Do You Tape Or Seal Scuff Covers?

Do You Tape Or Seal Scuff Covers?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tape or seal metal detector search coil scuff covers / skid plates?

• I use a fitted cover with no tape or sealant
    • I tape my scuff covers
    • I use a sealant on my scuff cover
    • I don’t use scuff covers and take them off coils that come with them
    • No preference, I just use whatever comes with the coil - cover, no cover, taped cover, etc.

1 hour ago, DSMITH said:

probably a simple answer to this but

What is detector tape if you do not mind me asking

It's cloth tape that you can buy at detector shops and that is purposly made for detecting

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

I use the Coiltek black tape. They have it usually on all coils that they ship. NF uses the same.

https://seriousdetecting.com/products/coiltek-black-cloth-tape-for-metal-detector-coil

12 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Thanks, I'll snag some, only $5 at Super Cheap Auto! 

The Calibre Tape-It is a silicone self-fusing tape available in a range of colours. It has an incredible 950 PSI tensile strength, which insulates 8000 Volts per layer. The tape is able to withstand 500 degrees Farenheit of heat, while remaining flexible to -60C. The tape is able to create a permanent and air and water-tight seal within seconds without leaving a gummy or sticky residue, unlike other electrical or duct tapes, therefore there is no messy clean up! The versatile Tape-It has an extremely long shelf life which allows you to keep it on hand for whenever you need it. Whether you need to seal leaky pipes, create extra grip on your tools or sporting equipment, or waterproof electrical connections, the tape does it all. It even works

Simon let us know how it performs in your locations.

• Like 2

Point proven, you mean this tape, which is $8.60 NZD per roll, $5.11 USD and that Ebay listing from Serious Detecting is $18 per roll on Ebay and their website...  I bet it's even cheaper in the US.

STYLUS 370 BLACK CLOTH TAPE 24MM X 25M – Panastore New Zealand

It's nothing to do with detecting, no tape manufacturer makes tape for detecting.  Some detector coil manufacturers and dealers are claiming tapes made for other purposes are for detecting and charging a premium for them.

I'd be quite annoyed if a local dealer tried this stunt and would be calling them out.

• Like 3

Miners Den Au associates the tape with NF...lol. Bottom line, it's always the same tape material and is used by both Coiltek and NF for their coils

https://www.minersden.com.au/nugget-finder-evo-3m-88t-skid-plate-tape

I answered (voted) as if you were referring to nugget hunting machines.  Those I will tape. Turf and relic hunting I will just hunt with the coil cover no tape or sealant...water hunting and beach I take the coil cover off and go buck naked..

strick

• Haha 2

I tape nugget hunting coils that are solid (not open spoked) so that the cover won't come off and so as little as possible dirt gets inside. I also tape open spoked coils on the outside rim since I am a coil scrubber and the places my open spoked coil covers wear out first is on the outer rim from banging them into rocks and boulders when nugget/relic hunting or trees and concrete when coin and jewelry hunting.

I just use 3M brand black or white electrical tape that I buy for around $3 US for the small roll.

• Like 1

I tape the GPZ / Monster coil's, Just gotten into a habit of just pulling off NOX coil cleaning then snapping back on.... 

• Like 1