My First Equinox Gold Nuggets

OK, I am warning you all up front - I still am going to be wishy-washy or outright avoidant of certain details still. The dam is cracking but not burst yet.

Here are the results of a test run with the new multifrequency (MF) option in Gold Mode. I am battling limited time and weather issues so was actually quite pleased to find any gold at all - a few lead bits often tells me just as much, so the gold is a sort of bonus.

Anyway, Equinox 800, Gold Mode, MF, relatively mild ground and so I was pushing sensitivity levels high, 22 - 25. Three nuggets, two of only 0.6 grain each (480 grains per ounce) and one 9.8 grains (0.6 gram). The 0.6 grain nuggets are one smaller, fatter one plus one thin flake.

herschbach-first-gold-nuggets-2018.jpg

What most impresses me about these are not the gold per se. It is the fact these were found with an 11" round DD coil. I am not in a position to be able to excavate these like an archeologist to determine the exact depth they were found at but I can guesstimate based on the holes and sounds. The two tiny bits were found at 1-2 inches, and the 9.8 grain nugget at 3-4 inches.

Just based on this alone and many years of nugget detecting I can tell you the Equinox can hunt gold just fine. How will it stack up against dedicated gold nugget detectors? Frankly, in my opinion that will be determined largely by coils. Operationally I much prefer the 6" x 10" DD on my Gold Monster and hope such a coil becomes available for Equinox. The 11" open web will be "OK" but not a great prospecting coil design which is why no dedicated VLF gold detectors come with one. It hangs up on protruding rocks and stubble and so a solid design would be better, or at least a solid scuff cover. The large coil will false on rocks if struck will at the highest sensitivity levels and low recovery speeds while in Gold Mode and the extra edges just accentuate that tendency. The 6" coil will be nice but more for spot work as covering acres at a time with a 6" round coil....... I want the elliptical. Long story short my Gold Monster is not going anywhere quite yet, but only because of the coil.

The big coil can find small gold however, and should give great performance on larger nuggets at depth, more than an elliptical will get. For a VLF however - always keep that in mind. This is not a Minelab PI or GPZ 7000.

thanks for that Steve and congrats! 11" coil indeed, here's another vote for a 6" X 10" coil for Equinox.

that's the coil size I use for park hunting bigger gold items than your nuggets, lol

Wow, Steve.

I was wondering if your hunt the other day was for gold, and if it was going to produce anything for you.  Looks like it's an "affirmative," on both counts!

Congrats!  And, THANKS for giving us this tidbit of info...

Steve

First line of second paragraph in original post this thread...

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Here are the results of a test run with the new multifrequency (MF) option in Gold Mode.

Yes I tried all sorts of other things (modes, frequencies, etc.) but that all has to wait. I just wanted to give you all a peek at what the machine can do on tiny gold now that it has been revealed that Gold Mode includes the multifrequency option. The “hot” versions of the Park and Field Modes (Park Mode 2, Field Mode 2) are certainly no slouches when it comes to small gold either.

”Park 2 and Field 2 process a higher weighted combination of the Multi-IQ band while still ground balancing for soil. Therefore they will be more sensitive to higher frequency (low conductive) targets, but potentially more susceptible to ground noise.”