Perfect Hunting Season

Most of us Prospectors are avid outdoorsman!  You can find us with the same smile on our faces be it fishing or hunting.  This Deer Season my old Buddy NuggetSlayer (Jeff), headed up to the hills to hunt some Deer.  Well early into the hunt on opening day, he took carful aim at a 2x2 Blacktail Buck.  One well placed shot, Jeff let the Deer run over the top of the ridge to bleed out as he hike to find the blood trail to track it down.  It ran a little further than he expected, but the woods opened up and was easy hiking following the Deers trail.  Called his hunting partner on the radio for some help, he had it field dressed ready for the hump back to the truck, when he arrived.  With all the excitement of the hunt, he was dreading dodging all the pine trees and brush on the other side of the hill and down to the truck.  Then it hit him, he was smack in the middle of and old Hydraulic Pit.  He quickly changed from his hunting hat (even though it’s the same dirty one) to his prospecting hat!  Deer hanging at camp and rested up he hiked back to the Hydro Pit and scouted it, he sent me pictures of both Deer and Hydro Pit.  I told him it looks like a no-brainer, just a matter of getting it under the coil and dig it!  We waited well after hunting season to finally get there with our GPZ’s.  Chilly start with the trucks temperature gauge saying 25 degrees.  But the little hike over the ridge made it feel a few degrees warmer, lol.  As any Hydro Pit, plenty of trash...Relics to some, but the wrong color for today’s hunt.  I finally, found a dink and called Jeff on the radio.  Didn’t take him long to find one several yards from me.  Jeff, made a big circle and came back to his spot and heard another possible target at the edge of his dig hole...yep another nugget!  Well to make a long story short, he found a little spot that didn’t get washed away back in the day.  We messed around making his hole bigger and 14 of them 15 nuggets came out of that pay material.  Well this spot is to far for a day trip and it’s way to chilly, until after next Springs snow melt to finish this spot off and to explore the entire Hydraulic Pit.  Now, Jeff can afford some Potato Salad with his Deer Steaks!  Until the next hunt

LuckyLundy

99F74EC2-B93E-4103-82A5-16C5FF63FC22.jpeg

WTG! Always nice to have a new hot spot to hunt; looks like it will be worth the wait.

Lucky,

Good to hear Jeff is still hunting with you. I remember years ago, when he purchased my Minelab SD2200. Great story, and I hope you guys find more.

Dave

Dave,

We still talk about that 2200.  It found us a huge Patch.  But with the hot ground and the noise of the 2200, Jeff was having a problem finding anything under a couple dwts, lol.  He upgraded a few months later to a GP 3000, which Rudy still owns.  GPZ, is the ticket and loves the ground in your neck of the woods...I should be out your way a few times this Winter.

Rick