Minelab Manticore Vs Equinox 800/900 For Gold Nuggets

Minelab Manticore vs Equinox 800 vs Equinox 900 for Gold Nugget Prospecting.  I’ve been keeping my lips tight on this subject long enough.  It’s to the point now I have to ask you the general public for input.  After all, we have members on DP from other countries and maybe you can chime in as well?  But for everyone reading, what do you think is the better detector for chasing Au nuggets and also do you feel is the best overall vale?  Yes this is a 2 part question and it’s just your opinions so nobody is wrong.

PROVEN -

31C.thumb.jpg.3a6095fca9bd1300720865eeebc4cc92.jpg7oz1C.thumb.jpg.eeede61281edcb237783f511bae1f774.jpg

We all know (well at least my Field Staff Experts and I…as well as most of my customers who’s taken our Field Training at Rye Patch NV, the last 3 yrs) how well the Equinox 800 performs and the 10X of features why it’s a better performing VLF gold detector than the Monster and most other class detectors.  Don’t get me wrong, the Monster is a great detector for many and those who like to hand a simple Turn on and Go detector to a friend or family who wants to give it a try on occasion.  But there’s many shortcoming on the Monster I wish it had.  Brain flash…Oh my…the next detector “The Monster 2000”.  Heck maybe that’s why I’m feeling shorted with the Manticore?  Again EQ-800 is proven and golden.

Proven:

BBTrav0919B.thumb.jpg.d5b7366e3bc69df4267941c4f3220e10.jpgBBTrav08191.thumb.jpg.5768206f64460c113945ec815a95def2.jpgDeanne1.jpg.6aad67a2a66c171fe6bd132d17b454e4.jpg

Lets back up a few years just before Equinox being released to General Public.  Jan. 2018 Dealers were invited to an Equinox Introduction.  Minelab had a big meeting in AZ to educate dealers (at least the ones who took the time to show up), how the Equinox series (EQ-600/800) was going to be the flag ship sub $1000 detector.  Minelab was on their A game and even brought the big guns from Australia in to share this exciting new technology.  Thanks to all of Minelab who helped put that event together. I know most everyone I spoke with was extremely excited for the future. A few of folks were even lucky enough to stay an extra day and go out into the desert and feel, swing, test the NOX to see for ourselves, very impressed. My Staff was all over it and learned a lot.  Afterwards the big brass from Minelab USA came to Boise and visited me just to make sure I was totally on board and ready to sell the $hit out of them, which I did.

20170929_184004.thumb.jpg.94cf9c7241bfa53a2465bd676b51d9c2.jpg

Sadly, we didn’t get such dog/pony show for the Manticore, well not us in the US anyway as of yet?  Did any other countries get a red carpet treatment on it and how well it will do for Gold Prospecting?  We still have time though, but you’d expect a detector that was shown way back in August of 2022 and now it’s March of 2023, well it’s never to late and I’ll give them a pass as they are releasing a detectors left and right, (EQ-700, EQ-900, Manticore, X-Terra Pro) so their time is limited.

Here is why I am a little skeptical.  Now folks, I’m no genius and no I’m no more special than anyone else, but I’ve reached out more than once to (I won’t say their names) and have yet to hear back.  Realize, I’m just 1 guy and they probably get asked by many.  Plus all those other new detectors coming out…back to me being a little skeptic. 

A simple quick view of the Manticore and what I see missing?

where.jpg.4dd236463387b16f35b33da109702a92.jpg

EQ-800 and EQ-900 both have 2 Gold Prospecting Modes and the Manticore Only has 1.

EQ800/900 both have option of the small 6” sniper coil.  Heck the EQ-900 comes with 2 coils including the 6” sniper coil in the box for only $1100 in the US.  Manticore does not even give us the option for that small coil.  We get a bigger 8” coil option instead for some unknown price yet to be seen?  Heck, anyone who knows anything about VLF class gold detectors realizes the importance of the smallest coil possible and there are 10+ proven gold detectors out there proving the small 5 and 6” coils are KILLER on small gold.  But not even an option for the Manticore?

