My Mini Super MDT (minelab Diving Tool)

I like diving. Sometimes I use the Pulsedive, but I was missing a detector with real ferrous discrimination. So I decided to build one. 

This project can be applied to Equinox, X-TERRA Pro and Manticore, as their architecture is very similar. 

I bought an X-TERRA Pro, because it's very capable, it's cheap, has vibration, is goldlover and did the mod of the SOUND UNDERWATER and now I build a shaft for this project. Super simple. 

The shaft is made with 20mm pvc pipe, that fits perfectly for the handle, and made some thickening to fit perfectly, and adding 4 little "wood hairs" in the corners to avoid rotation (Xterra shaft is a bit square). 

The length of the mini shaft is 14cm to the bolt, because I use the eqx 6" coil and the Coiltek 5x10. The photos are with the 6" coil. 

And that's all. Very simple. 

The shaft can go upside down or viceversa. But it's more confortable as shown.

The only thing I don't like it's that the coil wire connection to the pda is a bit exposed. But with a little care, can be used. 

Also, is stealth. Very small, and can be used whereever you want to use it with discretion. 

Underwater can vibrate and sounds like a pointer, so you don't "need" headphones. And you get use to read the ID upside-down very easy.

And you can carry it everywhere. 

For me, is a winner mod 🥇 😁

Hope you find this helpful. 

Screenshot_20230819-212415.png

Screenshot_20230819-212424.png

Screenshot_20230819-212446.png

Screenshot_20230819-212742.png

Screenshot_20230819-212349.png

Screenshot_20230819-212312.png

That is outstanding, if I lived in the topics still, I'd be making one of them tomorrow.   

Interesting mods. I'd still be concerned about water incursion. My understanding is that the charging port is a common area for water leaks. How deep do you figure you can go now?

16 hours ago, cudamark said:

Interesting mods. I'd still be concerned about water incursion. My understanding is that the charging port is a common area for water leaks. How deep do you figure you can go now?

I did not make the modification of the speaker to get more depth, but yes to improve the audio underwater, since once the speaker membrane has been wet, it does not sound.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Great ingenuity, and modding! 👍👍 Something I may suggest (though Unsolicited🙄) to help your design, is a 90° elbow for the coil connection! Gotta be out there somewhere by now! Maybe Tony Eisenhower knows, or can make?🤔

I'm guessing that the coil so close to the pod isn't causing any issues, as the detector is nullifying it upon startup??

One other question I have, is can the pod easily convert back to regular shaft use, and configuration? Looks like it does, but had to ask!

I can see a few old "land" Noxes being converted to this soon for kneeling nugget duty!!😁

Great job!🍀👍👍

15 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Great ingenuity, and modding! 👍👍 Something I may suggest (though Unsolicited🙄) to help your design, is a 90° elbow for the coil connection! Gotta be out there somewhere by now! Maybe Tony Eisenhower knows, or can make?🤔

I'm guessing that the coil so close to the pod isn't causing any issues, as the detector is nullifying it upon startup??

One other question I have, is can the pod easily convert back to regular shaft use, and configuration? Looks like it does, but had to ask!

I can see a few old "land" Noxes being converted to this soon for kneeling nugget duty!!😁

Great job!🍀👍👍

Hi Joe! 

Thanks for your comments, it's a happiness seeing that this invention seems so useful for you all. 

I did not add 90° elbow on the coil, because the shaft allows coil to accommodate 180° rotation perfectly. 

And yes, the pod returns to it's original design and position simply by opening the lock and inserting it in the original shaft. You can decide when to use this mini shaft for your convenience again when needed ✌️

It's super tiny! 

Thanks Joe! 

13 hours ago, StarVatrex said:

That's the Spanish attitude, if it doesn't exist, I'll make it myself!!!

😁       

It look very nice. And read the numbers backwards, in the case of the Xt Pro... it doesn't matter. 🙃

Of course it is discreet!

Regards.

Yeah TarVatrex 🤭! Así somos jeje

I think reading backwards is not so important due most of water hunters use 2 tones... ferrous yessss or no: dig it.