First Trip For 2024

Yesterday was a sunny day here in Eastern Oregon, but cold.  I drove to the hills anyway and despite the snow (about 3 inches on the hills), was able to pull out three pieces of gold in some hillsides that were melted by full sun.  Got a .7 gram, a .2 gram & and a two-inch specimen, that I guess has about .25 of a gram.  Total about a gram.  I'm sure there are other members that are having withdrawal symptoms like me, so I guess there is hope.  It is snowing here right now, though, so we'll be shut down hereabouts for a couple of months.

Was using the 6000 and swinging very slow, due to the EMI.  Lots of deep trash, mostly shotgun pellets, bullets, shoe tacks, etc.  I'm really pleased with this detector and the Bluetooth headphones.  (A Gerry recommendation.)  Had to clean the Trailblazer today though.  The sun melted the roads to a muddy mire on the way home.

Gold 1 6 24.JPG

Good job conquering cabin fever by getting out, braving the elements and quenching your gold fever to boot!

Well done, I’d give my left eyeball to be In your climate at the moment, stinking hot summer here, went gold hunting with JW today and the heat near killed us. You did far better on the gold too!

I wonder if the damp ground helped you, it’s always exciting to hit the gold areas here after rain, it seldom rains due to the mountains blocking it but when it does it helps the ground light up with gold.

Its great to see all these new year gold found posts.

19 minutes ago, phrunt said:

stinking hot summer here

Simon, you're getting soft. I heard some good gold was found recently up in Marble Bar, Western Australia.

Probably found by these two old gals. 51C (124F) is getting a tad warm for detecting I guess, but when the gold melts out of the host rock into big blobs it makes for easy detecting.

Marble Bar.jpg

It's usually cooler around breakfast time....you can save energy by cooking outdoors.

Marble Bar beer.jpg

Nice job on the find and that is a nice specimen.

Good luck on your next outing.

Sorry, I shouldn't hijack your post......Anyhow, If you can find the small nuggets then the big ones will take care of themselves.

Maybe my post will help melt away some of your snow.