Wireless Or Not Wireless, That Is The Question

55 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It's all just blah blah blah. In my perfect world I want a waterproof Ace Apex that performs like a Deus 2. Somehow the weight would not kill me, and I'd much prefer forty inexpensive coils in all sizes to choose from than whatever XP chooses to allow us to have. But again, that's just me and my preferences. As it is somebody will make one if XP does not. It's only a matter of time as that is the nature of tech - always more for less eventually.

The Apex has lackluster performance, but is very close to my ideal form factor for a metal detector. And if 2.5 lbs with wired coils is too much for you, maybe time for some strength training. :smile:

garrett-ace-apex-multifrequency-metal-detector.jpg

In my perfect world that Apex would also have a PI/VLF selector switch for Culpeper.  :laugh:

1 hour ago, Geezer said:

Do you have a checklist for this or just remember it? If you carry more detectors with you it seems like it could get complex in a hurry. I carry spare batteries and coil bolts etc in my 5 gal bucket tool box along with tools, but that is about all I can manage without writing it down.

No checklists, I just make sure I have backup options if I forgot to do something the night before.

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Thank God the wireless Carrot takes a 9 volt.

Do you mean a rechargeable 9 volt?  :laugh:

Since we are all bitchin' 😄 I mean rationally discussing our preferences, I just want a waterproof GPX 5000 in a lighter box with an internal battery🤬 If they make it in the shape of a tire tube it will float 😆. No weight at all.

59 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Since we are all bitchin' 😄 I mean rationally discussing our preferences, I just want a waterproof GPX 5000 in a lighter box with an internal battery🤬 If they make it in the shape of a tire tube it will float 😆. No weight at all.

It's kind of like Festivus for metal detectors.  It's time for the "airing of grievances". :laugh:

I thought the Axiom was basically the GPX in a waterproof housing?  

Speaking of weight...I just recently re-acquired the first target ID machine I ever owned. The Fisher CZ-70.  Back when it was first introduced, it was cutting edge. I've not had one in over 2 decades now. I put the 10.5 coil on it...and you want to talk heavy and unbalanced?  Wow. That joker is a wrist strainer.  I fired it up and went outside. Ground balanced it and it will only beep on 1 target in my test garden.  1 out of 7 targets. *Most* all the newer machines will get them all.  

I agree though...I'd love to have Deus 2 performance and adjustability, with a Minelab menu and screen. And Minelab's coil attachment area.  I didn't buy the Deus for the wireless stuff; I bought it for the outstanding reputation for hunting iron and the newest SMF technology for hunting beaches.  For the record, I wasn't a big fan of the Deus 1. It was mostly an audio thing for me. If the D2 wouldn't have offered the Square tone audio option, I probably wouldn't have bought one.  As odd as that probably is.  

Geez, I didn't think my dissatisfaction with wireless would quite go this far, I wasn't saying they should ditch the wireless coil design entirely, I was saying instead of their "silly" antenna that people are running virtually right up to the control box anyway and doing all sorts of mods to make it suitable, my thoughts were it would be more logical to have a plug connector on the detector itself so you could get a longer antenna designed for the purpose that just connects directly to the control pod bypassing the wireless, they could even do a connector like the Equinox charge cable with the magnets and a clipping system to hold it on better in water so to not compromise waterproof integrity and they could even continue to use their little clip system for the antenna on the coil but make it multi purpose to have a coil cable clip on there too and go up to the control box, it wouldn't even need to be a thick wire adding weight so many people seem so paranoid about a couple few grams as all its doing is carrying the screen output data/audio is my understanding, no thicker than the existing antenna wire although better quality, I've read about the early signs of corrosion on the antennas already. 

It would be a tiny design change having a connector on the control pod to bypass the wireless in this way.  I'm sure they can work out a good way to have a connector on the pod for this purpose without compromising waterproofing, even if it has to be a clip system like the coil has modified for the task.

That would just eliminate the need for wireless transmission for those that don't want it and give a more reliable feed for people bouncing in and out of water, or doing tasks where the wireless is more trouble than it's worth. 

Ideally as Steve stated they could make a Deus II "heavy edition" for those that want a standard design detector that doesn't need to have wireless, it would offer cheaper coils that's for sure.  There is a part of the market they're missing out on having this wireless design, they may just not want them as customers but I bet they do.   The Dues 2 (heavy) could also have small coil support not needing the wireless stuff and brain of the detector in the coils.  A Deus 2 might be pretty good on small gold with a 5" round coil.

I understand people like the wireless design, I personally don't, It annoys me on my Deus 1, I now have to charge my coils as well and I can't go near water, I have some antenna thing but It's not going to happen, I'd rather use a different detector if water is involved.

13 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

...Charging three different components that don't have the same amount of battery life is a pain in the ass....

There are only 2 components to charge with the D2 WS6 master version , the coil and the wireless headphones. Then not different from "wired" detectors where you have to charge the CB and the wireless heaphones ... At least XP offers the choice for those wanting simple and affordable devices ..

Concerning the battery life issue , I charge my D2 every 2 or 3 outings  , always both the coil and headphones together . I have never had any charge issue with my D2 in the field . I didnt even know that the coil and headphones battery life were different ...