could not get a good close up focus. I guess the toning of the coin leaves little contrast. We talked about an adapter lens that is available as an accessory, so now I have an idea for a Christmas present!  After 45 years together she is kind of hard to buy for.

@GB_Amateur  I will get your Like at some point by posting a decent photo.  I'm having technical difficulties and all that.

Thanks to all for the response.

9 hours ago, JCR said:

@palzynski You are right. I came home after work and did my best to photograph the 1886 Nickle with my wife's I Phone. I could not get a good close up focus. I guess the toning of the coin leaves little contrast.

You could not get a good focus because probably you were below the iphone minimum autofocus distance . All the cameras and smartphones have a minimum focus distance . It is usually written on the camera lens side . 

For example the minimum focus distances for my Sony RX100 are 10,4cm and 37,1cm .   10,4 when the zoom is at the minimum ad 37,1 at the max , look at the pic below . .  Then I need to be at least 10,4cm further from the target to get a correct focus ( impossible to focus if the target is closer than 10,4cm with this camera ) . I dont know this distance for an iphone ..

Capture.PNG