On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:30 PM, GB_Amateur said:

That sure is a motley collection of coins.  Is that typical of the condition coming out of salt water in your area?

In particular, though, I'm curious about the middle (I'm assuming copper row) Memorial.  The diameter is quite a bit smaller than its neighbors, but it isn't eaten up like a typical Zincoln.  Is this unusual?  What piques my curiosity is the possibility that it's a wrong planchet strike.  (For example, penny dies striking a dime planchet.)  Those are extremely rare and valuable (although as always, condition of dug coins can really hurt the value).

My computer is really been odd lately. I answered this the other day and now my reply is gone???? So sorry for the delay - Yes this type of corrosion is typical for New England beaches. The Memorial in question is a copper one and has been eaten away both in diameter and thickness. In some flat lying beaches this is what happens to the coins. Some get a hard black crust that needs a hammer to break off, others just wear away like this one did. Silver holds up better but can degrade also. That is why I vote everything (including pull tabs) should be made of gold.....problem solved :cool:

• Like 1

Congrats on the beach finds. I am cleaning up on Long Island, and New York City beaches with my NOX 600. It paid for itself in gold the first month. 

IMG_0341.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terry Soloman said:

Congrats on the beach finds. I am cleaning up on Long Island, and New York City beaches with my NOX 600. It paid for itself in gold the first month. 

IMG_0341.jpg

Nice to get it paid off. That was fast. I have always like my E Trac, CTX and GPX, but this is the first time I can say one of their machines has clicked with me this quick! It's just a pleasure to use.

On 4/10/2018 at 1:08 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Hi Terry,

Welcome to the forum! You made quite a splash with your new Equinox in more ways than one!!

Thank you Steve!:biggrin:

On 8 April 2018 at 11:29 AM, mn90403 said:

I used a 5000 on the beach in Southern California for almost 2 years before I got an SE Pro.  The 5000 couldn't find small chains.  I paid for it with gold I found in the desert.  I paid for the SE Pro and CTX many times over from the beaches.

Wow a bit surprised you saying the 5000 doesn't pick up small chains . We  get them regularly  and unmistakable target . Maybe the different sands . Now using the Nox but I do pull out the 5000 as I love the machine . 

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:33 AM, Judy said:

Wow a bit surprised you saying the 5000 doesn't pick up small chains . We  get them regularly  and unmistakable target . Maybe the different sands . Now using the Nox but I do pull out the 5000 as I love the machine . 

The time I tried it on gold chains it did not hit on them. Silver it hits on just not gold. Maybe I didn't have the correct timing chosen or maybe because I was testing it indoors with lots of EMI. There is a bit of black sand and other purple looking sand here. Also not sure on how high the salt content is. I can hit small targets like tiny stud earrings but not those chains. I will have to try it again. Thanks Judy

• Like 1