RonW61.thumb.jpg.7084a3269f68b4c067920f6bb827f2f1.jpg

EQWLMTA.thumb.jpg.ea403d97fa90d76adba275c0bb7c7eca.jpg

When I view all the upgrades of the EQ-900 and see the additional $180 sniper 6” coil comes with it in the box,  I see value.   In fact since the EQ-900 has the same 2 Gold Modes as the EQ-800, I lean again to the “Proven” as well.  Not so with the Manticore, or at least yet. 

Maybe I’m just very cautious of the last 6 months (half a year) of hearing all the great about the Manticore?  Maybe in 6 months (or next year) all this will be proven?  Or maybe the Manticore is mainly geared toward the masses?  I did see and wondered???? The Manti is missing the 4 kHz Setting the EQ-800 and EQ-900 have.  Not sure why it’s not on the Manticore?  We know the masses are General Purpose Coin/Relic hunters and then Beach/Water swingers.  Prospectors, we’re less than 10%, maybe even less than 5% of the general public who detects.

Here’s a quick overview I observed without going into each individual feature. Yes all 3 units come with wireless headphones, cables, chargers and screen protectors.

Equinox 800 is $900, comes with an 11” DD coil (price dropped a few months ago) and it’s a proven gold detector.  After becoming the #1 seller for me and many others under $1000, many folks encounters a few flaws (arm cuffs, shaft wobble, ear cracks, leaks, wireless headphones).  The good thing is Minelab provides a 3 year transferable warranty and they take care of their customers.  I honestly feel if you take any product and it becomes so popular, most everyone’s uses it, then there will be more people complaining as well, it’s simple math.  Minelab has done a pretty good job trying to keep most of us happy with our EQ-600/800s, including me.

Equinox 900 is $1100, comes with an 11” DD coil and a 6” DD Sniper coil.  Has the upgraded collapsible carbon fiber shaft (like the Manti), has a new improved arm cuff (so does the Manti), better quality Waterproofing to 16” (so does the Manti), better improved wireless headphones (so does the Manti), Vibrating Arm Grip (just like Manti), Night Hunting light (yes the Manti does), twice the Digital ID #’s (yes to the Manti), Iron Bias 0 to 9, like the Manti, Recovery Speed 1 to 8, just like Manti, more segments of DISC = 119, Manti only has 0 to 99. Lighter than the Manti…all this for $500 less.

Manticore is $1600 and comes with a single 11” DD coil.  Again, no option for the small 6” Sniper coil.  One less Gold Mode than EQ-800/900?  But we do get the colored LCD screen with 2D readout.  Yes there are a couple other small things and one big thing, MORE POWER.  Yes, I’m most certain the Manti will get a little extra depth vs the EQ-800/900 and for those who are Coin/Relic/Beach hunters, the Manticore just might be that perfect $1600 detector.  For us Prospector Hunters, maybe we might look at the new improved Equinox-900 as our go to VLF class?  I don’t know on the Manticore yet, but I do know how well the EQ-800 has done for my guys and many customers for the last 4 yrs.

Again,  I’m not saying the Manticore is no good, quite the opposite actually as I did find all the gold jewelry in Cancun with it on my vacation in Dec.

20221218_193041.thumb.jpg.2d022ca1e54a62c82f8b37f00c412a39.jpg

(update to the bigger diamond ring, appraisal came back at $5400). 

20221207_075417.thumb.jpg.b5763eeaf3574ce2414eab282a9eca59.jpg20221207_075631.thumb.jpg.be93e03b649545f1ea5785f0f94e7309.jpg

I've also witnessed there is at least 1 inch more in depth for coin hunting with the Manticore.  I seen this myself on a side by side comparison with a staff member who has the EQ-900 (which he loves).  I just wonder if the Manticore is geared more towards the masses and us Prospectors need to stay Equinox for the near future?

