Beach Hunt 2023 Has Started

13 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Finding just one of something you want to find , even over two days is not even close to a skunk . Which is a very good place to be ! 😉

But I need more 😆

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Beach hunt # 7 was a Friday the 13th hunt. 😲 I finally got myself to try a beach I have never been to. I was a bit leery since I selfishly wanted to continue my silver streak, but it ended up well. From Google earth, I saw areas I wanted to try, so I hit a spot there, similar to my other beaches. I was hoping for about 15” of sand followed by a solid clay layer, but after digging a test hole to 24” I never hit bottom. So that meant things could go way deeper than I could detect. Bummer. I wandered around for about 2 hours with not much luck and I was about to head out to another beach, (also that I have never been to), but fortunately I stumbled onto a copper cent. So, I stopped to grids the area, and it started to produce a lot of coins in a relatively small area. I couldn’t believe how these coins could be missed, as a lot of the beach was very quiet. I even saw dig holes from someone else close to where the coins were coming up. But digging a deeper hole, I found out why. There are not many places the GPX struggles, but the black sand in this area was the richest I have ever seen at a beach. The Garrett pinpointer could barely pick up a dime at 1” in that black sand. Small targets were almost impossible to pinpoint. I was fortunate enough to get some silver, including a nice filigree heart locket with what I think is a piece of amber inside of it, along with its broken chain. Also found was random silver bead and what I believe to be an odd silver pendant. I looked it up and there are lots of these bar pendants that you can have engraved. Never seen one of these. So, a great finish to a sparse beginning. Not sure I will go back there until there is some erosion, but I did way better than I thought I would.

20231014_183329.jpg

20231014_184135.jpg

20231014_184921.jpg

20231014_184425.jpg

20231013_144952.jpg

Nice hunt School!

That is some mean black sand, looks a lot like my local beach with the fine white stuff shot through with black. 🙄 Probably why I don't find much there. All I ever get is water at 24", sometimes sooner but that's the Potomac. 😀 The deep beer cans always sound great tho.

Nice pendant and one of your pieces of bling (lower left) looks like something I would look at later - very closely - to see if it was part of a cut coin.

That's some digging. 👍

Great hunt, sohN, well done! It good to venture outside of your comfort zone every now and then. It keeps you sharp and sometimes, as you found out, it pays off. 😎 

sohN 24" ? that's not black sand , you hit oil ! 🤠 

Lots of the old familiar junk but it seems like there's always some treasure no matter where you're hunting . Or which detector you're using.👍

You do realize that I've developed expectations when you post a hunt ? 😏

If I get to a beach and see you leaving , I expect I'll just keep going !🤔

Keep on keepin' on ! You're an inspiration to this old pirate .🖖

On 10/14/2023 at 10:02 PM, F350Platinum said:

Nice hunt School!

That is some mean black sand, looks a lot like my local beach with the fine white stuff shot through with black. 🙄 Probably why I don't find much there. All I ever get is water at 24", sometimes sooner but that's the Potomac. 😀 The deep beer cans always sound great tho.

Nice pendant and one of your pieces of bling (lower left) looks like something I would look at later - very closely - to see if it was part of a cut coin.

That's some digging. 👍

Thanks. 24" and still sand is a no go for me. Anything over 15" is not doing me any favors 😄. The bling piece is what's left of one of those fake Atocha treasure coins. Gold covered zinc, I would think. 🤔

On 10/15/2023 at 3:17 AM, CPT_GhostLight said:

Great hunt, sohN, well done! It good to venture outside of your comfort zone every now and then. It keeps you sharp and sometimes, as you found out, it pays off. 😎 

Thank you. If I lived near the shore I would venture out of my comfort zone a lot. But being so far away, I need to play it safe more than I usually would. I'm a wander by trade 😆 so sticking to a familiar area is not as comfortable for me as it seems.

On 10/15/2023 at 10:26 AM, rvpopeye said:

sohN 24" ? that's not black sand , you hit oil ! 🤠 

Lots of the old familiar junk but it seems like there's always some treasure no matter where you're hunting . Or which detector you're using.👍

You do realize that I've developed expectations when you post a hunt ? 😏

If I get to a beach and see you leaving , I expect I'll just keep going !🤔

Keep on keepin' on ! You're an inspiration to this old pirate .🖖

😄 You are safe on any beach I'm at. If you could record me detecting there are plenty of space I miss. I've even went back over my steps and found stuff 🙄 Thorough, I am not. The junk steel was mostly the binding that keeps those stupid slat fences together.... that is until the next storm rips them apart and scatters bits of steel all over the beach. Some of them sound real good when they are small bits. I wish that was oil 😍, but maybe some trace gold in that black sand 🤔. The 24" thing was just a hole I dug to see how far the sand went. The black sand was in another location and was about 6-8" deep, but a solid layer. Usually it's mixed in layers, but this one was a chunk of solid black. Come on down, you can pan some of it for gold 💰

• 4 weeks later...

Beach hunt # 8.  What seems like an eternity from being able to hunt a beach, I finally had a chance to get out. It’s been a while, so I decided to hunt a beach that I have not hunted in about 5 years. Back then, they had the bright idea of dredging up the ocean and piling up that sand on the beach. What a disaster. 😌 They pulled a huge amount of lead and sharp iron objects onto the beach, along with other trash. I understand they need to replenish the missing sand, but the location they picked to get the sand from was terrible. Hence the reason I have not returned there. But I was hoping to catch this beach with some erosion so I could look for the deep ones. Digging a test hole to 20” I never hit any kind of hard bottom. Along with a sanded beach, I noticed these little bits of cut up wire scattered all over this beach. Finding only one copper cent and a new dime in 2 hours was enough to make me run to the car. I couldn’t wait to get out of there. Being only 20 minutes from my second favorite beach, I opted to go there. Great choice. This beach looked like they had already bulldozed the sand level, and a small but decent section of the beach looked fairly low. So, I fired up the GPX and worked this section back and forth. The first good signal was a 9” deep Mercury dime. That’s more like it. 🤗  I spent about 4 hours gridding this patch and was rewarded with 6 silver dimes, a war nickel, and a small silver charm. Also snagged a 1928 Buffalo nickel and some copper cents as well. I don’t know if I can claim the silver streak continues with this much time passing, so I will just say I was very happy to see the first silver pop out. My free time has mostly been spent on the archaeology project. It has been very slow going …. like pulling teeth. I think I’ve only found around 15 round ball in 7 visits, so getting a break to relax and hunt a beach was just what I needed. Needless to say, the next visit will start out there again, possibly trying out some bigger coils. I’m hoping for a few missed deeper targets or maybe finding another patch there, similar to the one I just did. Always nice to see the sun, sand, and ocean.

20231113_142819.jpg

20231113_143540.jpg

20231113_143701.jpg

20231113_144724.jpg

20231113_144736.jpg