Time For Me To Jump Onboard And Buy A Legend, Nel Now Make Coils For It

Thanks @phrunt for the heads up.  I followed the link and placed an order request for an "Attack" 15"X15". We'll see.

• Like 1

I can see why a hunter would have a need for the 6.5x3.5, but is the NEL 17x15 going to have more depth on coin sized objects compared to Nokta's 13.5x12.5? Maybe on dollar sized coins lying flat?

The reason I ask, is because we all know the larger the coil, the less sensitive it is to small targets and vice versa. For example, in my ground the 11" round coil will hit a silver dime lying flat, about 1" deeper than the 9.5x6 coil. But, with a dime lying at a 45 degree angle, the 11" coil only hits it about 1/2" deeper. With the dime on edge, there is no difference in depth between those coils.

See what I'm getting at? 🙂

I imagine the really large coil like that is probably for hoard hunters in Europe who aren't chasing a tiny hammered single silver coin, the whole point is, they bring a massive range of coils, something there to suit just about everyone, compared to the limited range available for other top tier VLF detectors on the market, the Legend has now gone from having a usual range to now having a very large range of shapes and sizes.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

I imagine the really large coil like that is probably for hoard hunters in Europe who aren't chasing a tiny hammered single silver coin, the whole point is, they bring a massive range of coils, something there to suit just about everyone, compared to the limited range available for other top tier VLF detectors on the market, the Legend has now gone from having a usual range to now having a very large range of shapes and sizes.

I have not had a chance yet, but plan to try my luck prospecting (Nugget hunting mainly) with my Legend since I live in a gold producing area.  Do you have any thoughts on how the NEL Snake might perform for this task compared to the LG15? 

4 minutes ago, OrBrad said:

I have not had a chance yet, but plan to try my luck prospecting (Nugget hunting mainly) with my Legend since I live in a gold producing area.  Do you have any thoughts on how the NEL Snake might perform for this task compared to the LG15? 

No Idea, I've never used a Legend, someone like @Jeff McClendon may have an idea.  A 6.5x3,5" would likely be more sensitive to small gold than a 6" round though.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OrBrad said:

I have not used a Nel Snake coil. 

I have used the Legend LG15 and LG24 coils for gold prospecting. Both work really well. My only complaint with the LG15 is I wish the coil ears were more center mounted. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, phrunt said:

No Idea, I've never used a Legend, someone like @Jeff McClendon may have an idea.  A 6.5x3,5" would likely be more sensitive to small gold than a 6" round though.

Thanks.  I didn't think you would know but thought perhaps there was some data out there to extrapolate how the Snake has performed on other detectors vs their stock coils that were similar to the LG15. 

My only data like that would be the Gold Bug Pro with its 5" round coil, and the Nel snake on it, and the Snake was more sensitive to small targets, namely gold nuggets by a reasonably noticeable amount.

8 minutes ago, phrunt said:

My only data like that would be the Gold Bug Pro with its 5" round coil, and the Nel snake on it, and the Snake was more sensitive to small targets, namely gold nuggets by a reasonably noticeable amount.

Good to know.  I'm sure there are too many variables to form conclusions but, it sounds like the potential is there.  Hiking into creek bottoms is not as easy as it used to be, so I'd like to be using the best coil for the purpose, especially since the Legend is not a dedicated gold machine.