Plagued By Dinks And Rain… Rye Patch

Recovering from a record breaking Winter of Snow, now we are suffering from near daily Rains.  My Theory is there is so much moisture in the Sierra’s coupled with warm Spring days turns it into afternoon Thunder Storms.  Anyway a person addicted to our hobby has to get out and search for their fix.  This story is about my 3rd trip and just like the first two trips knowing that the ground was subpar for detecting…but, it’s the hunt and hunt we must!  Met my Pard Lucky Larry out of Elko, NV we quickly hoped into my RZR and hit the trail.  Notice I didn’t say Dusty Trail.  We hit several old haunts with limited results at each.  We ended up hunting some new ground, I dropped Larry off on one side of the hill and I drove over it to hunt the other side.  Hour later, I went back to my RZR to pick up Larry and my trusty machine would not start!  During the over a mile hike back to my truck, I figured it was my Fuel Pump…of course no Shade Trees out in the high Desert to confirm my diagnosis.  Lucky I have a winch on my RZR as we would have never got her loaded up, didn’t bother trying to crank it before loading as I knew I’d need every bit of my battery to load it.  It rained on and off as we drove back to camp and continued thru the night.  Next morning we drove to a nearby patch and pulled a few more dinks before I loaded up and left with rain drops just starting to fall.  Back home with my newly Amazon delivered fuel pump, I hoped in the bed of my truck where I left my RZR.  Let’s see if the battery recharged itself, the sucker cranks up! I unload it and take it for a ride in the back 40. Cranked every time I turned it off too!  Still no shade trees, but in my garage I thought maybe it was Vapor Locked?  I read up on it and it’s not uncommon…so if you see my little Red RZR way out in no-man’s land laying in a puddle of oil, know I shed a tear!  It’s Memorial Day and according to Weather report 3 more days of afternoon thunder storms.  Rye Patch area will need a few dry days to get the ground settled down to hear them dinks, but there is always some shallow ducks to get your coil over until better conditions arrive!  Here’s our loot for the day and a half trip…yes, my poke is on the left.  Both Larry and I used the 10x5 Coiltek on our 6000’s…great coil.  Until the next hunt!

LuckyLundy

IMG_4439.jpeg

Moisture in the ground is killer even on the top PI's performance wise.  Trying to hear and sniff out the small pickers on those pounded patches is really tough during normal dry conditions.  You guys did well for your efforts.

Sorry to hear Old Red getting crankie with you.  The bad part now...knowing her ability to totally shut down with no warning and you not wanting to get far off the road.  Sometimes those are worse than a gold skunkin.

At least you were able to spend a little time with Lucky Larry and tell the same old stories.  This time though, you were able to make a new one to tell down the road.  I'm most certain Larry will be telling it much better than you though. LOL.

Thanks for the update.

• The title was changed to Plagued By Dinks And Rain… Rye Patch

Nice hunt with some nice gold for your troubles.

We had a boat that did the same thing and found a bad ground connection, someone had put the wire connector to the block and then tightened it down. I removed the bolt added a star washer and re-tightened it down. Never had that problem again.

Still good gold Lucky, I had 0 luck for a few days around RP after it rained  when I was there a coupple of weeks ago. Good luck nexk time. 

As MSC mentioned, that's pretty good for RP considering how hard it's been detected for 25 yrs.  I noticed Larry had his detector set for bigger gold than you Lundy?  Or is his old ears starting to miss the really small bits?  Great on you both.  Be sure and leave a few for my customers coming up for the training in June.