Manticore @ The Drained Lake

That ring was the first ring to come up yesterday when I was trying to figure out if I was in the right spot for the beach. I had just dug a few coins from the mid to late 1960s and was actually just hoping for a silver dime.  I guess you could say I was cherry picking the best high reading signals first.  There's so many targets (lots of fishing sinkers) in the low to mid range, that I believe there's also going to be gold to eventually come out of there...but it's going to take some work digging every signal.  Why there are so many fishing sinkers there is the bigger mystery to me, because there's absolutely nothing for the fishermen to get snagged on in that area. 

Mom said she remembered that ring so well because she had a fit over it when it was given to her sister.  The stone is a red garnet and that's mom's favorite color and birthstone. Her sister was older but the red garnet didn't have anything to do with her birthday month or anything. I don't think she had it long before she lost it either.  It is a pretty amazing story. That would have made it my great grandmother's gift. Mom didn't think it was one of her personal rings but was a gift she got for her...but who knows. Most times when you find a ring, it's just a ring and you don't know the background story to it.  When I found that one, it was the same way. I could tell it was silver and had a stone but that was it until mom saw it and filled in the back story to it.  

When I go back to the site, I'll start right there at the "old" beach and not move. I didn't have much time left yesterday. Hopefully the water doesn't come up any and that I did a good enough job filling my spots to not arouse curiosity from other hunters that are going to hunt the "new" beach.  Even if they do try it for a bit, if they are like most around here, it won't take but digging a few fishing sinkers or pull tab and they'll abandon it.  

yep I love the trash as i separates the men from the boys lol...Hoping you get a gold ring out of that new spot...

strick

14 minutes ago, Daniel Tn said:

Even if they do try it for a bit, if they are like most around here, it won't take but digging a few fishing sinkers or pull tab and they'll abandon it.  

That's what separates us here on DP from the rest. It's a special group.

I actually like digging lead. Makes nice shiny new bullets.

19 minutes ago, JCR said:

I actually like digging lead. Makes nice shiny new bullets.

I throw them into my melting pot and pour them into other fishing stuff.  My hobbies are fishing #1 first and foremost, Indian artifact hunting, and then metal detecting.  I don't mind digging them either...especially when it's time to start pouring jig heads for crappie.

Holy cow -- what an amazing story, Daniel!  That is just incredible!!!

And you know what -- the picture with the mountains in the background...what a BEAUTIFUL place!  I LOVE the Appalachians!

Steve