I’m all ears to hear anyone's thoughts and comments and especially from those who have used the Manticore for gold nugget hunting.  Maybe us Prospectors should be sticking with the proven Equinox 800 or upgrading to the improved Equinox 900?

17 hours ago, MSC said:

Too many rings to put in your teeth Gerry. Nice finds. 

Only 11 of those rings were gold and then 2 other pieces of gold, the 14K white gold diamond heart my wife added to her collection and the yellow gold necklace pendant with the small diamonds and a blue sapphire. 

I was happy with my water finds.

Now I want to know how this machine is so great for Gold Prospecting or not.  If it's really not designed for Nugget Hunting, no big deal as I have proven detector.  But many of my potential clients want to know before they purchase.  Right now, I don't know what to tell them.

20221206_182307.jpg

Mant8.jpg

So, in my discussion with a person at Minelab Australia which I won't name names as there is no need he said the Manticore should not be any worse than an Equinox 800 for prospecting as I pointed out I'm not quite sure its on par with the Nox 800 on very tiny gold, we are talking 0.00X of a gram type stuff which they are going to look into, hard to judge at the moment without smaller coils though.  On slightly bigger gold I see them performing very similar, with the Manticore having the extra sensitivity settings which push it in front of the Equinox if you can run in them due to EMI.  At the moment this is based off 11" vs 11" coils.

I hope Coiltek comes out with a 5" or 6" round for the Manticore, that'll be fantastic.

Having the two Gold modes is just a shortcut seeing you can turn Gold 1 into Gold 2 by adjusting settings, so having only 1 on the Manticore doesn't really change anything and doesn't change my life at all.

This is according to the Manticore manual why they didn't bother with 4 kHz as a single frequency.

"MANTICORE does not have a 4 kHz single frequency
setting. Instead, the All Terrain High Conductors Search
Mode provides a Multi‑IQ+ based mode that can achieve an
operating frequency even lower than 4 kHz. This provides
the benefits of a low frequency/high power mode for
detection and discrimination of high conductors, while
retaining the substantial benefits of Multi‑IQ+."

I guess they felt it wasn't necessary to put it on there seeing it was an add-on on the old Equinox to somehow please Asian buyers, I still don't get that but perhaps the EMI in 5kHZ was a big issue for them and 4kHz moved off that enough.

According to Minelab this is why 4kHz exists,

"A new Single Frequency of 4 kHz has been added to the existing 5, 10, 15, 20 and 40 kHz options. This new 4 kHz frequency enhances the detection of large deep targets, particularly those found in parts of Asia. As a result of optimising for these conditions, this new frequency may respond differently for users compared to the other single frequencies. "

At this stage it's going to come down to coils, and how well the 8x5.5" compares to the 6" when it's tiny gold we are talking, it's possible with the coil getting narrower at the front and back it may exceed the 6" round on tiny target sensitivity I guess, as the Coiltek 10x5" is hot on tiny gold at the tip and tail way more so than the middle and the 6" round is only hot on tiny gold in the very center of the coil.

As the Gold gets bigger and larger coils are being used like in tailings the extra sensitivity levels and power to the coil may prove the Manticore to be the better choice, it is absolute fact for me the Manticore is deeper on coins in my soil, that's no doubt, will that translate to gold? I think it will.

I've pulled out a 1 gram bit with the Nox at a depth that surprised me due to my milder gold country soils, the Manticore I think would beat it from what I've seen so far.

Tried at true is the Nox 800 and now 900 which is so close to the same detector with a better build quality, awesome detector for a VLF gold machine, however I think with time and experience the Manticore will better it, especially if @Coiltekmake a small coil for it, I really hope so, a 6.5 x 3.5 like the Nel Snake, if Coiltek did that, all bets are off, the Manticore is the winner, and sales will go through the roof for the coil.

