Do You Tape Or Seal Scuff Covers?

Do You Tape Or Seal Scuff Covers?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tape or seal metal detector search coil scuff covers / skid plates?

• I use a fitted cover with no tape or sealant
    • I tape my scuff covers
    • I use a sealant on my scuff cover
    • I don’t use scuff covers and take them off coils that come with them
    • No preference, I just use whatever comes with the coil - cover, no cover, taped cover, etc.

There wasn't a box to check on what I do. I don't tape, glue, or do anything special to keep the coil cover sealed or prevent it from falling off (I've never had that problem). What I do instead of constantly having to pull off the cover to remove any black sand build up, is to just drill some holes in the cover, and flush out anything that may have gotten inside with a hose after a hunt. An added bonus is that it removes a tiny bit of weight too.

• Like 2

I just use a few times around with electrical tape and change it when it starts getting ragged. I have used the silicone self fusing tape on other things with benefit, so I might upgrade to this at some point. I find it to be fairly expensive otherwise I’d find even more uses for it. I think it would be superior in terms of cushioning against rocks. 

• Thanks 1

I'm a beach hunter. In the water less is more.

I usually remove the protector, it's incredible what it weighs with sand included...

I use fluorescent yellow 3M tape. How long does it last? Depends on the waves.

This is how the Xt Pro coil has been after the last hunt...

IMG_20230825_085726.jpg

IMG_20230825_090256.jpg

• Like 1

Only coil cover that i use is on the Deus coil,main reason is the battery access and if i ever needed to change the battery........on all my other 50+ coils i run them without coil cover,never ever had any issues in all the years that i have been detecting.

Of course its personal choice but never use them.

• Like 1

Water hunting I take the covers off especially at the beach. The rest of the time I keep them on especially in rough grounds with rocks around to prevent chipping.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention that I have a 1/2” wide large rubber band that goes around the coil and covers edge and the rubber band is covered with black electrical tape which keeps the band from slipping off. The rubber band is good cushioning against rocks. I got the bands ( like 7” diameter) off eBay. I suppose they come in other sizes as well. I don’t have one for my 11” coil. With silicone fusion tape it probably provides enough cushioning alone. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the new coil prices - I keep the coil cover on my new D2 coil. I found a great tip on this forum so I wouldn't break a charging clip......Thanks!   I like having the covers included with the coil and I can make the choice.

image.jpeg