A-CO-NEL-PARENT_SNK_1400x.thumb.jpeg.0336891122e55ba41c90159b1ca1050f.jpeg

With everything that I have read and heard so far I see no reason to replace my 800 for the next few years.

I can honestly say that it has served my grandfather and myself quite well and since I added the 10x5 coil I just can't see something that can beat it right now.

This does not mean that there is something better out there, but for an all around use detector I don't think it can be beat.

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

I hope Coiltek comes out with a 5" or 6" round for the Manticore, that'll be fantastic.

I also hope we don’t have to wait 3 more years for Coiltek coils for the Manticore like we had to wait for the Nox.  I don’t know if ML realizes it or not (which makes me question their overall consumer business model savvy if they don’t), but simply striking a licensing deal for the embedded coil interface electronics with Coiltek for accessory coils in manner that enables Coiltek to release accessory coils for M-core in a time frame similar to or even faster than ML’s spool up of their own M-core accessory coils could actually tilt fence sitters into purchasing an M-core without ML having to invest any additional capital.  Their track record of aloof behavior with respect to accessory coil options and availability from a customer demand perspective makes them appear to be blind to this fact.  And I’m not just talking small circular coils, but an elliptical slightly bigger than what is presently envisioned would be welcomed by non-prospecting users to fill the remaining gap between the stock and the planned ML 8x5.5.  A solid coil body or skid plate variant option would also be welcomed.

Thanks for chiming in Simon.  Yes, the bigger concern to me is the coil size and why not keep what we already have been making, the 6"?  After all, it proven.  On that note, I already reach out to Trevor and what's interesting??? You/I are on the same page able a really small elliptical coil.  I asked him for a 6" to 7" Ellip approx 3.5" across.  Also asked for an 18" x 3" similar to the old Big Foot.  They could call it the "Beast Foot".  That coil is tops when urban detecting schools/parks and planted hunts.  18" of ground coverage per sweep and dead accurate pinpointing at the end of the coil every time. I know of a few beach hunters in dry sand who used them all the time.

Sure the manual may say something to the effect of only needing 1 gold mode. Why take away what you already have and then charge $500 more?

Below info from Minelab Equinox 900 Manual on page 14.  Makes sense to me to have 2 after reading what each does.

image.png.f9b35b4f4f0befb24acbf22f7876d10d.png

Both the EQ-900/Manti operate kHz pretty close to the same in Gold Mode at 20, 40, Multi IQ for 900 and 20, 40, IQ+ for Manti.  I just wonder why no 2nd Mode?

Yes the missing 4kHz Setting is not a big deal to me, but it was big enough they decided to add it to the 900 but not on Manticore?  Sure they say the Multi IQ+ covers it even lower than 4 kHz.  Well I would hope so.  The very popular 10+ yr old technology CTX 3030 ran from 1 to 100 kHz and the senior aged 30 yr old Explorer was 1.5 to 100 kHz.  Must have to do with Marketing the 900?

Steve H. - Yes I went back and viewed that very post I started last year.  I was hoping after 2 to 3 months there would be more information and knowledge shared by now for our Gold Hunters.  So far it still seems pretty silent?

I'm starting to feel as you do Steve, the Manticore is more geared towards the masses.  That's perfectly fine with me, I was just hoping to get some official knowledge.  Simon did mention someone of authority said it should be on par.  I guess the verdict is still out.

That's what happens when I'm stuck in long winters.  Keep hoping and dreaming for the next best Gold Detector.

For now, I'll keep telling my customers what I know for Fact. the EQ-800 is proven.  The EQ-900 with the same technology and a little extra, will be proven.  The Manti for gold prospectors... we're still a little in the fog.  Here's the good side.  Hopefully by the time all backlogs are caught up, we'll start seeing results from those who are doing it.

Again,  I'm not down on the Manti at all for the masses and I have proven it's deeper for Coins and did me better on my Cancun trip for gold jewelry.  If that is all I'll see for extra performance in just those 2 categories.  I'm 100% on board and will happily sell it to customers and mention just that.